Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
"No matter who you support for president, we should all be able to agree that Ms. Dunbar's disgusting attack is a shocking example of the extremism that has infected the state board," TFN President Kathy Miller said.

"It's stunning that a board member who helps decide what Texas children learn in their public schools would say something so disgusting and reprehensible. She should be taking refresher courses in civics and good citizenship, not deciding what Texas kids learn."

Well said.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:06 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Democrat Tim Brew, who teaches world history at East Paulding High School, does not support teaching creationism.

"Our Western civilization, since the Renaissance and scientific revolution, is predicated on using and instructing with the scientific method. The science and facts of the day are quite clear that man has evolved. I think it therefore appropriate that we teach evolution and leave any other theory, like creationism and intelligent design, to our religious institutions," Brew said.

Exactly.

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
@rosborne979,
Have you ever met a high-school history teacher ros? If you want to see lies in a classroom go to a high-school history lesson.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:05 am
TEXAS UPDATE
Quote:
Four Texas education board members re-elected
(Associated Press, November 4, 2008)

DALLAS"Four State Board of Education members Tuesday were elected back to the curricula-setting panel that will next year tackle the potentially divisive subject of science in Texas public schools.

The education board will tackle science curriculum standards next year, possibly opening the door for intelligent design supporters.

Voters sent Democrat Mavis Knight back to the education board over Republican Cindy Werner in one of four major challenges to incumbents.

Also clinching victory were three Republicans running without Democratic challengers: Terri Leo of Spring, Barbara Cargill of The Woodlands and Patricia Hardy of Fort Worth.

When the board revisits science curricula, debate over what to teach Texas students about mankind’s origins could bring clashes between social conservatives and moderates.

Knight, a board member since 2002, won after jumping out with more than 77 percent of the vote in early reporting.

Democrat Mary Helen Berlanga, the board’s longest-serving member, led Republican challenger Peter Johnston in the South Texas district she’s represented for 26 years. Berlanga has been a critic of intelligent design, a religious-based theory that purports the universe is too complex for science alone to explain.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:19 pm
@wandeljw,
Later results in Texas show that seven education board incumbents (5 republicans and 2 democrats) all retained their seats in yesterday's election. The composition of the board remains unchanged. The proposed science education review panel with 3 creationists and 3 mainstream scientists will probably be approved later this month by this state board.
spendius

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:13 am
@wandeljw,
A government minister here has said that blogs are undermining democracy and contributing to a climate of despair.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:48 am
KANSAS UPDATE
Quote:
Campbell elected to state ed board; Results diminish membership of conservatives
(By Barbara Hollingsworth, The Topeka Capital-Journal, November 05, 2008)

Topekan Carolyn Campbell won her historic run for the Kansas State Board of Education during an election that further shifted control of the board away from conservatives.

Campbell, a Democrat, will become the state's first black school board member when she and other newly elected board members take their seats in January. Campbell, who deliberately filed for office on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, grew up attending the city's segregated elementary schools before the landmark school desegregation decision Brown v. Board of Education. She defeated Topeka Republican Bob Meissner.

Campbell recalled late Tuesday "when I was at McKinley Elementary School and how they drilled in us we could be whatever we wanted to be, we just had to work hard and never take second place if you could take first place."

Campbell was one of three Democrats who won election to the state board Tuesday. Additionally, Republican winner David Dennis, of Wichita, has said he supported how the current state science standards address evolution " a litmus test issue for many voters.

The only conservative to win election was Kathy Martin, a Clay Center Republican who also was the only incumbent running for re-election. She was defeating Democrat Christopher Renner, of Manhattan, with 59 percent of the vote with most precincts reporting early today.

The results expand the moderate/liberal faction's lead to 7-3 " at least until 2010 when the other five state board seats are up for election.

(emphasis added)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:31 am
when science standards are held prisoner to an election result we cyclically have to suffer and hope that things dont go too far out into Lala land. Still, redefining science standards based on the most recent election is idiotic and a waste of time and money. Perhaps theres a way to bifurcate teaching standards in the sciences from the political process cause its so damn stupid.
spendius

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Still, redefining science standards based on the most recent election is idiotic and a waste of time and money.

You are not very observant effemm for a scientist. Idiots wasting time and money is the whole bloody point. It's like saying that a bird preening its feathers in a puddle is a waste of time and money.

Live and let live for ****'s sake. They don't mind you scratching on a branch.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
UK UPDATE
Quote:
Creationism survey is not all it seems
(James Randerson, The Guardian, November 7 2008)

I'm not quite sure what to make of this survey from the website and TV station Teachers TV. It apparently shows that 29% of teachers think creationism should be taught as science and 18% of science teachers think evolution and creationism should be given equal status.

