Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

wandeljw

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:55 am
TEXAS UPDATE
Quote:
Lowe to guide education board through hot issues
(By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press, Aug. 15, 2009)

AUSTIN, Texas " As Gail Lowe takes the helm of the State Board of Education, the turmoil-laden panel that has long been a battleground in the fight between social conservatives and liberal watchdogs, the incoming chairwoman is decidedly unapologetic about her conservative Christian views.

Lowe was appointed to the spot last month by Gov. Rick Perry to replace former chairman Don McLeroy, whose appointment to a second term as chairman was rejected by the state Senate.

"This country was founded on Judeo Christian principles and to say otherwise is to deny what is very unique about our country," Lowe said in a recent interview with The Associated Press. "The principle of church and state would say the government cannot mandate anyone can or cannot belong to any particular church."

Gov. Rick Perry surprised observers with his selection of Lowe, 52, a mild-mannered, small-town newspaper publisher who acknowledges she's not a "broad visionary" but more of a nuts-and-bolts person. She'll replace McLeroy, an ardent conservative targeted by critics for his outspoken views on creationism and support of teaching students weaknesses of evolutionary theory.

Debates under McLeroy's watch made the Texas board a national target of editorials and opinion pieces, including a New York Times editorial in which writers called the Texas panel "scientifically illiterate" and charged that they "fumbled" a revision of science curriculum standards. Ultimately, McLeroy lost a bid to maintain a curriculum requirement that students be taught weaknesses in evolution.

Mild mannered and matronly, Lowe is seen by some as a calming influence, who will be better equipped to guide the board through passionate debates, including the upcoming adoption of science textbooks and social studies curriculum updates.

She's quickly mastered parliamentary procedure, an area that has hampered the board in the past, and she "is always well prepared, she's read the agenda and thought through the issues," said Debbie Graves Ratcliffe, a spokesman for the Texas Education Agency.

"As a professional communicator, she can do a good job summarizing lengthy discussions to clarify what the upcoming decision is," she said.

Still, critics say Texas students will be getting more of the same with Lowe, who believes students should be taught biblical motives of the country's founding fathers.

"I think essentially we're going to see the same thing," said Dan Quinn, a spokesman for the Austin-based Texas Freedom Network, a watchdog group. "We'll still see our kids and classrooms dragged into the middle of the culture wars."

Since she was elected to the board in 2002, Lowe has consistently voted with the panel's conservative faction, from her opposition to including contraception information in health textbooks to criticizing textbooks that she believed did not adequately challenge the theory of evolution.

"Most members of our board are people of faith, only some of us have a faith that is attacked, singled out because of the types of churches we go to," said Lowe, who grew up in the Methodist Church but is now active in a small nondenominational church in Lampasas. "Religious expression is something that has been deemed very important, but I don't believe in either the science curriculum or in social studies, we are pushing a particular religious belief system."

The SBOE sets school curricula, selects textbooks and manages the multibillion dollar Permanent School Fund for the state's more than 4.6 million students. Turmoil has already emerged in the social studies discussions and with months left in the process, could become more heated.

The latest hubbub has been over proposals to minimize the importance of civil rights leaders Cesar Chavez and Thurgood Marshall in social studies classes.

Two experts on a board-appointed advisory panel say Chavez, a civil rights activist who supporters say greatly improved conditions for Hispanic farm workers, and Marshall, who argued the landmark case that resulted in racial desegregation and was the first black U.S. Supreme Court justice, receive too much attention.

Panelist David Barton, an evangelical Republican activist who was appointed by Lowe, said Chavez "lacks the stature, impact and overall contributions of so many others."

Lowe agrees.

Marshall and Chavez are "not particularly known for their citizenship," Lowe said. "Figures we use to represent those character ideals (citizenship, patriotism and community involvement) and the type of persons we want your students to emulate should be politically neutral."

The social studies requirements will remain in place for the next decade, dictating what is taught in government, history and other social studies classes in elementary and secondary schools. The standards also will be used to develop state tests and by textbook publishers who develop textbook material for the nation based on their largest market, Texas.

"I think she has the ability to keep the discussions calm and focused and often it's not," Ratcliffe said. "She can be a very calming influence on the board, that looks for areas of agreement.

"I don't want to say Dr. McLeroy wasn't a lot of these things " he spoke his mind and not everyone agreed with his positions."
spendius

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:38 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
The latest hubbub has been over proposals to minimize the importance of civil rights leaders Cesar Chavez and Thurgood Marshall in social studies classes.

