Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:41 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Shocked

(storm warning...)
dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
How about taking responsibility for your own decisions. Another known trait Americans are not too good at. Its always someone elses fault.

If you choose to live in a natural disaster prone area? flood zone? earthquake prone area? why do you expect a bail out?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:52 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Hi Bill,

What do I suggest?

Not a "why does the government put up with this, let's just move everybody" attitude that's for friggin' sure!

First, New Orleans has existed as a city for over 400 years. For someone to state that "people shouldn't live there" when people have lived there for hundreds of years is simply bullshit.

The wetlands of the delta have eroded to a point where the natural barrier to Gulf storms has been eliminated by the very same government that Osso is suggesting should simply MOVE MUCH OF THE CITY?????

When was the last time you were in New Orleans, osso? Bill? beth?

do any of you know people who call this city home?

move much of the city, my ass.

FIX THE ******* PROBLEM WITH THE DELTA that was created by the very same government jo wants to take over as a solution.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Storm warning, yeh, I expect that, but I'm unlikely to change my mind. I'm well aware of JPB's good works, and some assumptions that I don't care about the poeple - which happens not to be true.

It doesn't change my mind about maintaining living quarters in lowlands throughout the world, or some duty to keep it up after original poor decision making re the delta and the gulf. I do see duty to move and restart the city, with particular care for those houses and the residents, owners or not, in the lowlands.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Hurricane warning...

Shocked

Pie in the flippin' sky dreams are lovely, Osso...
squinney

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Laughing

Would you PLEASE stop that!!?

Laughing
mismi

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:58 pm
@JPB,
We are not going to Mobile, gas stations running out of gas and people going nuts like they do..rightly so...don't want to get caught with your pants down! Een though it is not projected to go in at Mobile, they are saying bands that will spawn tornado's will be coming through...so we are staying put. I am sad. Missing my nephews birthday. Sad - Not meant to be though. Feeling very Eeyorish.

Hoping for safety for you and yours Edgar. Praying that something causes Gustav to dissipate some and just be a storm. Praying even.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:59 pm
@JPB,
I'm no fan of the corps of engineers.

And I understand home and don't need a lecture about it.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:01 pm
@mismi,
Glad to hear you aren't venturing out Mis... are you still clearing up from Fay or have you dried out yet?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:03 pm
@squinney,
Can't, I gotta deal with the fallout...

(thanks fer askin Wink )
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:03 pm
Well, we've had 'em come across from the Gulf and clear towns in the Apalachians from the downpour and resulting mudslides. Had 'em come all the way in to Charlotte and Raleigh and do so much damage we were over a year cleaning up. Before NC, I lived in the midwest where there have been plenty of towns leveled by tornado's...Some more than once.

I'm just sayin' it isn't very realistic to just say "then don't live there if you know you are likely to be devestated by a natural disaster."

Should no one live in Florida?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:04 pm
Not pie in the sky. House moving happened in my neighborhood. Might have worked re New Orleans if it had been started in any concerted way, re keeping neighborhoods intact, and I agree re neigborhood connection. I'm not interested in dragging up my many links (some now defunct through computer crash) to support my view. Not particularly interested in being lambasted either. Go ahead and rail away.

I hope Gustav is mild for New Orleans.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:05 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks Iz...no, all dried up from Faye...my poor, poor wet vac though. I have got to go see about a sump pump. Thanks for asking sweet friend.
Izzie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:06 pm
@mismi,
If tornadoes are headed your way, hope the basement has got some games and stuff for the little fellas... oh... and some books for the Professor a? Stay safe hun. x
Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:07 pm
@squinney,
NOTICE:

Malibu is not safe... (they should abandon the dwellings immediately)

Nature bites everyone, and some of them don't have insurance...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
@Rockhead,
I agree re much of mailbu, at least re the central firepaths, or living only lightly in a few places. And I have friends with houses there.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
One reason the storm does not scare me that much, we are 79 miles from Galveston. When Alicia came, we were in the eye, but all the damage I saw in my part of town involved patches of shingles b lown off and a couple of fences down. I am not going to be complacent. I will take action to protect me and the missus, but there should be no reason for alarm - assuming no tornadoes get spawned around here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Excuse, me, hah, Malibu. Anyway, when I was a kid, those were mostly shacks at the shore, and that continued at least until the seventies..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Now it's a sea of McMansions up the long highway. At the Colony, more expensive places, but they started as nothin' so much.
mismi

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:17 pm
@Izzie,
I am not sure if they will get this far inland...depends on where Gustav goes in and how far he spreads out. I am not concerned...I already have batteries and a little battery operated TV and water and a coleman stove and a coleman lantern...we are set. Canned food...probably need to get some of that - but chances are slim to none that we will get anything but rain from Gus...some quality time in the basement if we get some tornado warnings...I really need to go look at those sump pumps though. Wink The ground is still saturated from Fay...if we get rain, I will have more problems in the crawl space...'salright though...I will deal...me and my handy dandy wet vac.