Bush doesn't bother with the phony precautions for this hurricane.

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
Two weeks ago, as Hurricane Gustav picked up steam through the Gulf of Mexico and took aim at New Orleans, President Bush canceled his plan to speak in person to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn. -- during the one hour of prime-time live network television coverage, no less.

Instead, he flew to Texas to inspect preparations for storm relief, and was briefed on evacuations. He spoke to the Republican delegates that night in a low-key eight-minute live video from the White House, just before the major network coverage began.

But these hurricanes are coming along one after another, and today -- even as the impact of the outer edges of Hurricane Ike were being felt from New Orleans to Galveston and beyond -- the president kept to his original agenda and travel plan: He arrived not far away in Oklahoma on a cloudy morning, spoke to a forum on health savings accounts -- and did $1 million worth of political fundraising.

At the fundraising luncheon in Oklahoma City, Bush spoke behind closed doors to ...

... people who paid as much as $25,000 each to boost John McCain's presidential bid and the Republican Party.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/presidentbush/2008/09/ike-republicans.html

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:30 pm
@kickycan,
Further proof that Bush haters hate Bush.

When he, and others went to where Gustav was going to hit, we got a bunch "What's he gonna do?", "He's wasting money going there." ad nauseum.

Now, he didn't go and we get to hear this horse ****.

kickycan

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:36 pm
@McGentrix,
I never said any of that. You should stop treating people as if they are all one monolithic representation of "the left."
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:41 pm
@kickycan,
I've never considered it the President's responsibility to look really concerned when a hurricane is coming. I don't need him to fill sandbags after a flood either. Just stay in Washington and approve the help needed in a timely manner. I was in Charleston for Hugo and was very happy that the first President Bush didn't come to town. My fellow citizens were really upset that Bush didn't fly around and shake his head at the devastation for the press. He did quickly approve emergency funds and that worked for me.
kickycan

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:44 pm
@engineer,
Totally not my point. My point is that he only went to "oversee" during Gustav because it was politically beneficial. Either way you look at it, he's a phony.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@engineer,
That's a huge improvement over Bush Jr who told the American People that we were going to see the biggest rec0nstruction program in US history from Jackson Square in NO.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
Totally not my point. My point is that he only went to "oversee" during Gustav because it was politically beneficial. Either way you look at it, he's a phony.

We all knew he was ducking the convention, but point taken. On a different matter, anyone know how to automatically quote a previous post without copying and pasting?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:24 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Quote:

We all knew he was ducking the convention, but point taken. On a different matter, anyone know how to automatically quote a previous post without copying and pasting?

By hitting the 'quote' button, right next to the reply button.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:37 pm
@engineer,
officials who are working emergencies universally say that it is a major pain in the ass to have presidents come for a photo op, that they must pull people off of the work to see to the needs of the president. But the American public, whip smart as they are, make presidents pay for not making the trip, or in the case of Bush the small for doing a fly-over in air force one instead.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:03 pm
@engineer,
Go to preferences and turn on your quote button. Then you can follow Cyc's advice.
engineer

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:52 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Go to preferences and turn on your quote button. Then you can follow Cyc's advice.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. Why would someone not want the quote button on?
rabel22

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:27 am
@engineer,
Where can I find preferances. And before anyone comments yes I am a computer idiot. My six year grandchild knows more about these things than I do.
nimh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:50 am
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

Where can I find preferances. And before anyone comments yes I am a computer idiot. My six year grandchild knows more about these things than I do.

At the top right of your screen, it says "rabel22 :: xx people online". Click on "rabel22". In the menu on the left, the second last box says "Edit Preferences". Click that and you can change some settings to determine how the site works for you.

(There may be other or easier ways to get there, this is just how I find it.)
rabel22

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:59 am
@nimh,
Thanks!
0 Replies