Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:18 pm
I came across an interesting anecdote pertaining to poking fun at the Church with illiberal sarcasms.

When Moliere produced Tartruffe it became fashionable and often priests attended performances. It came about one day that a priest found himself stood behind two "grisettes" and some wag on spotting him in that position shouted "Haussez les mains, Monsieur l'Abbe" which translates as "Raise your hands, Mr Priest" or, more scientifically, "No wanking in the theatre your reverence".

The wit was appreciated, as well it might, and soon became such an occurance that priests had to be careful where they stood ever after.

It's quite a good example of projection I think. The wit, and those who laughed with him, could only have understood the jest by the thought in their own heads of what they would be thinking if they were standing behind the two divine creatures in a crowded and tastefully illuminated theatre and in a jolly mood.

A modern version might be in a studio discussion between two prostitutes, a Bishop and a representitive of one of the no-profit civil liberties organisations. "keep yer 'ands on the table Bish".

I thought the object in ros's first picture was best adapted to a joke-shop window display whereby its destiny was to be dropped down the back of the blouse of the girl sitting at the desk in front who continually answers every bloody stupid question the teacher asks and is in danger of developing a too high opinion of herself. Or being attached, with a little glue, to the shoe of the snooty and power-dressed manageress of the DIY department who has developed a too high opinion of herself, in a large shopping complex, such as can be seen glowing in the dark from 20 miles away from up in the hills, in which are purveyed instruments of refined torture which give so little pain, mostly, (see A &E statistics), that a man can stand it for years and years.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:33 pm
@rosborne979,
excellent , and horsheoe crabs have been around so long in almost their present form that they give complete credence to " evolution is adaptation in action"
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
What sort of parties do you go to fm. Lead balloon ones?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:55 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Humanity already possesses the characteristics that religion pretends to provide.
You mean like the Christians resisting Nazism and Communism ? Cold factual beliefs that had no difficulty justifying killing millions.

Quote:
Compassion and empathy are built into us and are all we need to build ethics and morality.
Whose ethics ? Yours ? Gomer the Turd's ? Morality ? Where and when is this morality ? The Third Reich ? The First Reich ? The Roman Empire before Christianity ? Yes, it sure is built into us isnt it.

Quote:
Science is a tool for understanding nature, nothing else is required of it.
I agree. Nothing else is required of it, especially proof of the negative wherein God does not exist.

Quote:
Science isn't needed or intended to replace religion.
This is better directed at the sneering fools who laugh at religious people and go out of their way to ridicule them...like calling them Jews and blameing them for the world's ailments.
Ionus

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
You still have your head frimly up your cloaca
It may interest you to know dickhead that humans have a seperate urinary tract and birth canal. Typical of your attempts to sound knowledgeable when you are really just another internet fraud.

[ quote]Evolutionary studies of the development of religions and morals have pretty much found that the initial source of "wonder" was practiced by members of familial groups when they came in touch with events that overwhelmed them.[/quote] You mean like you and science.

Quote:
I really think youre grabbing straws again
That doesnt shock me...I expected you to fill your post with unsupported opinion and vilification...I even respond in kind, if you have noticed.

Quote:
if evolution is simple and thus applicable to the one step at a time scientific method, what will evolution produce in the future ? Caution: this may be above your pay grade.
Quote:
I have no fuckin idea what your trying to get at here
Which is why you dont like Spendi's posts....too much thinking is bad for your drinking. What will evolution produce Gomer the turd ? You do remember the scientific method dont you, O great one ! Tell us a prediction based on fact. Of course you dont understand.

Quote:
SCience is a tool, its not magic.
I am surprised you can say that and not think what it means.
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:19 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Whose ethics ? Yours ? Gomer the Turd's ? Morality ? Where and when is this morality ? The Third Reich ? The First Reich ? The Roman Empire before Christianity ? Yes, it sure is built into us isnt it.

You missed out the Aztec priestesses who held up to the moon the hearts of the sacrificial victims tied to the sacred stone slab the geological features of which had not been studied. Whilst wailing demonic ritualistic chants.

ros is domesticated.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:49 am
@Ionus,
I love it when I send you off to do a google search on a word of which you are unfamiliar. This is how I inflict education on some people. Now tell me when the human cloaca exists Because it really does, your reading was merely incomplete)

Quote:
What will evolution produce Gomer the turd ? You do remember the scientific method dont you, O great one ! Tell us a prediction based on fact. Of course you dont understand.
I do understand that your showing us dino DNA again. Ive explained why such predictions would be unreasonable if the environment would change significantly (AND WE HAVE NO IDEAS WHAT SUCH CHANGES WILL ENTAIL).
Dave Raup had a statistical analysis of speciation moving forward but even he stated that such predictions were only made by exam,ining species that had al;ready evolved. (HE basically predicted how we got to where species already existed--His analysis was primarily based upon extinction and its formative powers in nat selection)

I dont expect you to fully comprehend these little nuances so Im gonna let you believe that youve asked something deeper than you are capable . (IN that respect you and shpendi are a good match).
Get some rest ANUS, maybe then you will come to better understand the fallacies of your questions.