To anyone who cares about science, evidence and rational argument these results should be shocking. Any science teacher who is at all ambiguous about the difference between a scientific based explanation for the diversity of life and a faith based one that contradicts a mountain of evidence is not doing their job.

But we should take this survey with a pinch of salt. Firstly, the sample of 1210 is self-selecting - these are people who responded to a survey that was emailed to 10,600 education professionals. So it is possible that people at both extremes of the debate would be more likely to reply.

Also, only a minority of the respondents would actually be teaching evolution anyway - 336 were at primary school, 61 weren't teachers at all and just 248 are actually science teachers. Does it matter what an English or Religious Education teacher thinks about what is taught in science lessons?

One of the most controversial findings was that 31% of the total (and 18% of science teachers) believed that intelligent design and creationism deserved "equal status" in the classroom. But unfortunately, the question did not specify which classroom it was referring to - science or RE?

Nonetheless, I was most struck by the fact that 29% disagreed or strongly disagreed with the government's guidelines on teaching evolution. These state: "Creationism and intelligent design are not part of the science national curriculum programmes of study and should not be taught as science."

Any science teacher who disagrees with that should be seeking alternative employment.

The developmental biologist Prof Lewis Wolpert at University College London said he was concerned about the findings.

"It is worrying, it's certainly worrying. It means they have a very poor understanding of science," he said. "Creationism has got nothing to do with science."
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:58 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Nonetheless, I was most struck by the fact that 29% disagreed or strongly disagreed with the government's guidelines on teaching evolution. These state: "Creationism and intelligent design are not part of the science national curriculum programmes of study and should not be taught as science."

Any science teacher who disagrees with that should be seeking alternative employment.

We can only hope.
spendius

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:42 pm
@rosborne979,
Keep your chin up ros. McCain is a loser and he got 46% and from a very large sample. 26% of --well-what? is not something to write home about.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:23 am
Quote:
School board hopeful cries foul
(By John-John Williams IV, Baltimore Sun, November 9, 2008)

The winners in the race for county school board will not be official for days, but one candidate already says that dirty campaigning could cost her a seat.

Diane Butler, who finished fourth in the contest for three seats, said campaign literature distributed by third-place finisher Allen Dyer was taken out of context and distributed without her permission.

"This is dirty politics," said Butler, who finished about 1,000 votes behind Dyer. "I was very nice with Allen, and this is how he repaid me."

The literature contained Butler's answer to a question about "Intelligent Design" that was included on a candidates survey. Butler said she completed the questionnaire early in the year for the group Democracy for Howard County.

"I was very new at what I was doing," Butler said. "I sent them quick answers. ... It is my own fault for not being savvy enough."

Butler said she cannot remember exactly what she wrote on the questionnaire. She has attempted to retrieve a copy of the answer she sent the group, but she said her computer has since been "fried."

The question from Democracy for Howard County was: "Do you support or oppose the teaching of creationism or what is called 'Intelligent Design' as part of the curriculum in county schools."

According to the group, Butler responded: "I believe 'Intelligent Design' should be taught as a different theory than 'Evolution.' In science we have many subjects that are taught theoretically, and I believe all sides should be offered to allow students to make up their own minds."

Butler objected because she thought the answer in Dyer's literature did not accurately reflect her views.

"I'm not a creationism-teaching, right-wing, voucher-slinging, home-schooling mom," she said.

When asked Thursday to describe her views, Butler said: "I think it is a religious doctrine. I think it is taught in Christian religion. It is not a curriculum that you need to teach in the classroom. But you can't teach history without teaching religion; it is a doctrine out there that people discuss."

County election officials said about 13,000 absentee ballots had yet to be counted and that results would not be official until Friday. Dyer said his campaign distributed about 2,000 pamphlets in the days before the election. Butler, who also finished fourth behind Dyer in the February primary, said his "negative campaign tactics" had a direct impact on Tuesday's vote.

"I had people calling my friends," she said. "I lost a lot of votes over it. I [might have] lost the election over it. I had more votes in the primary.

"I am not being sour grapes," said Butler, a community activist from Ellicott City. "I am upset that I have been maliciously maligned. He had no business using it."

Dyer disagreed.

"It is something that is very much fair game," the Ellicott City attorney said. "It was not edited. It was not taken out of context."

Dyer said he worked harder than Butler in the general election.

"I didn't see any [of her] campaign signs," Dyer said. "I didn't see anyone at the polls handing out Diane's literature. I worked. I worked hard. I worked pretty smart."