Two experts on a board-appointed advisory panel say Chavez, a civil rights activist who supporters say greatly improved conditions for Hispanic farm workers, and Marshall, who argued the landmark case that resulted in racial desegregation and was the first black U.S. Supreme Court justice, receive too much attention.

Panelist David Barton, an evangelical Republican activist who was appointed by Lowe, said Chavez "lacks the stature, impact and overall contributions of so many others."

Which is interesting. There must be a whole range of characters in the arena of social studies and only a short time in the classrooms to pay them attention. (Assuming attention is paid. Which I don't.)

It is inevitable that choices and emphases are limited and thus ideal for arguing over for ever and a day without getting anywhere other than where those who won the election decide where to end up.

There are other causes of better conditions for farm workers and for de-segregation than the activities of individuals. They could simply be riding the wave.

The whole educational process is shot through with this predicament. Hence the "chattering classes" and the wonderful techniques they have for getting by without performing any useful tasks.

What emphasis in scientific history ought one to give to Julien Offroy de La Mettrie and the Marquis de Sade who are said by some experts to have posited the basis on which modern scientific work rests and to have posited the basis on which all modern medicine and biology rest and to have posited the basis on which most of modern psychology rests. The former logically and the latter metaphorically. And both foundation stones in atheism.

What do the liberal "watchdogs" have to say on that point?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 08:32 am
UPDATE ON LAWSUIT AGAINST TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY
Quote:
Former TEA employee appeals case over controversial creation-evolution policy
(Amie Ninh, San Antonio Current, August 2009)

The federal court in the Western District of Texas dismissed her lawsuit earlier this spring, but Chris Comer, former Director of Science for the Texas Education Agency, will appeal the decision that upheld the TEA’s unwritten “neutrality” policy on evolution and creationism.

Comer was terminated in November 2007 after she forwarded an email to her colleagues from the National Center for Science Education about a public lecture by intelligent design critic Barbara Forrest.

Comer filed suit against the TEA in June 2008, arguing that the neutrality policy violated the Establishment Clause. After hearing oral arguments in December, the court denied Comer’s request for summary judgment, dismissed her claims with prejudice, and granted the TEA’s motion for summary judgment.

The opinion argued that the “policy is reasonable” and maintained TEA’s position that “Agency staff must remain neutral on disputed curriculum issues regardless of a particular position’s merit or constitutionality.”

Comer’s appellate brief states that the termination memo Comer received from her superiors was the first and only document in which the Agency mentioned its “neutrality” policy. The memo evoked a letter of protest signed by 135 science professors from Texas universities.

“Comer’s been the only person who has been reprimanded or forced to resign over such a policy,” said Glenn Branch, deputy director of the NCSE, who originally sent the email about Forrest’s lecture to Comer. “No one had heard about a policy before they decided to punish Comer. Certainly if I were in Texas, I would be concerned that state bureaucrats set these policies that aren’t written anywhere and are governing the way agencies are administered.”

Branch said Comer was simply doing her job.

“It’s perfectly reasonable for a state employee to disseminate information on that,” he said. “The most troubling part is that [this lawsuit] has to be brought in the first place and that she could be discharged for simply sending an email with ‘FYI’ added on.”

John L. Oberdorfer, one of Comer’s attorneys with Patton Boggs, said the state’s reply to the appeal will most likely be due in early October. He said a date for oral argument has not been scheduled yet.

“We thought Ms. Comer had been wronged, and we thought it was an important issue that needed to be addressed,” he said. “I’ll let the brief speak for itself. I think we’ve laid out why we thought the district court was wrong.”

In the brief, other notable court cases ruling on issues of creationism and evolution were cited, including Edwards v. Aguillard, which forbids the teaching of creationism along with evolution.

Comer and her attorneys are arguing the policy advances religion and thereby fails the “Lemon” test, established by Lemon v. Kurtzman in 1971. The test’s three criteria outline that legislation must have a secular purpose, cannot advance or inhibit religion, and cannot encourage excessive government entanglement with religion.

“Granting the Agency license to enforce neutrality ‘regardless of constitutionality’ impermissibly empowers the TEA to discipline employees for unconstitutional reasons,” the brief says.

Currently, no organizations have filed amicus briefs on Comer’s behalf. Branch said if the lawsuit continues past the appellate level, NCSE might consider filing one. However, he noted the importance of understanding that issues of creationism and evolution pervade multiple levels of the educational bureaucracy.

