So I just joined Facebook....

Swimpy

Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:54 pm
@dagmaraka,
Thanks, Dag and Buttrfly. It was just letting me search for people in my contacts list or wh went to my high school or college. I'll give your tips a try.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:02 pm
Someone started a group for people who went to my elementary school - very funny!
roger

Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:05 pm
@Swimpy,
And now "friend" has become a verb.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:36 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Someone started a group for people who went to my elementary school - very funny!

I just found that there is a group for my school too. That was 50 years ago and I found that a girl (my first kiss) from grade 3 is also a member. Smile
jespah

Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:52 am
@Intrepid,
Oooh.

RP's elementary (to be fair, it went up to 8th grade) is there. Haven't checked for my own.

One thing re maiden names or second marriage names. I've seen some women use was, e. g. Susan Smith was Jones. That could be another way to search for someone.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:18 pm
Here's an amusing article from Time:
Why Facebook Is for Old Fogies

Lev Grossman describes why Facebook, despite being invented by someone who was a college student in 2004, actually makes more sense for geezers. Some choice excerpts:

Quote:
Facebook is about finding people you've lost track of. And, son, we've lost track of more people than you've ever met. Remember who you went to prom with junior year? See, we don't. We've gone through multiple schools, jobs and marriages. Each one of those came with a complete cast of characters, most of whom we have forgotten existed.

Quote:
We're no longer bitter about high school. You're probably still hung up on any number of petty slights, but when that person who used to call us that thing we're not going to mention here, because it really stuck, asks us to be friends on Facebook, we happily friend that person. Because we're all grown up now. We're bigger than that. Or some of us are, anyway.

Quote:
Facebook isn't just a social network; it's a business network. And unlike, say, college students, we actually have jobs. What's the point of networking with people who can't hire you? Not that we'd want to work with anyone your age anyway. Given the recession " and the amount of time we spend on Facebook " a bunch of hungry, motivated young guns is the last thing we need around here.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:54 pm

be careful what you say on FB...

Facebook post gets worker fired

A Facebook post criticizing his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles, cost a stadium operations worker his job, according to a story in Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Dan Leone, who the Inquirer said worked as a west gate chief, was unhappy the team let Brian Dawkins sign with the Denver Broncos in free agency. According to the newspaper, Leone posted the following on his Facebook page: "Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver ... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!"

Despite deleting the comment, Leone told the Inquirer the Eagles fired him by phone days later.

"I shouldn't have put it up there," Leone said, according to the Inquirer. "I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn't offend any one person or target a specific individual. I was just upset that we lost such a great guy. Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965039
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:07 pm
I joined to keep in touch with my classmates -- and, now, my colleagues -- as vet school was finishing. And it's very effective for that, on a friendly professional sort of basis. You know where people are, what sort of work they're doing, etc.

Have also ended up in touch with a few people from deeper in my past, especially high school, which is kind of interesting. Some people lead surprisingly interesting lives. A couple lead surprisingly uninteresting lives.

I don't find it to be a very effective time-waster, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:58 pm
CAn you keep in touch with people "on the other side"?

This'd be a great scam for seances.FAcebook for the recently deceased.
littlek

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:00 pm
I was recently in touch with elementary and college friends. I can also keep tabs on my teenage cousins and their silly love lives.
sozobe

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:09 pm
@littlek,
Teenage cousins are fun.

Except when they overshare. A few times I've come *this close* to writing on their wall saying something like ANYONE CAN SEE THIS, YOU KNOW?! Maybe I'll say something when I see 'em in person.
caribou

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:21 pm
@sozobe,
I think some people need to be reminded that it's like they are shouting in the middle of a crowded room.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:42 pm
@sozobe,
Ha! I just told their dad. Heeheehee...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

CAn you keep in touch with people "on the other side"?

This'd be a great scam for seances.FAcebook for the recently deceased.

It's actually really sad. A friend of mine Alex killed himself last year and sometimes when I'm on a page of one of our mutual friends, his profile pic will appear on the left toolbar. Occasionally, I'll go to his page. I'll see that people will post messages of memories they have of him.

I can even read things he wrote to people days before he committed suicide. Very sad.

T
K
O
Intrepid

Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:18 pm
@Diest TKO,
I am sorry to read this and the pain that it causes you. I hope that you can eventually find peace in the loss of your friend.
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:20 pm
So is this the kind of thing that you use your real name as your login? Can you section your profile or whatever it is off so that have certain things that are only accessible to certain people (like resumes, work samples, etc., for business people) and certain things only available to others, (like personal writing projects or highly offensive jokes for friends)?

What the hell IS it?
DrewDad

Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:06 pm
@kickycan,
I use my real name. You can set the permissions on your profile to limit who has access. (Friends, friends of friends, the whole world)

I figure that everything will become generally available eventually, so I'm careful about what I post. I avoid anything too controversial, like religion or politics.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:09 am
@kickycan,
They just changed the look of facebook again. Permissions can be set so that certain people cannot see certain things.

You must use your real name to join.

Facebook was originally started by young people, for young people. It has expanded way beyond this and millions are now using it.

For this reason, people should really consider business oriented users. Bosses, clients etc. who could see everything that you post and what your friends posts. Embarrassment might be the least of possible outcomes.

Sometimes, it can be an embarrassment when others read what your "friends" or family write.

Used with common sense, it should be fine. A great way to keep up with the activities of friends.
Ticomaya

Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:51 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
You must use your real name to join.

Not the case, although most seem to.
ossobuco

Sat 14 Mar, 2009 10:33 pm
I'm working on thinking about it.

Even my ex emailed me to sign up. I'm ms. wary, the whole friends thing borders on annoying and invasive.