Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 11:32 am
@wandeljw,
The judgmental prejudice between religions is a need for classes on religions, period. There are bible studies in every Christian church which are, of course, elective but sometime mandated by fundamentalist parents. I was carted off to bible studies by my Grandmother on my mother's side, while on my father's side, she just wanted to talk about the last roller derby match (I'm kidding there, of course, she had many fine attributes and was a much better communicator besides being much more fun to visit). I lasted about three or four classes and even at that age, quickly saw the standard mythology and gaping holes in the philosophy. I still loved my church devoted Grandmother and realized her need for religion stemmed from several failed marriages.

These religious zealots are like a swarm of wasps (!) deflected from stinging from one direction so keep trying from every direction where they sense an opening.
spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 01:55 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Anyone else ready to join the race?

Anybody would if they had financial backing. What the question should be is "is anybody willing to fund a candidate?"

Maybe Rebecca, in her righteousness, doesn't know that words don't count against a big pot. Will the ACLU not ante up and run a candidate?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:02 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
These religious zealots are like a swarm of wasps (!) deflected from stinging from one direction so keep trying from every direction where they sense an opening.

That's what they are evolved to do isn't it? Are you a Darwinian or not LW. You seem to want to promote the laws of might is right but not play by them.

effemm got stung the other week taking on some wasps. Did himself an injury, we were told, in escaping from them.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:21 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
These religious zealots are like a swarm of wasps (!)

Maybe those are the same ones who stung FarmerMan and made him fall off that ladder and his toe.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:33 am
@rosborne979,
Another silly and outdated post by ros. He can't even spell effemm's name properly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:18 am
@rosborne979,
FM fell off the ladder, then his toe? That's like the Magic Bullet. However, I would be more suspicious of WASP's who embody god's power and could make him fall of that ladder and then off his toe.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:39 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
FM fell off the ladder, then his toe? That's like the Magic Bullet. However, I would be more suspicious of WASP's who embody god's power and could make him fall of that ladder and then off his toe.

Actually I meant he "hurt" his toe, but now I have this image of him landing like a ballerina on one toe... and then falling over.
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:49 am
@rosborne979,
Well and good to mention the ladder incident in good spirit but that his when he was injured so we're on the edge of dark humor. It makes me feel lucky getting up on extremely high ladders and scaffolds at lighting design job I've done because the installer had made a mistake.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:48 am
Quote:
Must science declare a holy war on religion?
(By Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum, Opinion Essay, Los Angeles Times, August 11, 2009)

This fall, evolutionary biologist and bestselling author Richard Dawkins -- most recently famous for his public exhortation to atheism, "The God Delusion" -- returns to writing about science. Dawkins' new book, "The Greatest Show on Earth," will inform and regale us with the stunning "evidence for evolution," as the subtitle says. It will surely be an impressive display, as Dawkins excels at making the case for evolution. But it's also fair to ask: Who in the United States will read Dawkins' new book (or ones like it) and have any sort of epiphany, or change his or her mind?

Surely not those who need it most: America's anti-evolutionists. These religious adherents often view science itself as an assault on their faith and doggedly refuse to accept evolution because they fear it so utterly denies God that it will lead them, and their children, straight into a world of moral depravity and meaninglessness. An in-your-face atheist touting evolution, like Dawkins, is probably the last messenger they'll heed.

Dawkins will, however, be championed by many scientists, especially the most secular -- those who were galvanized by "The God Delusion" and inspired by it to take a newly confrontational approach toward America's religious majority. They will help ensure Dawkins another literary success. It's certainly valuable to have the case for evolution articulated prominently and often, but what this unending polarization around evolution and religion does for the standing of science in the U.S. is a very different matter.

It often appears as though Dawkins and his followers -- often dubbed the New Atheists, though some object to the term -- want to change the country's science community in a lasting way. They'd have scientists and defenders of reason be far more confrontational and blunt: No more coddling the faithful, no tolerating nonscientific beliefs. Scientific institutions, in their view, ought to stop putting out politic PR about science and religion being compatible.

The New Atheists win the battle easily on the Internet. Their most prominent blogger, the University of Minnesota biologist P.Z. Myers, runs what is probably the Web's most popular science blog, Pharyngula, where he and his readers attack and belittle religious believers, sometimes using highly abrasive language. Or as Myers put it to fanatical Catholics at one point: "Don't confuse the fact that I find you and your church petty, foolish, twisted and hateful to be a testimonial to the existence of your petty, foolish, twisted, hateful god."