“Creationism and evolution controversy doesn’t only play out in the level of the classroom,” he said. “Things do happen like this at the local state departments of education and on the state boards of education, and they can have a greater impact.”
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:15 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

UPDATE ON LAWSUIT AGAINST TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY
Quote:
Former TEA employee appeals case over controversial creation-evolution policy
(Amie Ninh, San Antonio Current, August 2009)

Comer’s appellate brief states that the termination memo Comer received from her superiors was the first and only document in which the Agency mentioned its “neutrality” policy. The memo evoked a letter of protest signed by 135 science professors from Texas universities.

I'm confused. What were the 135 science professors in protest of?
wandeljw

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@rosborne979,
I read it that the science professors protested her firing (based on the reason given in her termination memo).
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:18 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
I read it that the science professors protested her firing (based on the reason given in her termination memo).

Hmmm, I'm not sure the opinion of 135 scientists matters on an issue which has nothing to do with science.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:26 am
@rosborne979,
Well, the issue does relate to science, unless I am seeing it wrong. She was fired for not being "neutral" on the subject of evolution. Since her domain was science education, shouldn't she support the teaching of scientific fact and be opposed to pseudo-science? (Pseudo-science is not something she should be "neutral" about if her responsibility is to advocate good science education for public school students.)
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:29 am
@wandeljw,
Ok so if I understand it right, the TEA used an "unwritten" neutrality standard to fire this lady, not because she had colleagues in the NCSE, but because she FYI'd them regarding a public speech by Barbara Forrester (an Anti-ID presenter)?

With a neutrality standard like that, they could pretty much fire anyone for having any associations outside of the TEA, or for sharing any information outside of the TEA.

This all seems like a poorly veiled excuse to fire someone they simply didn't like (for whatever reason).
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:31 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Well, the issue does relate to science, unless I am seeing it wrong.

I think the issue relates to the wording of the "unwritten" law which carries an implied definition of neutrality. The opinion of the scientists (as experts) is only relevant when evaluating an aspect of science, not of law (I think).
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:22 pm
I imagine, and I said so at the time, that Ms Comer was fired for being a general all-round confounded nuisance as soon as she offered an excuse for them to get rid of her.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:59 pm
@rosborne979,
Isn't this nearly and comically tantamount to getting Al Capone for tax evasion? It looks like now it's a tender spot and reactionary motives don't look that rational. I suppose the scientist might believe they will get a replacement that's less neutral? Obviously in what direction (?) and there's really no such thing as being more or less neutral -- it's like being almost pregnant.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:25 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
reactionary motives don't look that rational.

Give us an example of rational motives LW.

"Almost pregnant" is an interesting phrase.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:58 pm
@rosborne979,
I wonder how the TEA works on therequirements for teachers to maintain "professional proficiency" . The IDjits have won an important round by the neutrality clause. Without firing a shot , they have equated the world of Creationism and IDjicy as valid alternatives to Evolution.

Fancy footwork ifn ya ask me. I dont know whether this will prompt a court case but it should and the offended party should get reinstated, collect back wages, and be given punis. THen she should tell them to "Pack your job into your sacred pieholes" , Im going to teach in a state where the Bible isnt considered a science book.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:33 pm
@farmerman,
Which state do you suggest effemm? North Korea?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
I think the Creationuts and IDiots are in neutral trying to start the car. On a hill. Bye, bye!

The Discovery Institute Follies

A New Musical of Science Travesty

Book and lyrics by Hugh Ross

Music by The Same Old Tune

From the Guardian, UK, today:

The Proof Industry

Nathan Schneider

When modern-day debaters on belief use ancient proofs in their arguments, it's often to make a point they weren't meant to serve.

People have been thinking of proofs for the existence of God for millennia. Today's ongoing arguments conjure notions that date back to ancient Greece, the medieval monasteries, and Abbasid-era Baghdad. They come from some of history's greatest thinkers, polymaths who posited their proofs in the context of broader philosophical systems and bodies of reasoned knowledge. These people were generally less concerned to show whether a God exists or not " most assumed the answer to be yes " than to insist on the capacity of human reason to comprehend the universe.

In our age of televangelists and monkey trials, the proofs have come to take on a different form altogether. They're the weapons with which atheists and believers battle for control of the public square in polemical tracts and newspaper op-eds. What was once the pursuit of obscurantist intellectuals has become a hobby for the rank-and-file, spawning an industry all its own. Recent decades have seen the creation of a whole crop of organisations devoted to promoting arguments for the existence or nonexistence of God. In the process, the meanings and ends of the classic proofs are being transformed.