Dyer said he was approached by Democracy for Howard County a couple of months ago about passing out literature containing information about other board candidates' stances on issues. The group, which is affiliated with Democracy for America, the grass-roots organization that formed from Howard Dean's presidential campaign in 2004, endorsed Dyer and agreed to help with his campaign.

"I jumped at the chance," he said.

It is common for the group to offer support to candidates it endorses, said Dawn Popp, the organization's chairwoman. "We have no finances we can offer. What we can offer is boots-on-the-ground volunteers.

"It's crazy to think that this was a smear tactic," Popp said.

Dyer is no stranger to controversy. In 2000, he sued the school board in Circuit Court for what he said were violations of the state's Open Meetings Act. As a result, state legislation was passed to strengthen enforcement of the law.

Dyer also represented four residents who questioned potential water contamination and other environmental concerns associated with a 400-seat addition at Glenelg High School. An administrative judge ruled against Dyer's clients in that case.

Butler, vice president of the St. John's Lane Community Association after serving four years as president, has said that she wants to increase academic rigor in the classroom. Butler has said that she home-schools her daughter out of concern over the quality of county schools.

"She was more conservative than our group, certainly," Popp said when asking why her group did not endorse Butler.

Dyer acknowledged the guidance of several people who helped with his campaign, including Ken Stevens, a member of the Democracy for Howard County steering committee. Popp said she now considers Dyer a full member of the organization.

Butler said that if she is not elected to the board this time, she is unsure whether she will seek a position in the future. In the meantime, she has returned to her post with the St. John's Lane Community Association.

"I don't want it damaging my reputation," she said.
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:49 pm
@wandeljw,
It must give the kids an enormous amount of confidence to see that their education is in the hands of such obviously well qualified people.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:07 am
Yesterday was the forty year anniversary of the supreme court decision on Epperson v. Arkansas. Below is a summary of the decision:
Quote:
U.S. Supreme Court
EPPERSON v. ARKANSAS, 393 U.S. 97 (1968)
Argued October 16, 1968.
Decided November 12, 1968.

Appellant Epperson, an Arkansas public school teacher, brought this action for declaratory and injunctive relief challenging the constitutionality of Arkansas' "anti-evolution" statute. That statute makes it unlawful for a teacher in any state-supported school or university to teach or to use a textbook that teaches "that mankind ascended or descended from a lower order of animals." The State Chancery Court held the statute an abridgment of free speech violating the First and Fourteenth Amendments. The State Supreme Court, expressing no opinion as to whether the statute prohibits "explanation" of the theory or only teaching that the theory is true, reversed the Chancery Court. In a two-sentence opinion it sustained the statute as within the State's power to specify the public school curriculum.

Held: The statute violates the Fourteenth Amendment, which embraces the First Amendment's prohibition of state laws respecting an establishment of religion. Pp. 102-109.

(a) The Court does not decide whether the statute is unconstitutionally vague, since, whether it is construed to prohibit explaining the Darwinian theory or teaching that it is true, the law conflicts with the Establishment Clause. Pp. 102-103.

(b) The sole reason for the Arkansas law is that a particular religious group considers the evolution theory to conflict with the account of the origin of man set forth in the Book of Genesis. Pp. 103, 107-109.

(c) The First Amendment mandates governmental neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion. Pp. 103-107.

(d) A State's right to prescribe the public school curriculum does not include the right to prohibit teaching a scientific theory or doctrine for reasons that run counter to the principles of the First Amendment. P. 107.

(e) The Arkansas law is not a manifestation of religious neutrality. P. 109.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:36 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Yesterday was the forty year anniversary of the supreme court decision on Epperson v. Arkansas.

And the religious nuts are still at it.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:29 am
I know this must seem cynical, but I can't help but think that the most vociferous supporters of teaching evolution are merely trying to pin enlightenment medals on their own chests.

Yes, evolution should be taught in our schools as the closest thing we have to fact about the development of life on this planet.

No, creationism should not be taught in our schools as a scientific, or even philosophical, equivalent of the theory of evolution.

Despite the paranoid caterwauling, Creationism is not gradually shoving out Evolution in the school districts around our country. At worst, a very few school districts have insisted that Creationism be given the same educational status as Evolution.

No one is being subjected to the rack for teaching Evolution, nor is anyone going to jail or even being fired.

Unless one believes that kids are sponges that will soak up whatever swill is poured on them with the most force, school districts that require equal footing for Creationism are not going to brainwash a generation.

Let me repeat myself --- Creationism does not deserve equal footing with Evolution in the science classroom, and school districts that have required same are not only wrong but potentially harming their students.

