Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't have any memory of the adult part of their life span; had the impression it was their total life span.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
NAH, too much work building up their frame and wings to have it all happen in a day. (Thats too much like Poofistic science)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 08:46 am
Quote:
O’Donnell Dodges Evolution Question, Accuses Coons Of Upholding “Tenants” Of Marxism
(Hillary Busis, Mediaite.com, October 13th, 2010)

Tonight’s Christine O’Donnell-Chris Coons debate started out a little dull—barring one SNL-related hiccup. Things started to heat up, though, when moderator Wolf Blitzer began asking O’Donnell how her faith would influence her policies as Senator from Delaware. Specifically, Blitzer cited a remark O’Donnell made to Bill Maher in the ’90s before asking her, point blank, “Do you believe evolution is a myth?” Here’s a play-by-play of what happened next.

O’Donnell was flustered, stuttering that she had been speaking about “what a local school taught” rather than airing her own opinion. When she tried to move on, Blitzer pressed her again to answer the question.

She declined for a second time, saying only, “Local schools should make that decision.” When Blitzer asked her once more what she believed, O’Donnell finally replied in a substantial way—and though she declined to say definitively whether or not she believes in evolution, her answer implied where she stands on this issue.

“What I believe is irrelevant,” O’Donnell began. “What I will support in Washington, D.C. is the ability for the local school system to decide what is taught in their classrooms. And what I was talking about on that show was a classroom that was not allowed to teach creationism as an equal theory as evolution. That is against their Constitutional rights, and that is an overreaching of the arms of the government.”

The GOP candidate then changed the subject, bringing up remarks Coons has made about studying under a Marxist professor. According to O’Donnell, this means that her opponent is, basically, a sickle-wielding Stalinist: “When you look at his position on things like raising taxes–which is one of the tenants [sic] of Marxism—not supporting eliminating the death tax, which is a tenant of Marxism, I would would argue that there are more people that support my Catholic faith than his Marxist beliefs.” As she spoke, Coons raised his eyebrows and mouthed “wow.” When O’Donnell finished, the debate’s audience—students from the University of Delaware—booed.

When the Democratic Coons spoke again, he explained how a remark he had made in an article he wrote in college—about friends calling him a “bearded Marxist”—was meant to be a joke. “I am not now, nor have I ever been, anything but a clean-shaven capitalist,” he concluded, as the audience laughed.

What Coons didn’t do, though, was dispute O’Donnell’s accusation that he had studied with a Marxist professor. According to the Republican candidate, “That should send chills up the spine of every Delaware voter, because then if you compare that statement to your policies—”

“If it were accurate, if it were true, I’d agree,” interrupted Coons.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:53 am
@wandeljw,
The fact that ODonnell made the three time response about how "local schools" should handle the teaching of Evolution or Creation (presumably as science cause she talked about Creation as an equivalent theory to modern EVolutionary Theory).
Everyone missed the point that she would be dead wrong on that assertion since the US Supreme Court had ruled on teaching Creation as SCience back in the late 80's.

Course, she didnt show much knowledge about any USSC decisions when asked.Even the Conservatives are a little miffed at the Citizens United decision.

She is another ultra- extreme lightweight like Palin. Of all the reallybright and educated women out there, Im amazed that the GOP is busy celebrating these two lameheads.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:55 am
@farmerman,
That's because most people are irrational. The proof is evidenced from their belief in the fairy tale about gods; over 80% of Americans believe in one god or another.
Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:21 am
It's because the tea party idiots elected her. For a while, the Republicans were speaking of running a candidate of their own against her, but then, as one would expect, they lost their nerve, having no balls.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:45 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hes much more an effective debator than she.

Everybody knows that we men are much more effective debaters than our womenfolk. The fact that this superiority does not translate into who says what goes has often led me to think that a superior debating technique is something of a disadvantage.

In fact I have a hypothesis which hypothesises, as one might expect a hypothesis to do, that the debating style I see on A2K employed by American men is a desperate ploy to counteract feminine guile and downright devious cunning in order that the severity of the famed "pussy whip" is reduced along with the weight of the ball attached to the chain.

I have seen Ms O Donnell on American news broadcasts and her debating style employs more than just words. Judging it on its words alone is something akin to laying down in front of a rolling train. The sort of thing a misogynist who thinks he's not a misogynist has a distinct penchant for. The ladies, I'm afraid to say, encourage misogynists to think they are not misogynists so that they are easier to pick off. It is the men who recognise their talents and superiority who they fear.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The "hatch" of mayfly adults causes many trout to go nuts and go into a feeding frenzy.

Obviously the best time to go fishing. And come home with a bagful of trout with an explanation to the admirers which misses out that they all jumped onto the hook blinded by gluttonous lust and concentrates upon some technicalities learned from a book written by someone who can catch them at other times.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:01 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
When O’Donnell finished, the debate’s audience—students from the University of Delaware—booed.

My guess is that she was trying to provoke the booing. Then she could polarise the voters into university educated voters and ordinary voters as well as showing that the former are bad mannered and anti-woman and that the latter can be relied upon to support the brow-beaten, bullied underdog.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Of all the reallybright and educated women out there, Im amazed that the GOP is busy celebrating these two lameheads.

Sheesh!! What can anybody say? Live on your own assertions and you end up looking like Humpty Dumpty.

I trust you all know that women decided the last election by a fair old margin. Men were even. Married women were outvoted by a coalition of single women, younger voters and racial minorities.