Leading the proof industry's charge are organisations like the Discovery Institute (of intelligent design fame), creationist Hugh Ross's Reasons to Believe, and Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron's Way of the Master ministry, equipping Christians with arguments for evangelising. Opposing them, one thinks of the Centre for Inquiry and the upstart Rational Response Squad, a team of atheists who take on believers in public debates. Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris have created their own foundations to promote their brand of thinking. Bob Avakian's Revolutionary Communist party has been putting its energy into the cause of unbelief as well.

When Thomas Aquinas inscribed his famous "Five Ways" of proving the existence of God at the top of his Summa Theologica, however, he wasn't planning on persuading atheists. His audience was fellow Catholics, people for whom God was a fact of life. They disagreed not about whether the divine exists, but on how to comprehend it. In the preceding decades, the scientific and metaphysical works of Aristotle had reappeared in Latin Europe, and some church leaders tried to ban them for fear that they would pose a threat to orthodoxy. Aquinas's lifelong mission was to persuade the church to embrace what could be learned from philosophy. Faith, he taught, is "the ascent of the intellect to that which is believed." In his world, Aquinas was a passionate defender of reason.

The Five Ways marshal the ideas of Aristotle, who lived three centuries before Christ, to argue that certain features of the Christian God can be proven rationally, independent of scripture. Like the proofs of others " from Aristotle and Plato, to Anselm of Canterbury, to Hegel " the Ways principally mattered not for what they showed, which most everyone agreed about anyway, but how they went about showing it.

Times have changed. We can be grateful to have a society with much more religious diversity than Thomas ever knew. Atheism is no longer a rumour to be spoken of in hushed tones; it is a viable, intellectually-satisfying way of understanding the universe for many people. This means that when the proof industry calls on earlier proofs to adjudicate contemporary quarrels, often it is to make a point they weren't originally concocted to serve. Fair enough; Aristotle certainly didn't intend his arguments to fall into the service of a religion that didn't even exist when he developed them. In the same way, Thomas never meant his Ways to fend off the Rational Response Squad in a debate on YouTube.

Interpreting the proofs in a world of non-profit organisations rather than pre-modern philosophers, though, we stand to forget some of their earlier elegance. The sensuous mysticism of Anselm's ontological argument gets translated by partisans into a sequence of tepid abstractions. As in places like the Creation Museum in Kentucky, the conceptual rigor of the argument from design is sacrificed for the performance value of animatronic dinosaurs.

Modern organisations tend to perpetuate themselves, since people's jobs depend on them and endowments protect them. The proof industry's proliferation probably means that debates will be settled later rather than sooner, and by public relations teams rather than finely-crafted arguments. It is what it is; all the better to have a public sphere vibrant enough to support vigorous debate across ideological lines. But better not to confuse the classic proofs with the uses to which they have come to be put.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:05 pm
@Lightwizard,
All the beautiful churches, temples, and art works depicting gods are proof enough that its about the Proof Industry. Many make good living at it, and what they sell are rhetoric about gods.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Do you really think that building churches and temples is only about that ci.? Have you never thought that there might be explanations for things which you have not yet been introduced to?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
These edifices were designed to "reach for Heaven," especially the gothic cathedrals, but science produces the Hubble telescope, multiple trips to the moon, unmanned landings and exploration of Mars, the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station. Now that's reaching for the heavens! It's not in some cumulus clouds as the ancients believed. Obviously, Arthur C. Clark and Stanley Kubrick had conjectured a giant advance in space exploration for 2001 which seems to me won't take place until the middle of this century. The Hubble has reached out with it's giant eye and photographed what now appears to be the edge of the universe, at least with material objects that generate any light. It's just as difficult to get one's head around, not a static Universe as Hoyle and originally Einstein proposed, but one that has no beginning nor an end -- an infinity of space and time. I don't believe I will live long enough to see the news that dark matter has been proven but it is a logical hypothesis.

We're there any starving people while these great cathedrals were built? As usual, even in religion, it's more important to erect a gigantic building rather than be able to feed all of the hungry, or for that matter provide health care for all the people.

What would Jesus say?
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:51 am
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
Jesus said, "Be ready,
For you know not the hour in which I come."
Jesus said, "Be ready,
For you know not the hour in which I come."
He said, "He who is not for Me is against Me,"
Just so you know where He's coming from.

Bob Dylan Gonna Change My Way of Thinkin'.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:59 am
@Lightwizard,
I don't suppose for a moment LW that you have the education to understand that the acheivements of which you speak, having read about them someplace, are derived from the building of Gothic cathedrals and the contemplation of the infinite God.

It's as if you are composing a dissertation upon the choices of ice-cream you have as if refrigeration had no input.

Or riding up a mountain in a chair lift with no thought of the guys who erected it.
0 Replies