oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:59 pm
Not sure if this is a problem or a false alarm.

http://www.abc26.com/pages/weather_landing/?PLAQUEMINES-PARISH-PRESIDENT-TELLS-RESID=1&blockID=46279&feedID=1168

Some trouble with the levee protecting the "Braithwaite area" it seems.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
Thanks to everyone who worried about me in Houston. I'm fine, and as edgar said, all we're likely to get here is some rain - and maybe not even that.

My mom lives in Baton Rouge. Her power went out at 1 pm, but she seems to be fine. Lots of people are checking on her. Especially if her phone keeps working, she'll be ok for another day or so. No a/c is the only real problem.
hamburger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:36 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
o'bill wrote :

Quote:
Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Katrina was absolutely unprecedented in modern times and nobody anticipated the devastation it wrecked and no administration would have been fully prepared for that.

This is just so much nonsense. New Orleans was a ticking time bomb, is a ticking time bomb and still hasn't suffered the magnitude of death and destruction that's been imminently predictable for the better part of forever. The area of the Earth we call New Orleans has been periodically suffering much stronger storms than Katrina since before there were people. This isn't going to stop just because we want to live there now. Study after study demonstrated that New Orleans was a ticking time bomb and the only thing sillier than pretending "nobody anticipated the devastation" is pretending the Federal Government could (or should try) to make the city Hurricane proof. It's not going to happen. Sooner or later, however, a direct hit from a CAT-5 will.

o'bill :
i don't know if you ever watched the PBS documentary : THE DISAPPEARING DELTA : LOSING GROUND .

we watched it a year or two ago . a well made documentary imo .
it should really be shown again - but by ALL tv-networks and not just PBS .
hbg

link :

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/archives/losingground.html
Izzie

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:12 pm
@snood,
So pleased you and yours are safe Snood. Keep taking good care. x
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:14 pm
@mac11,
Happy you and Edgar are safe too Mac11 - hope Mom keeps checking in with you - love and thoughts to you and yours x and A/C back as soon as poss.... x
Izzie

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:16 pm
@Izzie,
Miss.... how are yours doing? Is Bro out and about???? Keep us posted on you and yours sweet girl x
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:17 pm
@snood,
Good deal, snood.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:17 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks, izzie
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:54 pm
@hamburger,
It is wonderful news that NO seems to have dodged the bullet of Gustav.
But I await the verdict on the fragile regions on the Gulf Coast, as Bill & Osso have mentioned.
I tried to make notes from a story on NPR this afternoon, but it got too complicated. The telling points were the Delta is losing a football sized piece of wetlands every 40 minutes and that is not good, not good at all.
If one of yall can do this, I would appreciate it: npr.org and then All things Considered for 9/1, and then Environment and then Audio of that story.
JPB

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:58 pm
The Army Corps of Engineers has just announced that they are in the process of closing the flood gates at the Harvey and 17th St. canals.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

But I await the verdict on the fragile regions on the Gulf Coast, as Bill & Osso have mentioned.

Me too, rjb, and I will be happy to participate in whatever discussions fall out of this event but today is not the day.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:05 am
@JPB,
Hey JPB, Hey Izzie, ...Thank you for asking. - They are fine. Limbs and trash scattered about - but no trees down. She said it was mainly just waves of gusty winds and rain. They never saw the first tornado in their area and all is well.

I am still reading. My MIL and FIL came over yesterday afternoon and I couldn't keep up with the reading. I am going to get the kids ready for school and be back to read the rest.

hugs - happy to see what I did read shows Snood and Mac11 and Edgar just fine...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:22 am
Just reading along... glad that things generally seem to not be as bad as feared!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:34 am
@sozobe,
This was a good dress rehersal for New Orleans. Not to minimize the human mysery involved. They saw a test of the work of the past three years and saw its weak points. Hopefully they have gained enough insight to make it better for the next test.
mismi

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Good point Edgar
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:27 am
@realjohnboy,
"realjohnboy" wrote:
It is wonderful news that NO seems to have dodged the bullet of Gustav.
I tried to make notes from a story on NPR this afternoon, but it got too complicated. The telling points were the Delta is losing a football sized piece of wetlands every 40 minutes and that is not good, not good at all.
If one of yall can do this, I would appreciate it: npr.org and then All things Considered for 9/1, and then Environment and then Audio of that story.

Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=94176239&m=94176186
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:34 am
Hey Mac11 - how's Mom getting on now. A/C back on????
mac11

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm
@Izzie,
Unfortunately, now her phone's not working - and neither is the phone for the facility where she lives. So I haven't had any updates today. I'm hoping for the best and will try again this evening. If I don't reach her, I'll start in on her friends.
Izzie

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@mac11,
There's a lot of outtages right now, yep. Try not to worry - tho I know that won't be easy. Hope you'll be posting soon to say all's k. Hugs to you x
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

o'bill wrote :

Quote:
Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Katrina was absolutely unprecedented in modern times and nobody anticipated the devastation it wrecked and no administration would have been fully prepared for that.

This is just so much nonsense. New Orleans was a ticking time bomb, is a ticking time bomb and still hasn't suffered the magnitude of death and destruction that's been imminently predictable for the better part of forever. The area of the Earth we call New Orleans has been periodically suffering much stronger storms than Katrina since before there were people. This isn't going to stop just because we want to live there now. Study after study demonstrated that New Orleans was a ticking time bomb and the only thing sillier than pretending "nobody anticipated the devastation" is pretending the Federal Government could (or should try) to make the city Hurricane proof. It's not going to happen. Sooner or later, however, a direct hit from a CAT-5 will.

o'bill :
i don't know if you ever watched the PBS documentary : THE DISAPPEARING DELTA : LOSING GROUND .

we watched it a year or two ago . a well made documentary imo .
it should really be shown again - but by ALL tv-networks and not just PBS .
hbg

link :

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/archives/losingground.html
I hadn't seen that one specifically and found it very interesting, thanks.

I'm going to move this to Craven's new disaster thread, to leave this one for concerned folks about Gustav's aftermath (I know first hand; no power sucks.)
0 Replies