The 2008 Democrat Convention

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:20 am
@Debra Law,
This is all I needed to see...

Quote:
Announcing Mr McCain's decision, his election website said Ms Palin had "brought Republicans and Democrats together within her administration [in Alaska] and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington".

At the same time, Ms Palin is a strong conservative, fiscally and socially.

She also opposes abortion and her baby son has Down's Syndrome.

Abortion has been a key issue cited by Republican voters who feel the Arizona senator is not conservative enough, our correspondent says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7588435.stm
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:42 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

This is all I needed to see...

Quote:
Announcing Mr McCain's decision, his election website said Ms Palin had "brought Republicans and Democrats together within her administration [in Alaska] and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington".

At the same time, Ms Palin is a strong conservative, fiscally and socially.

She also opposes abortion and her baby son has Down's Syndrome.

Abortion has been a key issue cited by Republican voters who feel the Arizona senator is not conservative enough, our correspondent says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7588435.stm

A quick tour through the leftwing blogs (and initial leftwing posts even here on A2K) finds the expected smear campaign starting--
- she's a token appointment to appeal to Hillary voters
- she has an outdated hairdo
- she's in bed with big oil
- she's too young
- she's inexperienced and a heartbeat away from the presidency - dangerous. (Like electing a president with zero experience isn't dangerous? At least Palin will have some time to gain some experience as Vice President before any probable need to serve as President will come. I wonder where Obama will get HIS experience between now and the time he might be elected president? If 'good judgment' and 'character' is sufficient to qualify him, why not her?)
- She has no problem with intelligent design as a concept even while she does not deny evolutionary theory, but that's DAMNING for those who are opposed to being open-minded about anything they don't want to believe.

On the other hand, she's smart. She has been successful in what she has done thus far. She is popular with the people, both Democrat and Republican, in Alaska. She has not misrepresented or manufactured her resume. She has solid conservative credentials and has demonstrated them in practice, and she seems genuinely committed to being a public servant instead of being in it for fame and glory.

I like her.
JPB

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:09 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'm not sure why you quoted my post and then related it to a smear campaign, but believe me her hairdo, big oil buddies, age, and prior experience have absolutely nothing to do with my position.
panzade

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
It seems to me that while the Dems were paying lip service to the advancement of women in politics, and denying Hillary a place on the ticket, McCain took the opportunity to make a radical move for all Americans...
shame on the donkeys
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
@panzade,
I find it far more sexist to put someone on the ticket simply because she's a woman than to support the strongest candidate -- no matter who that may be.

I look forward to voting for a woman president some day. This year, Barack Obama was a better option than Hillary Clinton. And Hillary Clinton would have been better than Sarah Palin.

I'm for affirmative action in some situations -- not when it comes to the President of the United States.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:16 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
(Like electing a president with zero experience isn't dangerous? At least Palin will have some time to gain some experience as Vice President before any probable need to serve as President will come. I wonder where Obama will get HIS experience between now and the time he might be elected president? If 'good judgment' and 'character' is sufficient to qualify him, why not her?)

Oh, probably because she doesn't HAVE good judgment and character. This scandal she's involved in cuts right to the quick of that little argument: she was more then willing to abuse her power to get someone she personally dislike fired, and then was willing to fire the guy who wouldn't follow her orders on the matter.

Don't be naive and buy the 'oh, I didn't know about it' line. The idea that some staffer would make such a move, in the Gov's name, on their own, is ludicrous, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
@sozobe,
with all due respect soz...I've heard that old baloney about "when the proper female candidate comes along" for ages...as a dem I'm disappointed that the "right" time still hadn't arrived
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:22 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I'm not sure why you quoted my post and then related it to a smear campaign, but believe me her hairdo, big oil buddies, age, and prior experience have absolutely nothing to do with my position.

I was certainly not relating your post to a smear campaign, JPB and sorry if I gave that impression. My intent was to buld on your comments which I appreciated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
@panzade,
You should be honest and admit that Hillary lost b/c she ran out of money, and for no other reason. If she had had the funds to compete in Feb., she would have won. Period. It was financial mismanagement on the part of her campaign that did her in. All this talk of 'not the right time' is besides the point.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:26 pm
@panzade,
I don't know what that means, though.

I very carefully considered Obama and Hillary. I decided that Obama was the better choice.

As the campaign wore on, I decided that Obama was the MUCH better choice. Many reasons.

