So I just joined Facebook....

dagmaraka

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 04:35 am
@ossobuco,
osso, you can always delete your account if you don't like it. not that you absolutely have to try facebook, just if you're curious, there is that option.
jespah

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 06:00 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You must use your real name to join...

Nope. My Cousin C___ is just listed as that: Cousin C___. She has a last name, last I checked.
ehBeth

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

You must use your real name to join...

Nope. My Cousin C___ is just listed as that: Cousin C___. She has a last name, last I checked.

of course, if you've joined Facebook to network with people outside of your family, that's not too effective.

it's an interesting site. people use it for so many different purposes. I have a small group of FB friends who all share the same last name on one set of their FB accounts - because it reflects a shared interest, and they're using FB to network around that shared interest. They've got other accounts under their real names as well as their business names. I've got one friend who has a Toronto network name account, Raleigh-Durham network name account, real name account and professional/business name account.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:34 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
You must use your real name to join.

Not the case, although most seem to.

Thanks for the correction. I erred in the word must. Should more accurately reflects the truth. And, you are right. Most do. Otherwise, why join.
dagmaraka

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:59 am
@Intrepid,
People from my former theatre group tend to have 2 accounts - well those that also have real jobs outside the theatre -- the drag character name and the real name account. kinda makes sense, you don't want your clients to see you performing silly comedies in drag...and vice versa, you don't want to reveal all too much about your daily life to your audience.

but for regular people like me...yes, i don't see the point of joining under anything other by my real name.
Intrepid

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@dagmaraka,
We should be friends

Wink
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:25 pm
If anyone wants to be my friend on FB send me a PM! I'm willing to let you guys see all the pictures of me disrobed, drunk and doing blow off of a male stripper's ass.

Just kidding... the stripper was doing coke off my ass. Why did I bring a camera to that party...?

T
K
O
ossobuco

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:55 pm
@dagmaraka,
Right, Dag. And I didn't mean to sound quite so annoyed about the friends thing, just that I'm not sure I want to get into controlling that access carefully, and wouldn't want not to control it.
dagmaraka

Wed 18 Mar, 2009 01:14 am
@ossobuco,
I understand. We are all different. I never really cared much about the control - I don't really have much that I care to hide, don't give a hoot who sees or doesn't see my photos (up to them if they're interested and have that kinda time on their hands, silly fools, heh) or knows where I am... I found that people mostly leave you alone - though there have been a few I have deleted. And a number I declined to "befriend". But mostly I just don't care== not everyone does not care though and then it's more work.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 18 Mar, 2009 05:10 am
@Diest TKO,
20 years from now, when youve activated a "govt clearance" status, Im sure the FBI people in charge of your account will love all the activity you give em . Im paranoid , even though Im in the throes of retirement decisions right now.
dagmaraka

Wed 18 Mar, 2009 01:44 pm
@farmerman,
hmm. fbi will take interest in me only if i'm internationally reknown or active- remember i'm not a u.s. citizen.

plus, let them earn their money. there's nothing on facebook that they don't have access to already anyway. if they want to sift through my facebook, they can be my guests. i'd consider them silly waste-of-timers, at least in my case.
ehBeth

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 07:34 pm
@dagmaraka,
today's fb smile

Set found a wallet on the Danforth today while he was out walking the dogs. Tried to drop it into a bank dropbox, but didn't have a key. Brought the wallet home. I tried to Canada411 a phone number for the wallet owner, based on the driver's license. No luck.

Facebook !!

Found her. Sent her a note. Got a note back an hour and a bit later (she'd been searching her house and cancelling her credit cards). I just got back from driving the wallet back to the owner. She's home with a newborn - the wallet probably fell out of the diaper bag while they were getting some fresh air.

Told her I'd tried Canada411 - wouldn't work as the number's in hubby's name.

fb was a good thing for one person today.
Diest TKO

Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Super cool story ehbeth!

T
K
O
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:29 am
@ehBeth,
Great story. Not to mention the honesty of you and Setana. Did he get the cash first? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:58 am
@ehBeth,
Bravo! Both the honesty part and the ingenuity part (and the driving it over to her part to boot).
DrewDad

Tue 31 Mar, 2009 09:35 pm
@sozobe,
Facebook's Seder.
ossobuco

Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:59 pm
@dagmaraka,
That's all very nice re your openness, Dag. I'm pretty open too.

I'm not sure I want to be out there or be square for hundreds of past design clients who now may or may not like their greater landscape. I've never been sued and don't want to be. Of course I can man-up, but I don't like thinking about the odd wacko.

Personally, I've not dealt with one of those, but a lot of people in my field have. There are oft' two sides to stories, but sometimes lawsuits are off the wall.
I've not any unhappy clients that I am aware of, breathes in and out, but I have had friends caught up in imbecility, which they won, but took up a lot of their life.

What has that to do with Facebook besides yes or no, I'm not sure.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 1 Apr, 2009 12:45 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

haha, that was good.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Thu 21 May, 2009 04:04 pm
Quote:
I don't really have much that I care to hide, don't give a hoot who sees or doesn't see my photos (up to them if they're interested and have that kinda time on their hands, silly fools, heh) or knows where I am...

Agreed! I think my life is really rather dull. If people want to look at my twenty-gazillion photos/videos of my pets, well, that's fine with me!

Anyone from A2K who wants to "friend" me (look, a verb!) on Facebook, just "PM" me (another verb!).

And yes, there are many photos there of my actual FACE and BODY! OMG! What the heck, who really has that kinda time anyway; not to mention, who really CARES?

Oh (nattering now) I've found Facebook to be a great way to catch up with many long-lost friends and relatives. Jeez, who knew I had so many freakin' cousins, anyway?
0 Replies

roger

Thu 21 May, 2009 04:11 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

hmm. fbi will take interest in me only if i'm internationally reknown or active- remember i'm not a u.s. citizen.

Now, that's just unamerican. They are interested in unamerican activities. I remember Al Capp getting a lot of mileage out of the House Committee on Unamerican Activities investigating unamerican activities in Paris.