Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Ionus

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
a PBS show on now that has the thesis
Now this is typical of whats wrong with science. It is PBS so it must be right. It is a thesis so it must be true. I suppose you will watch it because you only approve of people and ideas that support your preconcieved notions. I would hate for you to be introduced to contradictory ideas...it would be worth failing students for contradicting and we know how much you like doing that....

Gomer the Turd must seek help.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 08:02 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ive never gotten any question wrong about geo
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Gomer the Turd must seek help
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 09:27 am
@farmerman,
Look fm--I didn't make a song and dance about you contradicting a woman whose family had worked a sheep farm in the Yorkshire Dales for over 100 years regarding how lambs are best brought into the world and, also, contradicting my own experience of birthing lambs. At the time you declared she didn't know what she was talking about and she was on the programme precisely because she did.

I could have used that like you are doing this Avogadro's number obsession you are on to assert that you had no farm and that your farmerman image was a load of bullshit. But I didn't because I'm not that sort. I have known and still know a lot of farmers. I was brought up among them. And your idiotic obsession proves nothing. I believe what people say about themselves.

The lady said that human interference in birthing sheep breaks the bond between ewe and lamb and was only resorted to in emergencies. And that's a thing all sheep farmers would know and never forget. So I would have had more justification than you have for questioning your credentials than you have mine.

If you Google any one of the three versions of the number--

Quote:
Value of NA in various units
6.02214179(30)×1023 mol−1
2.73159757(14)×1026 lb-mol−1
1.707248479(85)×1025 oz-mol−1

you are given what they are. Why did I not do that then? Because the number was not what I was interested in at the time. And I don't remember it being Francis who posted it and started your silly infantile hare running. I wouldn't have recognised any of them. I don't suppose geology has anything remotely the same as it is mere description of what's under your nose dressed up in brilliantine words to make it seem scientific. There is a pile of such constants which I knew once but would not recognise today.

My chemistry is long gone from my mind. All that remains of my science education and work is an exact knowledge of what scientific method is. That can't be forgotten even I wanted it to be. If I saw the formula now for bloody acetone I wouldn't recognise it. You're like a terrier on a butcher's apron.

Quote:
I only bet on sure things.

In the world of gentlemen that's straight theft. A blackball job. A crime actually.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 09:46 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You are obviously confusing me with someone else dummy. I have no idea what is"Sunset Vistas" .

This exchange is on your Geezers thread and addressed directly to me--

You wrote--

Quote:
Why dont we have a phrase matchy off and let the readers decide who wins? Or ARE YOU JUST A WHINING PUSSY YOU OLD GEEZER?

To which I responded--

Quote:
Okay then. I'll have a go at anything. I don't mind losing.

Right then--we are gathered together on this Tues afternoon for our tea and cakes. The nurse has been round with her tray of coloured simples and we are settled into our chintz covered armchairs. fammie and eddie have had their bibs tied on.

We are to decide the entertainment for Sat Nite. The usual procedure is a few rounds of Bingo, then a quiet listen to a Palm Court of the Grande Hotel LP. This is followed by a drinks break with our resident pianist tinkling out a few Golden Oldies during which discussions are encouraged on such topics as, say, whether it is best to be cremated, buried, sign up for a cryogenic's tenancy or to donate our bodies to scientific research establishments, or whether a proper currach can be constructed out of DIY materials using power tools. Anything to get our pulses racing and the veins on our temples swollen with indignation.

And the top of the bill, to jolly us all off to our rooms in a pleasant frame of mind, is a brought in act which we choose and which is paid for by a pork-barrel funding operation to help garner the votes of the elderly and those in various stages of dotage. $200 top limit. Forfeit if unused.

I have a suggestion and fammie has a suggestion. And we are both on 10% agent's commission. We have to sell our act to the cantankerous, impatient and discerning residents of Sunset Vistas in 200 words maximum.

After our respective presentations a vote is taken.

To which you responded--

Quote:
I thimk, that without me saying ANYTHING, youve defeated yourself with that last one.

Which means you ran away. And if you "have no idea what is 'Sunset Vistas' " you are obviously not even reading responses to your own posts but are also making fatuous, white-flag waving responses to them.

That's not lightweight. It's a ******* vacuity.

Now get on with your pitch for an act for Sat Night entertainment at the Sunset Vistas old-folks-home for geezers and crones so we can have the phrase making competition you challenged me to have. Put up or shut up.

It's like you saying you want a dart's matchy off and as soon as I fetch out a dartboard you make your excuses and run away.

I'm not confusing you with somebody else. There are no other dummies in your league.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:19 am
@spendius,
spendi, What was your point in regurgitating the same stuff? It certainly was not an answer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@Ionus,
Oh so youve found Dinosaur DNA have you? Ill summon the media.

Got the meaning of NEOARCHEAN yet?