Quote:
Continuing a pattern established in the 2000 elections, married women supported the conservative, pro-life candidate for President (Senator McCain) while unmarried women supported the liberal, pro-abortion candidate (Senator Obama). According to Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research’s (GQR) analysis of the Edison/Mitofsky National Election Pool numbers, there was a 44-point difference in the voting patterns of married women and unmarried women. GQR concludes that the overwhelming support of unmarried women made Barack Obama the president-elect rather than John McCain.

Unmarried women supported Barack Obama by a 70-to-29 percent margin, and they voted for Democratic House candidates by a similar margin — 64-to-29 percent. These margins mean that unmarried women edged out both younger voters and Hispanic voters as the demographic with the strongest support for President-elect Obama. These unmarried women voters joined with younger voters and people of color to create what GQR calls a “new American electorate” — voters with a decided preference for liberal candidates.

Overall, women strongly supported Senator Obama over Senator McCain (56 percent for Obama, 43 percent for McCain). Men split their votes about evenly between the two presidential candidates, with 49 percent for Obama and 48 percent for McCain.

Gender played a bigger role in the 2008 presidential campaign than ever before with Senator Hillary Clinton almost beating Senator Barack Obama as the presidential nominee for the Democrats and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as the Republican vice-presidential candidate. Throughout the election cycle, candidates sought the so-called “women’s vote.” Pundits grimaced when Hillary famously lost her iron control in the New Hampshire primary and almost shed tears talking about the rigors of campaigning.

Newsweek ran a cover story promising to reveal “What Women Want,” and dozens of polls tallied up people’s attitudes toward female candidates. With over 18 million supporters, Senator Clinton ran the most competitive runner-up campaign in history and broke down numerous barriers with her professional demeanor on the campaign trail. She famously said that she was responsible for 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling.

So save some carbon credits Mr WASP. Don't bother voting. It's the women's decision now. It was inevitable. What makes me laugh is O'Reilly pretending to be tough and decisive. His wife is a public relations executive. Say no more.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 02:26 pm
@Setanta,
Mike CAstle, the GOP congressman who was swept out by the Tea Party candidate, is thinking of running as a write -in-candidate of an independent stripe. The Delaware GOP is NOT endorsing ODonnell at all so she is probably gonna lose to Chris Coons, a new face. Its very interesting that, the GOP ould have easily beaten the DEMS by running Mike Castle (fromer well liked governor, adn congressman).
Instead, the teabaggers elect this Palin wannabee (She even uses Palins mannerisms).
The polls have her losing 57 to 33 (she needs the undecideds badly or she will be drubbed)
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 03:35 pm
@farmerman,
33 isn't drubbed fm. What was it 5 years ago. 0? 0 to 33 in that time is whooshing stuff at this game.

You always underestimate people. Anybody on your side who listens to you is a mug. You say drubbed and folk sit back.. No problem then.

You don't know anything about politics. Suppose a Henry Fonda took it over. Had you not thought of that? They might be just sweeping the stage.

Everybody thought our Liberal Dem party was a dead duck not so long ago. Now they have ministerial limos.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 04:40 pm
@spendius,
And all those snidey commentators who thought they were being clever making snidey remarks about them when they never had a hope are out of the loop. Which means dead duck. An editor doesn't want to be paying a commentator big bucks when his invitations have dried up. However suddenly. He will be prepared to devise word formulations to avoid it looking like the bum's rush but to those who can see a bum's rush is a bum's rush whichever way you look at it it looks like a bum's rush.

The commentators are like Robespierre. They need to know which way the mob is going in order to take up the correct position. 33% is not something to bet the yacht against.
Ionus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's because most people are irrational.
Are we to assume you are not a people or are not irrational ? Anyway, you are wrong. Most people use emotions, which for 99% of our span was more than adequate to help guard against the others in the tribe. Try using science to get along with people and you will be as dysfunctional as the "scientists" on this thread. Emotions are a powerful tool in survival.

Quote:
The proof is evidenced from their belief in the fairy tale about gods
There is a God. It is the all-knowing part of the brain. Communicating with it, or as sports people do, just relaxing and let it take over leads to a far better adjustment to life.

Quote:
over 80% of Americans believe in one god or another.
Which puts you in the 20%. Is that at the 10% elite end or the 10% idiot end ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Everybody knows that we men are much more effective debaters than our womenfolk.
Not true, Spendi...women use words to determine emotions in others and to express how they feel...men use words to express facts. Women being smaller needed to know the feelings of others to survive. Men didnt. They needed facts on hunting.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:08 pm
@Ionus,
I do not mean to come across wrong but I think you may be a little off on your facts!
High Seas

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:14 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The commentators are like Robespierre. They need to know which way the mob is going in order to take up the correct position.

You've probably confused Robespierre with Danton. Robespierre was looking for the direction of the mob in order to lead it.
Ionus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I do not mean to come across wrong
You can never come across wrong to me if you argue the facts and leave out personal insults. I would be happy if you could explain where you think I am wrong.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:26 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Not true, Spendi...women use words to determine emotions in others and to express how they feel.

I'm sorry Io. I was using the term "more effective debaters" in the way these anti-IDers would use it. I had already explained that the skill was a disadvantage as those using it to flatter themselves were henpecked all to **** from top to bottom, from front to back, from side to side and from in to out. Hey!! I just realised that that's four dimensions.

Hence the deep, authoritative tone which such expressions so congenially lend themselves to.

I need no lessons in the matter mate. Husband battering goes mainly unreported because few men will dare go into the cop-shot to brave the laughter of the desk sergeant. Wife battering is blown out of all proportion.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:29 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
You've probably confused Robespierre with Danton. Robespierre was looking for the direction of the mob in order to lead it.

Is that not what I said? I'll check it tomorrow. I thought that's what I'd said. It's certainly what I meant to say. Perhaps I phrased it badly.
0 Replies