You are a good example of the problems we need to address in teaching evolution in schools. For some reason, the christians (mainly the Fundamentalist Christians) seem to want to interject theri beliefs into a science class, when there is no reason nor rationale to do so. IF you, as you say you do, want our kids to learn good scioence, why would you defend these Idjits who bring their Bibles into science class? Im really confused, you have to take a stand somewhere. Your not appearing rational . Any ar5guments herein, that appear to defend science in school, to the detriment of some religion, are merely responses by several posters to the flip-floppy proposals by guys like spendi and you. Maybe if you just started your own thread on your beliefs and (I certainly would attend because Im interested in what makes some of you tick), you could develop your ideas without conflicting with our school system in the US (A subject upon which you and spendi demonstrate your abysmal ignorance almost hourly )
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:05 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

Meet Paul LePage, Creationist for Governor of Maine
by Jim
Two weeks ago, the moderator of a Republican gubernatorial debate asked candidate Paul LePage a simple and straightforward question: “Do you believe in creationism, and do you think it should be taught in Maine public schools?” Paul LePage’s complete answer:

I would say intelligence, uh, the more education you have the more knowledge you have the better person you are and I believe yes and yes.

Yesterday, Paul LePage won the Republican Party primary and will run as the GOP standard bearer in the race for Governor of Maine.

Paul LePage really answered “yes” to two questions, not just one. The first question asked, “Do you believe in creationism?” Paul LePage answered “yes.” Such an answer may seem odd to those who are aware of the strong empirical evidence for evolution, but as an individual citizen Paul LePage certainly has the right to believe whatever religious ideas he wants to believe.

What Paul LePage doesn’t have the right to do is to put his religious ideas into the curriculum of Maine’s public schools. And that’s why LePage’s second “yes” is much more important than the first. In a public debate, Paul LePage declared that creationism should be taught in public schools. As Governor of Maine, he’d be in a position to promote that notion. If you believe that creationism is for Sunday school and science is for public school, you might want to think twice before voting to put Paul LePage in the Governor’s seat.

The hell of it is, in this time of tea bagger intelligence, Lepage is the clear front runner in this election. NOW, will the voting public give a rats ass that Mr Le Page will cost Maine several millions of dollars of funds (that they presently do not have) to conduct his fight for Creationism? Does he know that this issue had been decided for the US Public School system late in the last century? IS Mr LEPage nuts? Is Maine collectively that stupid? We shall find out. One thing is certain, the teabaggers have made this mid term election a wealth of mirth and lunacy, what with all these fringe minded candidates theyve offered up.
spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:29 am
@farmerman,
It is you who is not rational fm. Where have I said that I want to bring the Bible into science classes? I don't think Io has either.

Once again you are hiding behind what you assert some people want to do and none of them are here on this thread. And I am not defending them. I am putting points to you which you always evade. Teaching evolution in schools is not an abstract concept. It will have its Freshwaters.

Why do you make smearing remarks about me when you have made no attempt to answer my posts. What is your view on the quote I gave from Mr Bennet?
spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:01 am
@farmerman,
If it is true that the mid-term elections are a "wealth of mirth and lunacy" what does that say about the state of American public opinion? And especially if the candidates you and "Jim", whoever he be, are opposed to win.

If they win isn't that then a scientific fact? The public will have been shown to have voted for a wealth of mirth and lunacy as the only alternative to an atheist, materialist agenda which reduces life to a series of random mechanical events with no emotional or psychological components, such as you demonstrate in every hysterical post you compose, and with no meaning.

Your emotional outbursts defeat your own argument. We need to find a method of differentiating between your emotionally driven conclusions and those of your opponents from a mechanical point of view. Surely they are identical from a scientific point of view just as the gold in a tooth filling is identical to the gold in a wedding ring. It is only the form that is different as a result of being subjected to different processes.
spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:08 am
@spendius,
Meet Paul le Page then--

Quote:
Paul LePage is the eldest son of eighteen children. LePage grew up speaking French in an impoverished home. At age eleven, he left home and lived on the streets of Lewiston, rather than remain with what he has described as an abusive father. After spending roughly two years homeless, he began to earn a living shining shoes. At thirteen, he worked washing dishes at a café and hauling boxes for a truck driver. He later worked at a rubber company, a meat packing plant, and was a short order cook, and bartender.

