Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 05:28 am
@spendius,
You need to look in the mirror every morning before posting, dude.
spendius

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:21 am
@edgarblythe,
The only time I use a mirror is when I trim my beard.

You need to answer my posts rather than blurting out some cliched insult. Scientists must be appalled at you defending them in that way.

Are you trying to write Pinteresque scripts?

You need to do some serious reading.

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:21 pm
Quote:
Why Evolution is True
(Book Review by P.Z. Myers, ScienceBlogs.com, October 13, 2008)

I hope Jerry Coyne will forgive me that my frequent thought as I was reading his new book, Why Evolution Is True was, "Wow, this sure is easier to read than that other book." That other book, of course, is Coyne and Orr's comprehensive text on Speciation, which is a technical and detailed survey of the subject in the title, and that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to anyone who wasn't at least a graduate student in biology. We all have our impressions colored by prior expectations, you know, and Jerry Coyne is that high-powered ecology and evolution guy at the University of Chicago whose papers I've read.

The new book is simple to summarize: just read the title. It's aimed at a lay audience and answers the question of why biologists are so darned confident about the theory of evolution by going through a strong subset of the evidence. It begins with a discussion of what evolution is, then each subsequent chapter is organized around a class of evidence: fossils, embryology and historical accidents, biogeography, natural selection, sexual selection, speciation, and human evolution. If you want a straightforward primer in the experiments and observations that have made evolution the foundational principle of modern biology, this is the book for you.

Why Evolution is True makes an almost entirely positive case for evolution; it has an appropriate perspective on the current American conflict between science and religious fundamentalism that avoids dwelling on creationist nonsense, but still acknowledges where common misconceptions occur and where creationist PR, such as the Intelligent Design creationism fad, has raised stock objections. It's a good strategy " the structure of this book is not dictated by creationist absurdities, but by good science, and creationism is simply noted where necessary and swatted down efficiently. It's a more powerful tool for it, too " creationists can lie faster than anyone can rebut them, so the best strategy is to focus on the real evidence and force critics to address it directly.

You all really ought to pick up a copy of this book if you don't already have a sound understanding of the basic lines of evidence for evolution (or, if you do, you could always get Speciation to get a little more depth). I recommend it unreservedly. Oh, except for one little reservation: it won't be available until January. Go ahead and put it on your Amazon pre-order list, then.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:28 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Quote:
Why Evolution is True
(Book Review by P.Z. Myers, ScienceBlogs.com, October 13, 2008)

Co-Authored by GungaSnake, who is secretly a Phd Biology professor from Cornell who just likes to fool people with his outlandish objections to Evolution.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@spendius,
You are only here to needle, spendi. Nobody takes your questions seriously enough to asnswer them.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:50 pm
@wandeljw,
I want that book, wandeljw.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I keep forgetting that hes(spendi) still on here somewhere. I only suppose its down around the baseboards. I like your comment,but having made the commitment to ignore, I find it rather pleasant to be present in this topic again.

Jerry Coyne, in his contribution "Intelligent Design, the religion that dare not speak its name", had some small possible errors that were a source of debate among the molecular biologists and geneticists. The concept of "genes first" had been put to bed as a concept that most scientists until recently rejected . However, the areas in which adaptation isnt necessarily the driver, Specifically where elements of punctuated equilibrium may be in effect, may be "genes first" rather than adaptive selection IS a real thing. That means that theremay be several modes of triggering the evolutionary changes and driving speciation and formation of higher taxa.

I dont know **** about the many modes of selection and , really, Ihave no dog in the fight. I just like to see what the smart money is saying..
Coyne,unlike Gould, has always been a joy to read if its real information one seeks. Also Sean Carroll.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
You are only here to needle, spendi. Nobody takes your questions seriously enough to asnswer them.

How very convenient.

Putting me on Ignore and providing a constant stream of responses of that nature, which would get anybody laughed at where nappies are no longer required, just shows how rattled you are.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:50 pm
@spendius,
Why do hecklers always accuse their targets of being rattled? Is it supposed to impart some advantage over the target in some way? I've noticed that the more fundamentalist the mind, the more apt posters are to make such a remark.
spendius

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 05:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
You sound rattled. Your responses are of that type that the rattled always and everywhere trot out. Just have a look at them Ed. They are all meaningless. Just blurts. Harrumphs.

You haven't put one argument forward that I know of. What's up with saying you're rattled when you obviously are. And you're not alone.

Would you like me to argue the Darwinian, materialist, atheistic, scientific point of view? I can do. You lot can't.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 05:49 pm
@spendius,
Spendi, my friend, your audience seems to be shrinking...

Maybe a nice stout is in order, eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:52 pm
@spendius,
I log into this thread to read and learn from the big kids. I just toss a few grapeshots your way to hear your chains rattle.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Would you like me to argue the Darwinian, materialist, atheistic, scientific point of view? I can do. You lot can't.

