Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
Snow fm functions, although it is a stretch to say it is its purpose, to stop activity and thus provide a period of quiet meditation and a chance to take stock of the situation.

That is why Faustian Christianity developed in Northern Europe.

Snowshoes, by allowing escapist activity to continue, however awkwardly, are obviously inhibiting to deep thought which is probably the reason you seek to renew yours.
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:08 pm
@spendius,
smashed again eh spendi?
wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:36 pm
@farmerman,
It is always fun watching spendi struggle to make a rational statment.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:53 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
struggle to make a rational statment

high praise indeed from a doyen of delusion cf. your apophenia daffynitions

joking only joking

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
You know, this has been bothering me for the longest damned time. That tea has been up for what, years now? It must be gettin' pretty damned bitter by now. I bet you could tan leather with it by now.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:56 pm
@Setanta,
you mean bark tea
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:39 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
It is always fun watching spendi struggle to make a rational statment.

I have tried to explain in simple words, and a few times, that religions are determined by local conditions. All to no avail. So I thought a little metaphor might help your understanding of what is a well known scientific principle.

It is on that science that some commentators are of the opinion that eventually the religion of the aboriginal population of a territory which has been invaded by outsiders will be restored. The Reconquista is a name I have seen.

As the human race in social groups is always and everywhere given to religious practices the vacuum created by atheism might be a necessary first stage in the process. Whether the Burning Man movement, the polygamy practices in certain areas and the NFL, with its "braves", its violence, its insignias, its female roles and its face paint, are signs of the drift in that direction I am not expert enough to say but I agree that From Here To Eternity could not have been written by a European writer with manliness being linked to individualism and the "brave" hero suffering pain with stoic endurance. Harold Robbins and John Wayne are impossible here.

If the theory is accepted then it is fair to assume that militant atheists are giving the process a kick-start. Tonto is famous for saying "Me go-me come back".

Obviously the Christian rearguard action will be strongest where it is most under threat. i.e. where the warmest weather is.

Anyway wande--what have rational statements got to do with it. I have never seen so many irrational statements as anti-IDers have piled up on your threads.

But I must admit that the process is slow and unlikely to seriously affect you lot so you can indulge your quaint individualism to your heart's content. The word "struggle" was seriously irrational. I just breezed that post in a minute or two.

I'm aware that you cannot be made to see the connections between Gothic Christianity and long, dark cold winters and the consequent worship of light and the science derived from it. Mosques are designed to keep direct light out. Having lived in those regions for over a year I can assure you that one gets heartily sick of sunlight.

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:03 am
@spendius,
I worry about spendi, his posts have lost an edge, they are vapid and sophomoric "vapomoric".

Perhaps its the ethanol in his life combined with the Paris Green wallpaper in his flat.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 09:37 am
KENTUCKY UPDATE
Quote:
Kentucky’s “Intellectual Freedom” Act
(Science and Religion Today, February 12, 2010)

Republican Representative Tim Moore has introduced a new bill in the Kentucky House of Representatives that would let teachers promote “objective discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of scientific theories” and “use, as permitted by the local board of education, materials in addition to state-approved texts and instructional materials for discussion of scientific theories including evolution, the origins of life, global warming, and human cloning.” The bill has been sent to the House Education Committee.

Like other “academic freedom” bills, this one claims not to be promoting any religious doctrine"though, to many, this bill (like the others) is a stealth attempt to undercut the teaching of evolution and sneak religious ideas like “intelligent design” into the science classroom.

We were shocked to learn that Kentucky currently has a statute that allows instructors teaching evolution to “include as a portion of such instruction the theory of creation as presented in the Bible, and may accordingly read such passages in the Bible as are deemed necessary for instruction on the theory of creation, thereby affording students a choice as to which such theory to accept.” The statute also says that for students “who accept the Bible theory of creation, credit shall be permitted on any examination in which adherence to such theory is propounded, provided the response is correct according to the instruction received.”
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 10:41 am
@wandeljw,
global warming and cloning are not "theories" they are applications of data. The cyclicity of GW is evident from geologic records. There is no theory that occupies a way to apply data and project and use it to make predictions that are valid to date.
The issue that GW is occuring is undeniable, were arguing about its causation and the anthropogenic cause is losing credibility . AS far as cloning, its an application of medicine and genetics, iits not a theory, its one of the bases for the theory of natural selection.

Challenging theories is a time tested way of learning the basics of the science because we need to investigate what we are challenging. Im sure that , should the Ky law just allow a baseless B ible centered critique of the science, then they will be in line for their own court challenge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 10:52 am
Given the nature of the statute which it says is already on the books, i'm surprised that it has not already been challenged in court. The only explanation i can think of is that it has never been implemented. The problem they'd run into in court immediately is the description of other cosmogonies as "theories," given that a theory requires an underpinning of data.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 11:35 am
@Setanta,
I tend to agree that if its on the books it doesnt mean that its in effect somehwere. If a case does come up, Im sure itll be a class action by some aggrieved parents and a few braver teachers v the ed board of Ky.
Nat selection, of the above , is the only thing that approaches "theory" status. So having the theory challenged but done in a truly scientific method way, would actually be a learning experience. If the kids are , instead fed som bible **** and told to compare, thats a Federal case a brewin.

