Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:05 pm
@Ionus,
Oh anus is back from his daily diversion of prostate licking at the bus terminal mens rooms.
Nice Sanchez there Anus.
Ionus

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:50 pm
@farmerman,
Great contribution !!! Best yet ! I hope the effort didnt make you tired before your old man's nap in the afternoon....remember your milk and cookies and I will let you "play" in the barn with the wooly sheep.
spendius

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 03:59 am
@farmerman,
on Tues fm wrote--

Quote:
Ive had much experience and pleasure deconstructing spendi-speak.

On Wed he wrote-

Quote:
spendi, I just ignore because his efforts are like yesterdays pancakes).

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 04:18 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
remember your milk and cookies and I will let you "play" in the barn with the wooly sheep.
No thanks, after you finish sodomizing them they will probably be all skittish around normal people like me. You really need some help with that bestiality thing.
PS, werent you just bitching about how me and set were diverting this thread? Why not take your own advice anus. Lets get back to the discussion.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 04:36 am
@farmerman,
Aw, fm - If they are not allowed these diversions, they got nothing.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You really need some help with that bestiality thing.
Ahhhh....I dont know how to tell you this...bestiality is in your neck of the woods, Gomer...I bet you own 5 copies of Deliverance but were really pissed to see they all ended the same....but the best part is the middle for you isnt it ?
Quote:
sodomizing.....anus
You really should have more than two great grandparents, two grand parents, one parent/sister and one parent/brother, and marrying your father/brother....it affects you country bumpkins rather badly...and I want to make this very plain, even if it means a trip to the barn and the sheep instead.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:41 am
@Ionus,
Speaking of assholes, any new news from the Chinese ARkxpedition? I want to follow this closely Im sure theres a good docu-comedy here.
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:43 am
@farmerman,
I think its rather shocking they think they can fool the world. As in the case of that someone with the bigfoot in the freezer, did they think it through ? I am worried we will never have a grand event to end this, it will just hit the floor with a dull thud and that will be that. I would like to see a docu exposing it...if only to deter others.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:45 am
KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE UPDATE
Quote:
School Board Cuts Teachers, but Not Textbook
(Knoxville Metro Pulse, May 6, 2010)

In a long meeting Wednesday night, the Knox County school board approved Superintendent Jim McIntyre's revised budget--which cuts some 70 positions, including 30 teachers and 10 aides--but voted to retain an honors biology textbook that was the subject of a Farragut father's complaint.

In approving the budget, board members added an amendment to their $378.7 million spending plan that asked County Commission to find an additional $1.7 million, to restore the teachers and teaching assistants. Board member Dan Murphy also suggested, as a "symbolic" move, that board members pay for any out-of-state travel on board business next year themselves. Murphy said the cost of out-of-state board travel this year was about $12,000 or $13,000. His amendment passed unanimously, as did the budget package in its entirety.

The textbook issue was not resolved quite so amicably. Parent Kurt Zimmermann came before the board again, repeating his appeal of a Farragut High School committee's decision to keep an honors biology textbook. Zimmermann was incensed that the book, Asking About Life, described creationism as a "biblical myth" in a section talking about controversy over the theory of evolution. But Zimmermann himself backed off his earlier request to ban the book, requesting instead that the board institute new training to prevent any denigration of religious belief in the classroom.

Board member Cindy Buttry, whose motion to ban the book last month was ruled illegal earlier this week by the county Law Department, said she was still struggling with the "difficult issue" of whether to allow the book to remain in the classroom. (It has been in use in Knox County since 2002, and this was the first complaint against it.) But Buttry also said her motion to ban the book "was taken out of the context" of the board's discussion of the issue last month.