Something of clever chap one has to admit considering his present position. A true child of American meritocracy. I hope he wins and goes on to provide anti-IDers with a raft of opportunities to express their outraged emotions.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:16 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
] In 2007, he was named "Maine Business Champion" by the National Federation of Independent Business.

One might assume from that that Mr LePage knows all about funds of several million dollars. Much more so, indeed, than anybody who just asserts he will cost his constituents those sums and who obviously cannot even understand my recent essay on the absurdity of assertions.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:20 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
NOW, will the voting public give a rats ass that Mr Le Page will cost Maine several millions of dollars of funds (that they presently do not have) to conduct his fight for Creationism?

No, they won't even think about it.
farmerman wrote:
Does he know that this issue had been decided for the US Public School system late in the last century?

No, he doesn't.
farmerman wrote:
IS Mr LEPage nuts?

Yes. If he's a Creationist with a capital "C", then obviously he's nuts.
farmerman wrote:
Is Maine collectively that stupid?

Probably.
farmerman wrote:
We shall find out.

I'm sure the voters of Maine will do what most voters do, they will watch their favorite local propaganda station which they think is news, they will contemplate their navel, and then they'll vote for him because he's got a nice smile and a snappy suit.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@rosborne979,
How his buzz over in New Hampster?
wandeljw

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:42 am
An opinion essay in the Shreveport Times calls on local school boards to actively implement Louisiana's controversial science education act by including material supporting the view that human beings were purposefully designed.

Quote:
Being lukewarm on the question of man's origin
(John Byrd, Shreveport Times Opinion, July 23, 2010)

A humorist-philosopher once observed, "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't." Careful phrasing permits this grouping where there are only two possible answers.

Man was either purposefully designed or he was not. One is accurate. The other is false. Our nation is divided on that question.

Those who believe man was purposefully designed attribute that design to a supreme being, a creator, e.g. their God. For most Christians and Jews, this would be the biblical God, the God of Abraham. Atheists, on the other hand, deny the existence of God and reject any suggestion that man was purposefully designed.

Somehow, inexplicably, a nation that has "In God We Trust" printed on its currency and claims to be "one nation, under God" in its pledge of allegiance has chosen to teach its children only the atheistic view that man was not purposefully designed. Our biology teachers, whom we pay and direct, routinely make liars out of our preachers and rabbis who believe and teach that man was purposefully designed by God.

In high school biology classes, our children are taught that humans evolved from a lower life form that, in turn, evolved from a lower life form, etc., and that all living creatures evolved from a single common ancestor without the benefit of any planning or design, e.g., without the involvement of a supreme being, a creator, a God. Humans and turnips have a common ancestor.

If someone were to suggest that random or chance selections of paint from a painter's easel and random strokes from that painter's brush would produce a "Mona Lisa," the person making that suggestion would be considered a fool. The human brain is the most complex structure observed in the universe, much more complex and intricate than the "Mona Lisa." Only an absolute fool would see no evidence of purposeful design in the construction and function of the human brain. Yet that's what we teach our children.

The irony is that millions throughout the country go to churches and synagogues regularly. They read their Bibles, sing songs and offer prayers to the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Adam. Those sitting in the pews are the same ones paying the teachers to instruct their children. They raise holy hell about abortion yet pay for and condone the teaching of children that God had nothing to do with man's origin.

Our legislature passed and our governor signed into law the Louisiana Science Education Act, which permits an objective critique of evolution theory as it relates to man's origin. It authorizes the use of texts or teaching aids that question the evidence supporting that view and introducing material that supports the alternative view, e.g. that man was purposefully designed. The law's apparent purpose is to change what is being taught in our public schools re: man's origin (and purpose). The intent is to expose the children to both sides of this two-sided question.

I have been trying to find out whether the Caddo School Board has done anything to bring about this change. It appears it is disinclined to take any action to comply with the intent of the new law. My calls to Bonita Crawford (my representative) and Reggie Abrams (the board's legal counsel) were not returned. I don't like it when public representatives or servants ignore the public they represent or serve.

If the biblical God exists, he is likely not looking at the board. Rather, he is likely looking at a lukewarm church. There is an election coming. Our legislature and governor have given the local school boards the opportunity to present both sides of this question in biology class. The Constitution and the LSEA both require that it must be done without advancing or inhibiting any particular religious belief.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
No, they won't even think about it.

You see folks. That's the anti-IDer mentality. He's offhandedly spouting about 1.3 million people.

