Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:54 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Quote:
Alabama Gov. Candidate Attacked for Belief in Evolution
(Brian Montopoli, CBSnews.com, May 11, 2010)

He also said that, contrary to the ad's claims, he believes "every single word" of the Bible is true.

He's entitled to his opinion, moronic though it may be.
spendius

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:26 pm
ros still running on the spot I see.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@rosborne979,
Everyone in Alabama apparently courts the moronic vote.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:52 pm
@farmerman,
They pander for the votes. Never mind if they secretly agree or not.
spendius

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Everyone in Alabama apparently courts the moronic vote.

Once again the blithe and self-comforting notion that not agreeing with fm is the defining essence of the word "moron". And the implication that only those who qualify for fm's approval should have the vote and that he is not moronic which is one hell of a stretch.

One wouldn't dare put a plectrum to the elastic.

Ionus

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:40 pm
@spendius,
They are afraid of religion. Their insecurity makes them attack it and the religious. You would think as all are self proclaimed scientists, they would understand more psychology and less lower class vindictiveness.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
They pander for the votes. Never mind if they secretly agree or not.

It's funny watching them attack each other with barbs like, "you're not a Creationist", and then he defends himself with, "but I am, I AM a Creationist, every word in the bible is true!". It doesn't get any better Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:14 pm
It would be funnier if they didn't screw with people's lives.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:15 pm
@rosborne979,
Lynnard Skynard died for your sins
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Lynnard Skynard died for your sins

What the hell did he do that for?
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:20 pm
@rosborne979,
Somebody had to. Jeezus, H Christe, even Santa Clause doesnt vist you.
Setanta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:23 pm
I've got the most hilarious ad at the top of my page. It is labeled "recovering fundamentalists," and has graphics of the Ark, the Tower of Babel, Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein. The blurb reads: "Helping reconcile a blossoming recognition of truth versus a lifetime of dogmatic education. -- recoveringfundamentalists.com"
rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 03:48 am
@Setanta,
I love that ad Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 03:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I would be worried if Setanta Claws visited me.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:25 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
They are afraid of religion.

I think that it is more a case of being afraid of losing face. They went into bat against Christianity at an early stage for reasons too tiresome to bear repeating and have been searching the record ever since for "expert" justifications of which there is a large amount. It has now become a Hobby-Horse and there ain't no going back. It's a way of life.

It enables them to post the sort of thing you see on here and one can only presume that's how they talk to their companions for whom I have the utmost sympathy. Calling people names, from govenors to washers up, must give them that ego stroke of imagining they are the polar opposite of whatever labels they attach, a very limited number, "moron" being good for a lifetime. The President's attendance at church services and swearing oaths on the Bible have been excluded for lack of nerve, or "bottle" as we say here.

As the great Laurence Sterne had it--

Quote:
But here, you must distinguish ---- the
thought floated only in Dr. Slop's mind,
without sail or ballast to it, as a simple
proposition ; millions of which, as your
worship knows, are every day swiming
quietly in the middle of the thin juice of
a man's understanding, without being
carried backwards or forwards, till some
little gusts of passion or interest drive
them to one side.

The little gusts of passion have driven them to the side you see and now pride is involved but on a grand scale. Science has nothing to do with it which is just as well because they haven't a scientific cell in their bodies.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:28 am
@rosborne979,
I went and visited that "Recovering Fundamentalists dot COM" site and while it was quite informative as a source in several areas of science, I dont project many converts via this site. There is a learning curve of any series of technologies that assume a certain interest in the subjects, and assumes a basic level of understanding

I was especially interested in the "Where are all the transitional fossils?". It was an excellent resources. However, it was loaded with so musch arcana that Im sure a Fundamentalist would poo poo this as some "preaching from authority". There should have been a small discussion about the modern species concept which , if correct, strongly supports a conlusion that we are living among bazillions of examples of "intermediates". However, the author got into some really close detail about comparison morphology from fossils that are still under scrutiny by the workers in the field.

I would urge those, with an interest in examples of an extensive (but not complete) list of intermediates, this would be a good one.
But, as I suggest, I dont think itll do anything to help change any mindes.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:05 am
Preachin' to the choir . . . so to speak . . . huh?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Actually, I'm Santa Clause (remember... "I'm Batman"). Smile

Now that I have a daughter I've taken on a new secret identity Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
But, as I suggest, I dont think itll do anything to help change any minds.

I don't think it'll change any minds either. But it might help people along who have already started to change their own minds and are just seeking more information from the "other" perspective.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:16 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
seeking more information
isn't that code for "radical extremist"?
0 Replies