Board members heard from members of the public on both pro- and con- sides, including Gary McCracken, head of the University of Tennessee's Ecology and Evolutionary Biology department, and Andy Kramer, UT Anthropology Department head. Both of them urged the board to retain the book. Which is what the board ultimately decided to do, voting 6-3 in favor of a motion by Chair Indya Kincannon to keep the book in the classroom while also directing McIntyre to write to the book's publisher suggesting that the word "myth" be dropped in future editions. Kincannon noted the school system has already adopted a different honors biology text for future use, and her motion suggested the superintendent buy new biology books "as soon as fiscally possible." That clearly doesn't mean this year, or, as McIntyre noted, even necessarily next year. The three votes against Kincannon's motion were Buttry, Patrick Richmond of the rural east Knox Coutny 8th District, and Robert Bratton of South Knoxville.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:50 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw's source wrote:
Board member Cindy Buttry, whose motion to ban the book last month was ruled illegal earlier this week by the county Law Department, said she was still struggling with the "difficult issue" of whether to allow the book to remain in the classroom. (It has been in use in Knox County since 2002, and this was the first complaint against it.) But Buttry also said her motion to ban the book "was taken out of the context" of the board's discussion of the issue last month.

Oh yeah? What context was that? The one in which members were to give serious consideration to an objection to a text which described religious, superstitious myth as myth?

Maybe she's right . . . maybe instead of banning it, they should "symbolically" burn it--so as to make clear the nature of their agenda.
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:52 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
the Knox County school board approved Superintendent Jim McIntyre's revised budget--which cuts some 70 positions, including 30 teachers and 10 aides
Here we hold the politicians to a ratio of students to teachers, and the union lets us know when that is exceeded. But it is quite common for a school to be closed for a lack of students in the countryside...amalgamations that sort of thing.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 05:56 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The term "myth" is often used colloquially to refer to a false story; however, the academic use of the term generally does not pass judgment on its truth or falsity. In the study of folklore, a myth is a symbolic narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form. Many scholars in other fields use the term "myth" in somewhat different ways. In a very broad sense, the word can refer to any traditional story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology

Strictly speaking the creation story in the Bible is a myth. But there are many areas of science where we could laugh at the scientists involved, but that would be cruel and stupid, and besides, there are enough scientists doing that to other scientists.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:03 am
@wandeljw,
The proper theological argument against "Design" wande is that it implies a transfer to regions beyond experience of an idea which is rooted in human experience and is limited by it. That human action contrives outcomes has nothing to say about unseen and supernatural powers. The design argument is a non sequitur[/quote]. For one thing it infers, improperly, that there is a connection between an effort, a desire, and its result, or, to put it another way, that there is a causal nexus between natural processes and the ends they fulfill. That animals get frisky in springtime in order to provide for the continuation of their species. That holly has berries so that birds have something to eat when it snows.

Even if that proposition is granted, which no scientific mind would grant, it still does not entitle us to assume that such a causative association can be attributed to an intelligent mind or will.

We are habituated in contriving things to assume intended consequences but those things are products of human ingenuity. We cannot simply take a given result and work backwards as if human ingenuity is in play and then trace the results to a provident intention in a ****. We have no word. Whatever word we choose--God, Supreme Being, Intelligent Designer, Nature--derives from human experience and to use any of them is to shift ideas from ourselves into a supernatural region about which we know nothing, nor ever will. Thus fundamentalist anthropomorphism. A non starter.

Hence social consequences are the only game for serious people. As I have been telling you silly sods for six years. We can contrive results in that area.

And by the argument from authority. Those who have anti-authoritarian natures, they don't like some of the rules derived from the ages and the sages because they get in the way of their self indulgence, reject the argument from authority. And they get into a theological tangle from which there is no escape and their only solution, as your threads prove time and time again, is bullshit and insults. Some rules they do accept but only those that fit in with their wants.

They have, and argue for, a la carte rules and in doing so justify everybody else choosing whichever dish they fancy at any particular time. A recipe for anarchy of course. What else could it be?

They have a deep seated psychological problem which cannot tolerate being one of those "to whom it is done" as Lenin famously phrased it. Freud would have traced the roots of the difficulty to the playpen. They want to be one of those "who do" but they cannot get their arse in gear sufficiently to be in that small elite. Hence the permanent anger and confusion. The barrack room lawyer type.

And the argument from authority can be justified on Darwinian grounds by the success of our authority structures over what is, in terms of evolutionary time, the blink of an eye. And other cultures have lasted long periods of time on the argument from authority.