I wonder how this USSC would approach this case if it were just a means to challenge and better develop the aspects of accepted theories. It would open up similar discussions for germ theory, atomic theory etc.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 11:44 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Given the nature of the statute which it says is already on the books, i'm surprised that it has not already been challenged in court. The only explanation i can think of is that it has never been implemented. The problem they'd run into in court immediately is the description of other cosmogonies as "theories," given that a theory requires an underpinning of data.

Here is a link to a pdf copy of the Kentucky statute which was apparently enacted in 1990:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/158-00/177.PDF
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:08 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

KENTUCKY UPDATE
Quote:
Kentucky’s “Intellectual Freedom” Act
(Science and Religion Today, February 12, 2010)

We were shocked to learn that Kentucky currently has a statute that allows instructors teaching evolution to “include as a portion of such instruction the theory of creation as presented in the Bible, and may accordingly read such passages in the Bible as are deemed necessary for instruction on the theory of creation, thereby affording students a choice as to which such theory to accept.” The statute also says that for students “who accept the Bible theory of creation, credit shall be permitted on any examination in which adherence to such theory is propounded, provided the response is correct according to the instruction received.”

How did that thing get snuck in there?
wandeljw

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:12 pm
@rosborne979,
I wasn't even aware of it until today. It has been part of state law in Kentucky since at least 1990.

(also, don't forget: Kentucky is the home of the world-famous Creation Museum)
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:24 pm
@wandeljw,
That's not a surprise seeing as Kentucky is also known for thoroughbred horses, horse racing, bourbon distilleries, bluegrass music, automobile manufacturing, coal mining and tobacco production rather that beauty parlours, sexual perversion and poseurs.

And Sophie Clapsaddle-Cox was from there who was an ancestor of a lady I used to know quite well.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@spendius,
And Sophie was related in the maternal line to a general who was one of the pall-bearers at the funeral of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:04 am
TEXAS UPDATE
Quote:
Voters can end dysfunction at State Board of Education
(EDITORIAL BOARD, Austin Statesman, Feb. 14, 2010)

It's always tempting to sleepwalk through elections for the State Board of Education. In truth, we've all done that. After all, we're not voting for our local school boards or choosing the people who will represent us in the Legislature or city hall. We ask ourselves what difference it makes if this or that person serves on the 15-member board we know so little about?

It can make a big difference, and that is why we urge voters to pay attention to these elections. Consider that the education board has the authority to steer Texas public schools " including your public school " to greater success with its power to set academic standards and curriculum, choose textbooks, make policies and manage the $22 billion Permanent School Fund. And that is why it is so painful to watch the continued dysfunction of a board that could move schools " and therefore Texas " forward if it got its act together.

Instead, the board largely has become a national embarrassment that serves to promote stereotypes of Texas as a backward state more focused on basic skills than technology and advanced sciences " a state preoccupied with pushing a cultural agenda with requirements that schools teach the biblical theory of creation (or intelligent design) alongside evolution.

It's a board largely blinded to certain realities as witnessed by its move to establish abstinence-only sex education in high schools in a state with one of the nation's highest teenage pregnancy rates.

While reviewing standards for social studies, board members recently made an embarrassing decision to remove a popular children's author, who they mistook for someone who wrote about Marxism.

Then there is the fact that some current board members have made clear their distaste for public schools, electronic textbooks and ethics rules banning cronyism in the management of the school fund.

No wonder the Legislature continues to do end runs around the board. Voters have an opportunity to repair a dysfunctional entity that is hindering progress for Texas' more than 1,100 school districts and 4.7 million students.

There are two state board races that Central Texas voters will decide in the March 2 Republican and Democratic primaries: District 5 and District 10. District 5 spans portions of Travis, Bell and Bexar counties along with Hays, Burnet, Caldwell, Llano, Blanco, Comal, Gillespie, Guadalupe and Kendall counties.

District 10 spans Williamson, Bastrop, Fayette, Lee, a portion of Travis, along with Milam, Fort Bend, Brazoria, Dewitt, Burleson, Washington, Gonzales, Waller, Austin, Colorado and Lavaca.

In the District 5 Republican primary, Tim Tuggey, 54, gets our endorsement. Tuggey, running against incumbent Ken Mercer, is a lawyer and lobbyist from Austin who graduated with honors from the University of Texas School of Law, served as a captain in the U.S. Army and is a product of Texas public schools.