More moderate scientists, however -- let us call them the accommodationists -- still dominate the hallowed institutions of American science. Personally, these scientists may be atheists, agnostics or believers; whatever their views on the relationship between science and religion, politically, spiritually and practically they see no need to fight over it.

Thus the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science and the National Academy of Sciences take the stance that science and religion can be perfectly compatible -- and are regularly blasted for it by the New Atheists. Or as the National Academy of Sciences put it in a recent volume on evolution and creationism: "Today, many religious denominations accept that biological evolution has produced the diversity of living things over billions of years of Earth's history. ... Religious denominations that do not accept the occurrence of evolution tend to be those that believe in strictly literal interpretations of religious texts."

A smaller but highly regarded nonprofit organization called the National Center for Science Education has drawn at least as much of the New Atheists' ire, however. Based in Oakland, the center is the leading organization that promotes and defends the teaching of evolution in school districts across the country.

In this endeavor, it has, of necessity, made frequent alliances with religious believers who also support the teaching of evolution, seeking to forge a broad coalition capable of beating back the advances of fundamentalists who want to weaken textbooks or science standards. In the famous 2005 Dover, Pa., evolution trial, for instance, the NCSE contributed scientific advice to a legal team that put a theologian and a Catholic biologist on the stand.

Long under fire from the religious right, the NCSE now must protect its other flank from the New Atheist wing of science. The atheist biologist Jerry Coyne of the University of Chicago, for instance, has drawn much attention by assaulting the center's Faith Project, which seeks to spread awareness that between creationism on the one hand and the new atheism on the other lie many more moderate positions.

In this, Coyne is once again following the lead of Dawkins, who in "The God Delusion" denounces the NCSE as part of the "Neville Chamberlain school of evolutionists," those equivocators who defend the science but refuse to engage with what the New Atheists perceive as the real root of the problem -- namely, religious belief.

It all might sound like a petty internecine squabble, but the stakes are very high. The United States does not boast a very healthy relationship between its scientific community and its citizenry. The statistics on public scientific illiteracy are notorious -- and they're at their worst on contentious, politicized issues such as climate change and the teaching of evolution. About 46% of Americans in polls agree with this stunning statement: "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so."

In this context, the New Atheists have chosen their course: confrontation. And groups like the NCSE have chosen the opposite route: Work with all who support the teaching of evolution regardless of their beliefs, and attempt to sway those who are uncertain but perhaps convincible.

Despite the resultant bitterness, however, there is at least one figure both sides respect -- the man who started it all: Charles Darwin. What would he have done in this situation?

It turns out that late in life, when an atheist author asked permission to dedicate a book to Darwin, the great scientist wrote back his apologies and declined. For as Darwin put it, "Though I am a strong advocate for free thought on all subjects, yet it appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity & theism produce hardly any effect on the public; & freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follows from the advance of science."

Darwin and Dawkins differ by much more than a few letters, then -- something the New Atheists ought to deeply consider.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:54 am
@Lightwizard,
If you take the trouble to remonstrate at me for an itsy-bitsy error such as spelling " atheism" incorrectly due to be unable to see the keyboard or the post properly what on earth do you say to incompetent installers when they cause you to have to climb extremely high ladders and scaffolds at lighting design jobs and provide an excuse to inform us all that heights don't frighten you which decodes in pub talk to a claim to be an alpha male in the courage department and earning a decent screw.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Dawkins will, however, be championed by many scientists, especially the most secular -- those who were galvanized by "The God Delusion" and inspired by it to take a newly confrontational approach toward America's religious majority.

Perhaps they were galvanized by pretending to dare to embrace enthusiastically a world of moral depravity and meaninglessness. Like the Divine Marquis by the side of whom they are feather dusters. A bit like people who will eat snot for a dare or hold their hand over a candle flame. Or who fart loudly in company. Libertines so to speak at the beta minus level. Peyton Place depravity.

There is no evidence that these (how)"many" scientists were galvanised by reading such a book. It is an assertion to say so. It is even insulting.

They are much more likely to have been galvanized by seeking to be different from the common man and the book merely provided them with the words to facilitate the strategy slightly more effectively than they had previously been able to manage. In Mr Dawkins's case to make some more money. Which is understanable. His "alimony" book.

Are we being told that all this Dawkins mania and all this NSCE stuff are at daggers drawn and calling each other names. They have both been quoted on these threads supporting the anti-ID position. Now, as I predicted, the alliance is not so strong as we have been led to think.