Where do we go from there? That I should decide to vote for the candidate I considered to be a distant second... simply because she's a woman?

Why?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:30 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

It seems to me that while the Dems were paying lip service to the advancement of women in politics, and denying Hillary a place on the ticket, McCain took the opportunity to make a radical move for all Americans...
shame on the donkeys

Hi Pansade. How have you been?

While I appreciate your observation and sentiment, I think we shouldn't be so naive that the decision to choose Sarah did not in part include consideration of her appeal to women because she is a woman. That almost certainly was part of the mix in the deliberations.

But for the 'donkeys' to now try to smear her by saying that she was chosen ONLY because she is a woman is as absurd as saying that black Americans (or anybody else) support Barack Obama ONLY because he is a black man.

Having said that, while the GOP has a pretty good track record in furthering equal opportunity in all things, I can't be intellectually honest and at the same time say that I am not tickled that they didn't pick another rich white guy (which the 'donkeys' would almost certainly be attacking on those grounds too.)

All the sudden bruhaha over Sarah's youth, inexperience, yadda yadda comes across very much as sour grapes and/or much ado about nothing. It only underscores my impression that she's scaring the opposition to death. Smile

I don't have a clue who will win in November but I wish with all my heart that it could be on the qualifications, issues, and intent of the candidates as much as we are able to discern. Alas, it will probably be more focused on petty details like her hairdo than on anything substantive. And that is a tragedy.

panzade

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:38 pm
i appreciate all your replies, and yes, naivete is my forte
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxy, why do you keep mentioning Ms. Palin's hair? you're the only poster I've seen talking about it. You're positively Milleresque about it.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

i appreciate all your replies, and yes, naivete is my forte

I don't believe that for a minute. You've been pretty astute and thoughtful in what I do consider your forte and, even though we haven't always agreed on this or that, excessive naivete hasn't entered into that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxy, why do you keep mentioning Ms. Palin's hair? you're the only poster I've seen talking about it. You're positively Milleresque about it.

As previously stated, I did a quick run around some leftwing blogs and it was being mocked and ridiculed quite a bit. I think at least one member here on A2K joined in on that too, but can't remember where. It is also surfacing on the talk show circuit as others are picking up on that phenomenon.
Debra Law

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote: "It only underscores my impression that she's scaring the opposition to death."

If McCain wins the presidency, she'll be heartbeat away from being president. The possibility of having this person so close to this nation's highest executive office is scary because her "resume" demonstrates that she's an extremist who maliciously abuses her power. McCain's choice for running mate is evidence of poor judgment. Your impressions are misplaced. Palin is not an asset to the Republican ticket.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:51 pm
@Debra Law,
And I respectfully note that you're wrong on every point other than she'll be a heartbeat away from being the president. While one gains experience, is that not a preferable position than having the inexperience being in the Presidential chair itself?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:56 pm
@Foxfyre,
Palin's hairdo is irrelevant when considering her qualifications to be VP. But, that doesn't mean you don't notice it.

I'm not sexist, but one of my first thoughts when I saw Palin a little while ago was, "What's up with the big hair?"

I would also have noticed it if John McCain suddenly appeared wearing a very skinny tie, or a bow tie, or a loud sports jacket.

To notice her hairdo isn't sexist. To make a big deal of it might be.

But I bet that Saturday Night Live will exaggerate the hair when they do a skit about her.

McCain looks even older with such a young woman standing next to him. I wonder if he thought about that.

Palin's resume? What resume? Being mayor of a town with under 6,000 people? Serving as governor of a small state for two years?

If McCain thinks this is real "executive experience", he's not qualified for the Oval Office.

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 01:06 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
It only underscores my impression that she's scaring the opposition to death. Smile

The only thing that scares me to death is the idea of a strong social conservative being anywhere near the top of the pecking order with only a 72-year-old man ahead of her.

As someone who was giving strong consideration to voting for McCain pending his selection of a running-mate, any chance of my vote has gone completely out the window. I don't pretend to be all that unique in my thinking. I have a strong suspicion that a lot of folks just got off the fence.

As an aside... Mr B is watching her on TV and just said that his first impression isn't very good. He hasn't been an Obama supporter up to now and was a strong McCain supporter 8 years ago. I'll keep you posted on whether or not he swings left now as well.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@firefly,
I didn't use the sexist word. That came from the Democrats trying to make it a sexist thing to nominate Sarah. Smile