I overlooked this line before. You only think you can. You have already driven away any audience for whatever you offer anyway.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 08:56 am
TEXAS UPDATE
Quote:
Texas State Board of Education Puts Strident Anti-Evolution Critics on Science Standards Review Panel
(Texas Freedom Network Press Release, October 15, 2008)

Texas Freedom Network President Kathy Miller today sharply criticized the inclusion of three strident evolution opponents, including two authors of an anti-evolution textbook, on a panel that will review proposed new science curriculum standards for Texas public schools. The inclusion of the two textbook authors raises serious questions about conflicts of interest and whether political agendas took priority over giving Texas students a 21st-century science education, Miller said.

“It’s simply stunning that any state board members would even consider appointing authors of an anti-evolution textbook to a panel of scientists,” she said. “Are they coming here to help write good science standards or to drum up a market for their lousy textbook?”

The textbook, Explore Evolution, is intended for secondary schools and colleges, according to its U.S. distributor, the anti-evolution Discovery Institute in Seattle. Because of that, the State Board of Education could consider it for the state’s approved list of science textbooks in 2011.

The two authors are Stephen Meyer, who is vice president of the Discovery Institute, and Ralph Seelke, a professor of the department of biology and earth sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Superior. A third panel member, Charles Garner, is a professor of chemistry at Baylor University in Waco.

All three are supporters of the anti-evolution concept “intelligent design”/creationism and have signed the Discovery Institute’s “Dissent from Darwinism” statement. In addition to their textbook, Meyer and Seelke testified in 2005 against evolution in hearings called by religious conservatives who controlled the Kansas State Board of Education.

Texas state board members nominated all six panelists. The three other members of the review panel are Texas scientists with long, distinguished resumes:
· David Hillis, professor of integrative biology and director of the Center of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics at the University of Texas at Austin;
· Ronald K. Wetherington, professor of anthropology at Southern Methodist University and director of the Center for Teaching Excellence
· Gerald Skoog, professor and dean emeritus of the College of Education at Texas Tech and co-director of the Center for Integration of Science Education and Research

A number of respected Texas scientists contacted TFN to say that they had asked state board members to serve on the review panel, Miller said. None appear to have been named to the panel.

“Texas universities boast some of the leading scientists in the world,” Miller said. “It’s appalling that some state board members turned to out-of-state ideologues to decide whether Texas kids get a 21st-century science education.”
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@wandeljw,
we must buy our tickets for another ride into the fantasy world of Idjicy. Seelke is a certifiable wacko and, although not completely stupid, he can achieve great things for Disco Inst.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman,
Is Texas the first state to actually appoint members of the Discovery Institute as science curriculum advisors? I have never heard of this before.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:51 am
@wandeljw,
ditto. I am amazed at how this stuff even gets nconsidered, let alone appointed. Apparently there is no concern for how this makes Texas secondary schools look. Some of the best colleges for oil field geo and engineering are in the state. I wonder whether Tulane will now benefit from this return to the whacky side of the street.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
Spendi, my friend, your audience seems to be shrinking...

And what am I supposed to do about that?

Maybe your's is too. I haven't checked it. It surprises me that you have checked mine.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:58 am
From the "And now you know. . ." feechewer in the Sunday Times-

Quote:
Why women's voices are sometimes squeaky. Greg Bryant, a psychologist, has discovered that, just like baboons, women advertise their fertility with a range of signals. These include speaking at a higher pitch around the time of ovulation, because men find it a turn-on.

Writing in the journal Biology Letters, Bryant describes how he and a colleague recorded 69 young women speaking at different times during their cycle. Two days before ovulation,the women's voices rose a semi-tone. "The closer the women get to ovulation, the greater the increase in their pitch," said Bryant. "A baboon's butt going red. . . is a definite sign of high fertility. This is something more subtle."

(ST punctuation.)

Whether he checked on baboon's voices or women's butts he doesn't say but one might have thought a scientist ought to have done if he wished to prove that we are descended from apes or other seasonal copulators.

After all, it is the natural receptivity of females, rather than the artificially conditioned receptivity we all know and love, that is the power source of evolution.

I trust these matters, which can be, and have been, imaginatively expanded, are to become a part of the scientific approach to biology.

Professor Greer is of the view that copulation relying on the artificially conditioned receptivity is rape from an intellectual point of view. I know of no respectable argument to dispute that with her.

The widespread sale of scented lubricating gels, the presence of lingerie shops in our midst, the hypnotic effect of shiny objects and many other phenomena do seem to provide evidence for her contention. Many feminists hold the same opinion.

effemm-- what amazes me is that a man of experience and renown can express himself "amazed" at something that is happening in the world and thinks he can dismiss it with a cheap jibe. One might say that the jibes are similar to prayers and incantations intended to drive away evil spirits from consciousness.

Meanwhile down in Texas...

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 04:59 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Texas Freedom Network President Kathy Miller today sharply criticized the inclusion of three strident evolution opponents, including two authors of an anti-evolution textbook, on a panel that will review proposed new science curriculum standards for Texas public schools. The inclusion of the two textbook authors raises serious questions about conflicts of interest and whether political agendas took priority over giving Texas students a 21st-century science education, Miller said.

These guys wrote a textbook, and they are asked to sit on a review board for selecting which books Texas will use? Even putting aside the ideologies involved this seems ridiculous on a purely "conflict of interest" basis.