edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:39 pm
@mac11,
No, I would wish it could simply disappear. Too bad nature don't work like that.
mismi

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah...wish it would just dissipate. At least weaken to the point of just being a tropical storm. I guess we will see soon enough.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wasn't criticising the use of the 5-day cone, edgar. I was just "quoting" the NHC on how unpredictable storm paths can be. In fact, I think the 5-day is useful, particularly in this, the upcoming Labor Day weekend. People heading to the beach anywhere in the area from FL to TX need to be aware that Gustav is out there and needs to be watched.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
I didn't intend to imply you did, john.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
NEW ORLEANS "

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is declaring a state of emergency and activating the National Guard in advance of storm Gustav.

The storm could crash ashore on the Gulf Coast sometime over the Labor Day weekend as a perilous Category 3 hurricane, though forecasters caution it's difficult to predict the storm's path this early.

Jindal says 3,000 National Guard troops will be activated and deployed a day in advance of the storm's expected landfall. An additional 2,000 troops could be called up to duty.

About 300 guard troops are already in New Orleans, working with New Orleans police to patrol neighborhoods still devastated from Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807.gif
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:44 am
@edgarblythe,
It turned more south overnight.
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Right now it's looking a lot more like AL/MS - great news for my folks. Sad
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:36 am
@mismi,
FL and AL folks are already saying gas stations are running out of gas...(Pensacola, Mobile area) - http://www.wkrg.com/hurricane/article/tropics_gustav/17254/
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
@mismi,
I filled my tank before the prices surge.
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Where are you Edgar?
squinney

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:28 pm
Wow! This seems rather unfair, to say the least. Hope people are listening.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_5day.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm
@mismi,
Houston
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
They're watching!

Quote:
In a display of the federal government's heightened concern for New Orleans and its desire to show tangible improvements since Hurricane Katrina struck almost exactly three years ago, the Bush administration's top two disaster response officials come to Louisiana today with Tropical Storm Gustav on their minds.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff is due in Baton Rouge later today to meet with Gov. Bobby Jindal, and then Chertoff will come to New Orleans to meet with Mayor Ray Nagin's administration.

FEMA Administrator R. David Paulison is already in New Orleans to coordinate with state and local officials for emergency planning in preparation for Gustav, which could arrive in Louisiana with hurricane force winds early Tuesday.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/chertoff_fema_chief_arrive_in.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
The Republican party has discussed possibly delaying the convention as a result.
squinney

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
That would take some money to do!
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
@squinney,
And keep an eye on the newest storm: Hanna.
Here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of central Virginia we have had 6" of rain in the last 24 hours. Remnants of Fay.
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
I thought Fay was never going to leave!
We are suppose to go to Mobile, AL this weekend. We are watching very closely.
JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
@mismi,
Been thinking about you and your wet-vac, mis.

Stay safe!
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:08 pm
@JPB,
Ha...done with that for now...we will see...G-baby's running fever...sounds like a long weekend with my family might be called off for all sorts of natural disasters. Poor little pooper. Thanks JPB Wink