My impression is that anti-IDers on here are bang at it New Atheists.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:48 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Quote:
Must science declare a holy war on religion?
(By Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum, Opinion Essay, Los Angeles Times, August 11, 2009)

In this, Coyne is once again following the lead of Dawkins, who in "The God Delusion" denounces the NCSE as part of the "Neville Chamberlain school of evolutionists," those equivocators who defend the science but refuse to engage with what the New Atheists perceive as the real root of the problem -- namely, religious belief.

"Religious Belief" is a pretty big fight to pick. I'm not sure that's wise.

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:57 am
@rosborne979,
Coyne's arguments are well reasoned and well presented . DAwkins just appears to wanna pick a bully brawl.

Thats just my opinion.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:07 am
@farmerman,
He wants to sell some more books effemm. Maybe the L.A. Times has a connection to his publisher or something.

It's about selling books. And speaking tours. And guest appearences. And rent-a-quote.

The thing is is that Mr Dawkins is young enough and dapper enough to play himself in the movie The Dawkin's Delusion. And for the right money, being an atheist and, as such, having no moral scruples, I think he would take the part.

Perhaps a more creative A2Ker than my self will sketch out the scenario for the renunciation and repentence scene with which a movie with that title would logically have to end.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Coyne's arguments are well reasoned and well presented . DAwkins just appears to wanna pick a bully brawl.

It's good theater (or good "media" as the case may be).
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:46 am
Quote:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/.a/6a00d83451b46269e20120a53cc28e970c-800wi

Survey: School instruction on human evolution 'abysmal'
(By Dan Vergano, USA Today, August 11, 2009)

More state school standards include evolution, finds a nationwide report card, but coverage of human evolution is "abysmal."

Nationwide, 40 states receive passing grades, compared to 31 in 2000, finds the Evolution Outreach & Education journal report led by Louise Mead of the National Center for Science Education in Berkeley, Calif. But only 7 states adequately cover human evolution, the survey finds.

"State science standards chart the course for science education in America, affecting curriculum, textbook adoptions, and ultimately what teachers are -- and aren't -- allowed to teach," says Mead, in a statement.

"Unfortunately, even if state science standards accurately reflect the central role of evolution in biology, there is no guarantee that evolution will be taught effectively," says the study, noting surveys showing significant numbers of biology teachers prefer creationism.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:25 am
@wandeljw,
Some science teachers have a Monkey Trial complex and they don't want to be trapped in either camp. This reveals there are more of those who cower from the subject than one would realize.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:38 am
@Lightwizard,
Having taught many high school earth science teachers in a series of "Rush job" NSF summer programs involving the rudiments of earth stratigraphy and team teaching with the bio department which covered evolution for teachers, I was many times amazed at the ignorance that SCIENCE teachers and SCIENCE DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATORS display about SCIENCE. We had to cover rudiments of physics and chemistry in the stratigraphy sections and the teachers , although educable about the Wentworth scales and sediment dynamics, as well as surface chemistry reactions, THEY HAD NO BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF CONCEPTS LIKE ""G" or "pH" or "terminal velocity" etc.

Most of the teachers would cover their ignorance with a faint peevishness and would settle into some irrelevant dsicourses about unrelated topics (Sound familiar)
Theyd argue about the simplistic science we were teaching and how the real cutting edge s are in plate tectonics (About which they knew little also).

Ive given up even helping out and volunteering anymore. Im too old to try to "reach" Vogon teachers. Im hoping that the newere generations (in PA as of 2000,they now require at least a MINOR in a science in order to teach it) duhhhhhh.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:55 am
@farmerman,
Of course, it's been years since I've been in public school classes, to say the least. I remember the ineptness of my high school science teachers especially -- the extent of their teaching didn't extend much beyond dissecting a frog or mixing strange chemicals together to get foam. I was too empathetic to cause embarrassment to these science dolts. Besides, I did want to get an A! It's no wonder to me our educational system is so poorly rated internationally. It wasn't until university and my teacher in Paleontology 1 that I realized how dumbed-down the science was in high school. My American history teacher at UCLA told the class to forget the "history" they learned in high school. I really doubt that it has changed -- my niece has to teach some science in grade school and consistently asks me for books from my library or DVD's like the Hubble telescope survey.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 09:24 am
@wandeljw,
It's interesting that a lot of the states which received an "A" are states where there have been recent challenges to the basic science curriculum by creationism (or it's cloaked counterpart, ID).