Do you read at work?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:18 pm
Precisely do you read in the bathroom at work?

I sometimes see (typically men) coming from the bathroom with a newspaper or a magazine.

Honestly it seems odd to me - I don't even like the at home toliet reading, but can deal with. But at work in a stall next to co-workers? Isn't much too personal?

Rockhead

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
Men are born with an octo-rectal nerve that women don't have.

Reading material is the precursor for the process...
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Once at a previous job, I go into the ladies and go about my business. Some what quickly because honestly it isn't a place I enjoy hanging around in. Suddenly I hear a noise that turns my blood to ice. The sound of a newspaper page turning. I am horrified! Did I accidently walk into the wrong bathroom? But no - it is the women's room. Did a man accidently walk into the ladies room?

No, sadly it was a woman. Explain that?!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
reading's ok, but what's up with talking on cell phones in the stall?
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
I was in the ladies room at a store and this woman was on the phone in the stall. The person she was talking to had to hear toliets flushing. And then you are touching the phone while peeing and perhaps other things - do you think these people clean their phones afterwards?

Can't wait 5 minutes to talk to someone?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:04 pm
@Region Philbis,
Cell phones in the toilet. Don't get me started.

I always read in the bathroom at home, even if it only takes me a minute or 2 to complete my mission. I'm bored just sitting there. Don't do it at work, it'd be embarrassing to walk out of the womens room holding a copy of Prout's Remembrance of Things Past Vol. V.

But, when I do have to make one of those extended visits while on the job, I'm so bored that if I have my handbag with me I'll rummage through it looking for anything to read. I've read the receipt from a Subway Sandwich shop4 times in a row, the back of a package of mascara, and the results of my last mammagram, just to have something to do.

linkat, why does it horrify you?

George

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:12 pm
I was going to make an awful post about sudoku puzzles and constipation
and working it out with a pencil, but I decided against it.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:22 pm
There is even a tradition among men to leave their newspapers in the stall so that the next man can read it. Are women also this thoughtful?
wandeljw

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:26 pm
chai wrote:
Don't do it at work, it'd be embarrassing to walk out of the womens room holding a copy of Proust's Remembrance of Things Past Vol. V.

The official bathroom reading edition is titled "Remembrance of Things Passed".
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:41 pm
@chai2,
I guess it is really not some where I want to hang out. It is too personal and the stall walls really don't give me the privacy I need.

Reading and touching stuff before I wash my hands grosses me out too.

Yes I am a bit anal. Hee hee.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

reading's ok, but what's up with talking on cell phones in the stall?

Yeah, that creeps me out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:45 pm
@wandeljw,
Ewwww! And to think no one has washed his hands yet! And you touch the vile thing?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:45 pm
@George,
George wrote:

I was going to make an awful post about sudoku puzzles and constipation
and working it out with a pencil, but I decided against it.

I will pass by an equally awful (and tasteless, [thank god]) pun about arithmetic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:46 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

There is even a tradition among men to leave their newspapers in the stall so that the next man can read it.

I didn't think that was what the paper was for....
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

There is even a tradition among men to leave their newspapers in the stall so that the next man can read it.

I didn't think that was what the paper was for....

Well THAT paper with THE photos it is here ...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Do you read at work?

I work mostly from home, so I think I'm exempt.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:50 pm
@Linkat,
wandeljw wrote:
There is even a tradition among men to leave their newspapers in the stall so that the next man can read it. Are women also this thoughtful?

Linkat wrote:
Ewwww! And to think no one has washed his hands yet! And you touch the vile thing?

Apparently you are trying to tell me that women are not willing to share reading material the way that men do. Smile
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 04:42 pm
@wandeljw,
things passed.

good one.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:22 pm
@George,
We appreciate that Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:49 pm
I only cried once in front of others at work (start of gulf war), but did use the bathroom once in a while when I felt like I might cry over some issue or other. A quick look in the mirror and girding of courage.. (my italian teacher used to say 'coraggio!!!' to wavering students.)

In my so-called master bath - shower drain messed up, ugly assed mirror and cabinets, tiny door with wiring right next to it if I ever wanted to remove either of those - I have a selection of poetry and home design mags. Not because I read on the toilet or making my toilette, but because I hate to be far from reading matter, addict that I am.
0 Replies