First there's the assumption that those voting the other way to that which ros approves of can simply be asserted to "not even think". Which, of course, implies that ros does think which his stupid sarcasm proves he can't.

Second, he's assuming that there's something special about thinking.

And third he's assuming that this issue is important enough to the people of Maine for them to give a second thought to. It is important to ros in order that it provides him with cheap opportunities to have a sitting duck target for his scintillating wit.

On the second point Albert Camus wrote-

Quote:
Beginning to think is beginning to be undermined.
and

Quote:
A world that can be explained even with bad reasons is a familiar world. But,on the other hand, in a universe suddenly divested of illusions and lights, man feels an alien, a stranger.

And Laurence Sterne wrote--

Quote:
Sweet pliability of man's spirit, that can at once surrender itself
to illusions, which cheat expectation and sorrow of their weary
moments!

Perhaps the people of Maine have inklings of such things. ros evidently hasn't.

It's an excellent example, to add to a very long list, of why boozing in a pub with an anti-IDer is a complete NONO. His underestimation of his fellow man seemingly knows no bounds.

What sort of superior being is he? One in his own mirror I should think.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 01:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
How his buzz over in New Hampster?

A2K is the first/only place I've even heard of him Smile
wandeljw

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 01:22 pm
@rosborne979,
Speaking of Maine:
http://able2know.org/topic/159076-1#post-4293730
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@wandeljw,
...AND it goes on in the ALABAMA gubernatorial race .

Quote:

Moron vs. Moron in Alabama Governor Race
By CHARLES JOHNSON
Today’s right wing jawdropper: in Alabama, the “True Republican PAC” is running an advertisement mocking Republican gubernatorial candidate Bradley Byrne for supporting the teaching of evolution in schools.

Yes, you read that right — these “True Republicans” are so proudly, invincibly ignorant that they’re making fun of a fellow Republican for not being a moron.

Except — Byrne actually is a moron too, just like the “True Republicans.” And he’s outraged that his moron credentials were questioned.

Byrne responds to this “despicable attack” with a statement: “I have never wavered in my belief that this world and everything in it is a masterpiece created by the hands of God… I fought to ensure the teaching of creationism in our school text books.”

iM TELLIN YA THAT PIGS ARE FLYING AND THE APOCALYPSE IS HEATING UP.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 05:25 am
@farmerman,
ANd in neighboring Georgia we have some more of the brain addlement in education
Quote:
Creationist Rumblings in Georgia
23-July-2010 ·
OUR last post about science education in Georgia was Evolution: Georgia On My Mind, in which we discussed state school Superintendent Kathy Cox — who had previously tried to remove all references to evolution and the Big Bang from the science curriculum. We quoted a Cox aide as saying:

“I think you can do without science.”

We now return to that state to learn what’s been going on. In the Times-Georgian, a daily newspaper serving Carrollton, Georgia — the county seat of Carroll County in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains — we read No change in county BOE millage rate. Here are some excerpts, with bold added by us:

The Carroll County Board of Education voted Thursday not to increase property taxes this year … . In other news, the school system will be receiving seven new buses from the state …

Before we lose you all, let’s get right to the creationism. Here we go:

Also discussed at the meeting, Bob Staples, a member of the Villa Rica Church of Christ, asked the board members to consider researching, evaluating and taking a position on the issue of teaching evolution compared to creation in the schools.

We checked. Villa Rica, population 4,134 at the last census, is located in Carroll County. Here’s the church’s website. Let’s read on:

“Evolution is a theory in crisis and harmful to our progress,” he said. “We have been either created by God or are the result of naturalistic evolution.” He said the teaching of evolution has grown to the point of excluding creationism.

Jeepers, we had no idea things had gone so far in Georgia. This is serious stuff! We continue:

“There is no evidence of evolution happening in the past. … Evolution is not a fact, but is taught as a fact in many educational settings,” Staples said. “Belief in creation and a global flood are consistent with the facts of science.”

Powerful testimony! What was the school board’s reply? Let’s find out:

Rogers [Kathy Rogers, assistant superintendent of teaching and learning] said there are units in seventh and eighth grade that teach evolution, and it is required for the students to meet the Georgia standards in tests.

That’s it? That’s all the response they gave to Bob Staples? Wait — then someone else offered this:

Superintendent Scott Cowart said a chart could be compiled listing what is required compared to what is offered and presented to the board.

A chart? Good ol’ Bob Staples pointed out that evolution is a theory in crisis, with no evidence, and it’s crowding out creationism. All they could do is offer him a chart? This is an outrage!

That’s where the article ends. We are left to assume that the meeting concluded on that note of confusion.

Copyright © 2010. The Sensuous Curmudgeon. All rights reserved
0 Replies