Tuggey brings a level head and financial management experience to the board. It speaks volumes that he has earned the endorsement of business leader Red McCombs and H-E-B. CEO Charles Butt for a campaign that focuses on improving dropout rates, preparing students for college or work after high school and competent oversight of the school fund.

In the District 5 Democratic primary, Rebecca Bell-Metereau, 60, is the best choice. She is running against Daniel Boone, Josiah James Ingalls and Robert Bohmfalk.

Bell-Metereau brings strong skills to the job as a longtime English professor at Texas State University. With a distinguished academic background, experience raising two daughters in San Marcos public schools, high energy and thorough knowledge of the challenges facing public schools, she won't put politics over children's welfare.

For District 10, we endorse Republican Rebecca Osborne, 51, a teacher in the Round Rock school district. It would be a refreshing change to have someone on the board who could give a contemporary classroom perspective. In addition to college preparation, she wants schools to offer career and vocational instruction for students who decide to go directly to jobs after high school.

She is running against Brian Russell and Marsha Farney to fill a seat vacated by Cynthia Dunbar.

Democrat Judy Jennings is running unopposed in the District 10 Democratic primary.

We're also making an endorsement in the District 9 race that includes Brazos County, home of Texas A&M University. We recommend Thomas Ratliff in the Republican primary.

Ratliff, 42, of Mount Pleasant, a graduate of Texas Tech University with a UT master's degree, has immersed himself in public school issues, including serving as a room parent for his daughter's second grade class. He understands the urgency of the task of getting students ready to compete in a global society.

His opponent, incumbent Don McLeroy, 63, is stuck in the past, advocating a back-to-basics curriculum that all but guarantees that Texas students will lag behind their peers. Time to end McLeroy's tenure.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:29 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Consider that the education board has the authority to steer Texas public schools " including your public school " to greater success with its power to set academic standards and curriculum, choose textbooks, make policies and manage the $22 billion Permanent School Fund.

But wande, the case is just the same for the other 49 states is it not. "Success", which the EDITORIAL BOARD have not troubled themselves to define, is measured by a comparison with those other states.

Who is to know what tactics should be employed to ensure being top of the league table? The EB has the same problem that the football supporter has who thinks he can do a better job than the coach despite not having been chosen to be the coach who has to choose plays and manage the budget.

Who is to say that a high teenage pregnancy rate is a good or bad thing? Certainly, in racehorse breeding early foals command a premium at auction despite what the respectable ladies of the salons of the north-eastern states might think and evolution theory supports the "infusoria" being introduced to female organisms at the earliest opportunity right across the board.

The EB is self-evidently very confused on this matter in seeking to suggest that teenage pregnancy is somehow not respectable or advantageous and shows itself to be infused with doctrines derived from Christian morality.

With such incoherent drivel being the result of, presumably, careful cogitation one might easily suspect that "cronyism" is the guiding principle determining the selection of the members of the EDITORIAL BOARD which, it is worth reminding readers, has no need to submit itself to the consideration of the voting public.

Would not high drop-out rates help to ensure that certain occupations are fully staffed because it is difficult to imagine that if all the students qualified for exposure to the higher learning (see Thorstein Veblen) they will hardly expect to join the ranks of road menders, sewage workers, cow punchers, gas pumpers, dish washers etc etc and thus large numbers of immigrants will be required to deal with the **** created by millions of upthrusting, well-paid executive types, scientists, lawyers and members of editorial boards etc etc.

The Austin Statesman is owned by Cox Enterprises which owns 13 dailies, 28 weeklies, 15 TV stations and 86 radio broadcasters operating all over the USA. It is a private company 98% controlled by Anne Cox Chambers, an octogenarian, and the 2 children of her late sister, Barbara Cox Anthony. The chairman is her son, James C. Kennedy.

Cronyism with the gas pedal flat to the boards I would think wande.

Cox Enterprises is originally out of Dayton, Ohio where it was run by a Democratic candidate for the 1920 presidential election. It is now based in Sandy Springs, Georgia.

Do you mind wande--this is supposed to be a science thread and not a vehicle for the dissemination of second hand and third rate propaganda.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:04 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
But wande, the case is just the same for the other 49 states is it not.
Im sure this has been discussed many times. The answer is NO spendi. California, Texas, and Kentucky have education boards that supercede the autonomy of the local shool districts. These states select and choose textbooks that are used throughout the stae. Texas wields this like a sledge hammer and has tried, in the past, to dictate what it feels is "proper godloving science".
These states also enact and enforce the curriculum topics. That is very different than most all other states. Remember Dover? that was an example of one rebel school board trying to compromise what is considered good science and replace it with Christian evangelical bullshit. That happened only at one small school board in a state with 67 counties and perhaps 25 schoolboards per county, each autonomous and variably motivated.