Having said this, these school districts are clearly in the minority, but I am equally concerned by districts where students are taught that American history is a tattered quilt of racism and genocide.

People who object to the political forces that drive Creationism being taught in schools should admit that there are corresponding inanities being pressed into syllabi by leftist politics.

Let's all agree schools should clearly distinguish between fact and opinion, and where the latter is permissive, that opposing opinions be allowed and respected.

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 05:54 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I know this must seem cynical, but I can't help but think that the most vociferous supporters of teaching evolution are merely trying to pin enlightenment medals on their own chests.

I've been telling them that for years Finn. They just put me on Ignore -- that's how enlightened they are.

It allows them to think of themselves as scientists which is a delusion of monumental proportions.

It's in the cause of undermining Christian thinking for those who have, are or wish to ignore Christian precepts. Particularly is the sexual field.
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 06:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I on opening agree that it would be just ducky if you were right Finnzy.However, as you seem to opine, The assaults by the Religious into the science curricula arent occuring in a small randomized sample of hick schools only . Its occuring at the state levels, and the states initially targeted (like Texas)have "special benefits", like massive textbook contracts, large controls over land grant colleges , and statewide ed boards that influence hevy control over all districts within. Other states have ed boards that set "Policy" not law.

If you were correct in your post , why does this intellectual assault on science appear to be centrally coordinated? Why are the very same "experts" always showing up whether its KAnsas, Texas, Louisiana, orOhio and PA?(Not to mention Wisconsin, Indiana, California, Kentucky and lately MAine?)

I would agree with you greatly Finn , if the conditions of which you spake were accurate. However, the NCSE tracks the coordinated activities of AIG, The DIscovery Institute, SCI and ICS, and several other Fundamental groups. The coordinated efforst have already infused their own colleges with a "no evolution at any cost" Biology Program. Several Conservative "Catholic" Universities like Ave MAria have begun joining this band. We cant affect any changes at University level because these are all private institutions and there is really no state guidance at the U level other than what Grad schools accept via their own requirements (and of course the GRE tests). Liberty and Bob Jones already offer advanced degrees in programs that are cleverly organized to be ""science" laced heasvily with apologetics. Im not sure how they skate past the accreditation process at the MS and PhD level. I presume that the accreditation is specific for Theology programs and a PhD in Christian Biology would be considered a religion Doctorate by the regional accreditation board.

We dont disagree about the places of science in science, and maybe you have some merit in stating that many of us do this to "pin a medal " on our pro bono time. SO WHAT?, someone has gotta do the water carrying in this . I sure as hell dont like getting some kid into one of my classes who is totally unprepared for the rigors of applied geophysics because the kid cant understand the deep time significance of a density separated unconformity between two rock beds. SOmewhere weve got kids being taught this **** and there are actually well organized and well funded groups who want their position universally accepted and damn scientific evidence and the scientific method. Two additional points:

1Think about the "Wedge Document" of the Discovery Institute. As far as I know, this is still the way it is with those boys.They unashamedly profess that they want a Jesus Centered school experience and Intelligent Design is just a convenient euphemism for religious supremacy .

2In the last century and up to the 1980's, it was a time of "Creationism Only" that then morphed later into "Creationism and Evolution must be taught side by side", which then morphed into "Scientific Creationsism" and finally two entire states held ou with Creationism lAws in their science curricula.

Finn, you make it sound like that if we just left them alone, the Creationist movement would collapse under sheer evidence. I dont share your view,but I do wish it were so.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I for one don't consider myself worthy of an "Enlightenment medal" just because I happen to understand the basic principles of science and biology. The last time I looked, those things were supposed to be given to all students as a basic function of public education.

The very fact that you seem to think of basic biology as "enlightenment" indicates that the effectiveness of fundamental science education is failing on a broad level for some reason. And while there may be many reasons for less than adequate science education, it certainly doesn't help having coordinated strategic attacks leveled at weak points in the educational system (school boards and book sellers).

I agree with FM's well stated reply. Most of us who promote scientific rationality aren't interested in preening, we're interested in not having another generation of adults (we have to live with) who don't understand enough of the world around them to make educated decisions about things. Remember, it's not just evolution which is under attack here, it's science itself. And it's also first amendment rights which are being attacked by religious incursion.

As for why science education gets more of the attention that accuracy in history, it's because science has objective rules which mean that in many cases the arguments being presented against it are not debatable. If a particular religious group found the rules of mathematics objectionable and were trying to undermine math education, you would see mathematicians resisting them just as we are resisting attacks on science. And I don't think you would be saying that the mathematicians were making their case just so pin a medal on their chest for knowing basic math.