But there is one advantage of anti-authority relating to religion. The anti-authority mindset is exercised harmlessly. Wind and piss is easily dealt with. Were it not authority would impose itself more strenuously. It is confident enough to allow some wind and piss to go by. And it saves the anti-authority mindset from risking jail time. It's a soft option.

Thus ID, and Creationism, can be justified sociologically and that's scientific although the subject matter is rather more difficult than animals and inorganic matter both of which an aloof view can be taken of in which the viewer is not personally implicated. One might observe and take notes on the behaviour of hungry rats in a maze but one might feel a little uncomfortable if someone else was observing and taking notes on one's own activities.
spendius

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:13 am
@spendius,
I was too late to correct my post so here it is again- hopefully

@wandeljw,

The proper theological argument against "Design" wande is that it implies a transfer to regions beyond experience of an idea which is rooted in human experience and is limited by it. That human action contrives outcomes has nothing to say about unseen and supernatural powers. The design argument is a non sequitur. For one thing it infers, improperly, that there is a connection between an effort, a desire, and its result, or, to put it another way, that there is a causal nexus between natural processes and the ends they fulfill. That animals get frisky in springtime in order to provide for the continuation of their species. That holly has berries so that birds have something to eat when it snows.

Even if that proposition is granted, which no scientific mind would grant, it still does not entitle us to assume that such a causative association can be attributed to an intelligent mind or will.

We are habituated in contriving things to assume intended consequences but those things are products of human ingenuity. We cannot simply take a given result and work backwards as if human ingenuity is in play and then trace the results to a provident intention in a ****. We have no word. Whatever word we choose--God, Supreme Being, Intelligent Designer, Nature--derives from human experience and to use any of them is to shift ideas from ourselves into a supernatural region about which we know nothing, nor ever will. Thus fundamentalist anthropomorphism. A non starter.

Hence social consequences are the only game for serious people. As I have been telling you silly sods for six years. We can contrive results in that area.

And by the argument from authority. Those who have anti-authoritarian natures, they don't like some of the rules derived from the ages and the sages because they get in the way of their self indulgence, reject the argument from authority. And they get into a theological tangle from which there is no escape and their only solution, as your threads prove time and time again, is bullshit and insults. Some rules they do accept but only those that fit in with their wants.

They have, and argue for, a la carte rules and in doing so justify everybody else choosing whichever dish they fancy at any particular time. A recipe for anarchy of course. What else could it be?

They have a deep seated psychological problem which cannot tolerate being one of those "to whom it is done" as Lenin famously phrased it. Freud would have traced the roots of the difficulty to the playpen. They want to be one of those "who do" but they cannot get their arse in gear sufficiently to be in that small elite. Hence the permanent anger and confusion. The barrack room lawyer type.

And the argument from authority can be justified on Darwinian grounds by the success of our authority structures over what is, in terms of evolutionary time, the blink of an eye. And other cultures have lasted long periods of time on the argument from authority.

But there is one advantage of anti-authority relating to religion. The anti-authority mindset is exercised harmlessly. Wind and piss is easily dealt with. Were it not authority would impose itself more strenuously. It is confident enough to allow some wind and piss to go by. And it saves the anti-authority mindset from risking jail time. It's a soft option.

Thus ID, and Creationism, can be justified sociologically and that's scientific although the subject matter is rather more difficult than animals and inorganic matter both of which an aloof view can be taken of in which the viewer is not personally implicated. One might observe and take notes on the behaviour of hungry rats in a maze but one might feel a little uncomfortable if someone else was observing and taking notes on one's own activities.
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:57 am
@spendius,
I dont think you are going to meet your equal here for intelligent use of the english language, Spendi. You always have a thought provoking post, unfortunately most here are not open-minded but are rather looking for ways to attack your argument...or ignore it, in the manner of a true bigot, an irony that is truely lost on them as they call others bigots and put them on ignore. They have made their mind up and are here to lecture.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:04 am
@spendius,
I may not agree with everything you say, but I appreciate your post for the thorough way you present your position.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:22 pm
@spendius,
Ive returned home and, while eating supper, read your post.