Everythig else that youve also screwed up is still in memory so ya ought to justkeep yer big mouth shut,move on and not be disrespectful to those better educated than you Doofus ANUS.
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:01 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

I doubt even the best brains have any useful grasp on a period extending over a few hundred million years and getting on for 3,000 million years ago.

Those who think they have should be treated as one might a snake-oil purveyor who knocks at your door in down-at-heel shoes.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:14 pm
@spendius,
Its really not difficukt to envision deep time. Think in seconds of isotopic decay. How many seconds in asnarfle?
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:19 pm
@farmerman,
I won't go nuts if I think of Selenium 82 will I?

You're a geologist. What's the amount of material spewed out by volcanoes and other vents per 100 million years?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:41 pm
@farmerman,
http://comp.uark.edu/~ksteele/gochemfiles/Present/Selenium%20in%20Sediment%20and%20Soil.pdf
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:42 pm
@farmerman,
Talking about deep time, aren't there some life forms that live less than 24 hours?
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 04:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I believe, but Im not aware of any that I could point to indeep time.
Deep time usually means geologic time over a million years. Its hard to envision as spendi said. We can distinguish time on earth by its footprints ".
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
What I was trying to suggest was the relationship between some life form on earth having less than a 24-hour life span to the decades and centuries of other life forms such as the California redwood trees (4,000 years?). Probably wasn't clear in my original post.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Im watching the ODonnell and Coons debate on CNN. Odonnell has just stated that local schoolbpards are PREVENTED from exercising their rights "Under the Constitution" to teach Creationism alongside Evolution.

Odonnell is going negative and is looking really stupid when Coons tells her that shes "amde that story up" or His comment about how he was a "Bearded Marxist"> He stated that this was written ABOUT him by a reporter and Coons brought the house down by saying that "He is not now, nor has he ever been a Marxist"

Hes much more an effective debator than she.
Ionus

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Oh so youve found Dinosaur DNA have you? Ill summon the media.
You lost that argument the first time around. Is it your hope others will now believe you if you give it the briefest of mentions ? What if they are clever enough to realise a proper discussion involves more than your short statement driven by a chip on your sholder ?

Quote:
Pleicoene
Never got anything wrong about geo...by the way, is that what we geologists call it to be clever and fashionable ? Geo ? Very sophisticated....tell us about the pleicoene again.

Quote:
ya ought to justkeep yer big mouth shut
I hope you are sitting down becauise I have some shocking news....I am not saying anything. I am typing. Those voices that you hear ? They are inside your head. I do have my mouth shut.

Quote:
What is wrong with you ? I explain to you, as you clearly dont know what most words mean, that it means new-old. Then you go to great lengths to say, no, it doesnt, it means new-old. You are not right in the head.

Quote:
not be disrespectful to those better educated than you
Oh PLULEESEEE ! You are usually so drunk you cant type, are in great need of therapy for your delusions of grandeur, and are prone to snickering like a little school girl at religious people who have more moral integrity then you could even be aware of....and you think you are better than me ?

Google cloaca again in case you have forgotten what it means...again...then tell me how you love it when you drive someone to use google...God you are an egotistical unknowledgable old wind bag. Drunk yet ?

Gomer the Turd must seek help.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
An organism with less than a 24 hour life span would Not have the ability to develop anything of a complex nature. There are insects that have an adult (complete) metamorphosis. But they often have a larval stage and a nymph stage often a year or more long.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:46 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not sure about larval and nymph stages, but here's a link to some short lived insects and other life forms (animals).

http://society.ezinemark.com/ten-animals-have-shortest-life-cycle-773640bb2d18.html
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The mayfly's entire life cycle is about a year in length (We use the mayfly fly in trout fishing as a fake lure).

The mayfly goes through several stages and its adult stage is the one that lives for a day or so. The "hatch" of mayfly adults causes many trout to go nuts and go into a feeding frenzy.

Heres from a wiki site about mayflies

Quote:
Life Cycle: Adult mayflies are very short lived, surviving only one or two nights. During that time the adults mate in swarms in the air. They are also attracted to lights. Eggs are deposited while flying low over the water, or by dipping the abdomen on the water surface or some even submerge themselves and lay eggs underwater. Adult females lay eggs into water and often die on the water surface. Immature stages develop through several stages (instars) by molting during development. The number of molts varies depending on the species, temperature and water conditions. Immature stages then swim to the water surface or crawl onto rocks or plants. There, they molt into subimagoes with wings in seconds or minutes, which fly quickly from the water to nearby plants where they molt again into adults (imagoes). Mayflies are the only group of insects that molt after they have wings. In all other orders winged forms are as only found on adult forms, the last stage of development. A typical life cycle will last one year.[/qiote]

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:14 pm
@farmerman,
I just remembered something about its short life span, but that was something I saw or read many years ago. Maybe, it was National Geographic mag.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeh but the "life span" they are talking about is just the adult stage not the entire life span. Thats where the wiki needed some clarification also.