1I am pleased that , with this one post youve been able to write clearly and without run-ons and without wildy swinging logic(not to mention all your British hangups with women).
However, I( must say that your past post was an answer to aquestion that wasnt even asked. Why bother to try to sound "scientific" when your very premises are faulty. Youre still bringing religion into our science programs and we wont put up with it. You dont seem to get the point. WHile you may think your argument is valid, its irrelevant (which is how we like to keep it)

2I dont think anyone EVER argued re: your entire first paragrah. It is the very foundation of the Catholic Church's view on science since Pious XII. However, as I stated , Its like bringing a prayer book to Chemistry class, we already know what your point is gonna be. You seem to want to do a 180 wrt your previous posts wherein youve been arguing (unsuccessfully may I add) what "REAL: ID " is.

Actually if you would go and resurrect Wandels previous thread "ID, science or religion" perhaps your last post would fit there nicely..

Quote:
But there is one advantage of anti-authority relating to religion. The anti-authority mindset is exercised harmlessly. Wind and piss is easily dealt with. Were it not authority would impose itself more strenuously.
Whats above this clip is pretty much irrelevant and self congratulatory and DEAD WRONG. SCience is never done "from authority" Those who may not be part of the working hands in science may wish to believe that but science is the complete utterance of Spencer and Darwin. We never accept anything "on authority". If it can be checked it is, If it can be overturned, it is done so gleefully,If numbers dont work out, excoriations are published so quickly that each tech journal has a "Point/ Counterpoint" section in every volume number.
Actually, its religion that accepts on authority. I believe that defines "Faith", cause you cant falsify, evaluate, repeat, test , or collect evidence for it

Quote:

Thats a statement "on authority" no? I really dont wish to pull out my Judge Jones and read you what is or is not science and how the US III Federal District Court views your views. Just because you wish something to be , doesnt mean it is so.

Quote:

Im sorry, Im having too much fun deriving retardation kinetics to even give a rats ass about "what results you can contrive" And I do mean "contrive"

Ionus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 02:34 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Why bother to try to sound "scientific" when your very premises are faulty.
A factless declaration. Why dont you support it with an argument based on facts ? What are his premises that you think are wrong ?
spendius

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 02:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ive returned home and, while eating supper, read your post.

I assume it wasn't another pizza. Fancy a man of your age and experience eating a pizza for supper. Pizza is nightmare tackle.

Quote:
1I am pleased that , with this one post youve been able to write clearly and without run-ons and without wildy swinging logic(not to mention all your British hangups with women).

I assume that is by way of suggesting that my previous posts were not written clearly without offering any evidence to support the ridiculous proposition. It might look neat to you fm but it's childish.

I like run-ons and swinging logic. The opposite is boring and requires tunnel vision and a semi-comatose audience.

And if you have no hangups regarding women then you are underestimating the little darlings. I don't do Pretty Polly in a gilded cage.

But-- my services are being called for so I will get back to you later.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:33 am
@Ionus,
Well Anus, merely look at the Title of this thread. It is "LAtest Challenges to the TEACHING of Evolution". Spendis discussion in support of evolution is irrelevant to the entire point.
In the US, are several factions of Evangelicals and Fundamentalists (not Christians Alone) that wish to see science become watered down with religion so that the very basis of science education, which celebrates the "SCIENTIFIC METHOD", is based upon a naturalistic foundation, and REQUIRES testing and verification would have to include a mythopoeic base that requires nothing of the kind. The very foundation of science would be going two opposite ways.
Since this discussion was born out of the experience of US members, I can understand why neither you nor Spendi "get it". We guard our freedom of(and from) religion very carefully and we are (mostly) sensitive to the full content of the first AMendment of Our Constitution. It means a lot to several of us. Spendis discussion about "his belief about belief", while often entertaining, is totally without reference within the context of this discussion. Weve told him numerous times and have asked him to start a thread about it. NO, he would rather extend the discusion herein (and in one or two other threads).
Science is alays busy trying to unseat Darwin its a fact.However, thats not a point for discussion herein unless its in context of how that point is muddled and used as "evidence" by Creationists and IDers to include their own worldview in our public school science curricula.