The 2008 Democrat Convention

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
@snood,
I think we agreed on Hillary's speech not focusing enough on Obama. I am really excited to hear Bill...and moreso Biden. Of course, Obama's should be a real treat!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't see how that could be true, but some seem to take it that way. Democrat defines the person. Oddly, so does Republican... Democratic is a modifier.
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
@Lash,
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/dnc.jpg

Not a big deal, just saying.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:36 am
@sozobe,
We'll let you start the thread next year...haha. I think it's a misnomer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:37 am
@Lash,
From Wikipedia -

Quote:
"Democrat Party" has been used from time to time by opponents of the Democratic Party and sometimes by others. The earliest known use of the term, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, was by a London stock-market analyst, who wrote in 1890, "Whether a little farmer from South Carolina named Tillman is going to rule the Democrat Party in America - yet it is this, and not output, on which the proximate value of silver depends."[2] The term was used by Herbert Hoover in 1932, and in the late 1930s by Republicans who used it to criticize Democratic big city machines run by powerful political bosses in what they considered undemocratic fashion. Republican leader Harold Stassen said in 1940, "I emphasized that the party controlled in large measure at that time by Hague in New Jersey, Pendergast in Missouri and Kelly-Nash in Chicago should not be called a 'Democratic Party.' It should be called the 'Democrat Party.'"[1]

The noun-as-adjective has been used by Republican leaders since the 1940s and appears in some GOP national platforms since 1948.[3] In 1947, Republican leader Senator Robert A. Taft said, "Nor can we expect any other policy from any Democrat Party or any Democrat President under present day conditions. They can not possibly win an election solely through the support of the solid South, and yet their political strategists believe the Southern Democrat Party will not break away no matter how radical the allies imposed upon it."[4] President Dwight D. Eisenhower used the term in his acceptance speech in 1952 and in partisan speeches to Republican groups.[5] Ruth Walker notes how Joseph McCarthy repeatedly used the phrase "the Democrat Party," and critics argue that if McCarthy used the term in the 1950s, then no one else should do so. [6] The Dan Smoot Report throughout the 50s and 60s used the phrase, almost without exception.

Know yer history of perjorative terms

Cycloptichorn
rabel22

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:40 am
@okie,
A hell of a lot more people dont trust Bush and the Bush clone running for office.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
Time enough to bash Bush and McCain in the upcoming Republican convention and I'm sure many objecting to anybody even suggesting criticism of Obama et al on this thread will be happy to bash Republicans on the GOP thread.

Meanwhile, Maureen Dowd, nobody's idea of an objective journalist or a GOP supporter, has effectively summarized the tension/problem in the Democratic Convention in her current column:

Quote:
DENVER: I've been to a lot of conventions, and there's always something gratifyingly weird that happens.

Dan Quayle acting like a Dancing Hamster. Teresa Heinz Kerry reprising Blanche DuBois. Dick Morris getting nabbed triangulating between a hooker and toes.

But this Democratic convention has a vibe so weird and jittery, so at odds with the early thrilling fairy-dust feel of the Obama revolution, that I had to consult with Mike Murphy, the peppery Republican strategist and former McCain guru.

"What is that feeling in the air?" I asked him.

"Submerged hate," he promptly replied.

MORE HERE: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/27/opinion/eddowd.php

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:54 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/dnc.jpg

Not a big deal, just saying.

The problem comes in the common usage. Republican can be adjective or proper noun. But the proper noun and the term used by Democrats to describe themselves is Democrat. Michelle Obama didn't describe herself as a proud Democratic.

Just one of those wierd American anomalies in language usage.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:55 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Time enough to bash Bush and McCain in the upcoming Republican convention and I'm sure many objecting to anybody even suggesting criticism of Obama et al on this thread will be happy to bash Republicans on the GOP thread.

Correct, Foxfyre. The reason I post here is to put in my two cents worth, and give the Dems an idea of how a conservative person views their event, so that they are reminded that not everyone thinks the way they do. I try to do it respectfully, not resorting to hateful terms as the Bush haters do, but nevertheless stating the truth as I see it and giving a realistic view of how the opposition views the proceedings. I happen to think that is appropriate, just as I hope Dems do the same with the Republican convention, but hopefully do it in respectful terms.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
@okie,
The republicans will no doubt run a more effective convention and campaign.... that's what they do. Unfortunately, their ideas suck.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:06 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

The republicans will no doubt run a more effective convention and campaign.... that's what they do. Unfortunately, their ideas suck.

Well, I can't agree that McCain has run a more effective campaign than Obama has. He is beginning to develop his sea legs a bit as of late, but in the early running, it was embarrassing. Some GOP ideas have sucked, yes. But we haven't seen the final Republican platform yet either. I hope we can discuss it when it is made official. Last I read it will even include a global warming plank for the first time ever. I won't be enamored with that, but many on your side of the aisle should be.

I wish the current Democratic Convention was dealing more with issues instead of mostly broad, generic terms too. Used to we could get an idea of how a party would govern based on what was 'sold' at the convention. Now it is simply a giant promotion to win whatever that takes and the details will be revealed later.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:13 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
We will get the feeling at the RNC that the people there are adults, Bi Polar. It will be refreshing. I just can't get visions of that speech by the clown from Montana out of my mind.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@okie,
What'd he do to get under your skin so much, Okie?

My guess is the the Republican convention will be a very negative affair this year, and that's why so many of your own party members running for office refuse to attend.

Cycloptichorn
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:43 am
@okie,
honestly.... after eight years of george bush.... how can anyone appear clown like in comparison? bush should have carried a bottle of seltzer on his belt.....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Holy ****! That Tillman mentioned in that quote is Ben Pitchfork Tillman...my ancestor!!!! You should hear this family history. His nephew shot the town newspaper editor in broad daylight in downtown Columbia for trashing him in the paper...

But, Cyclops, it's just proper usage. It's not meant as a dig. If you want to take offense, I can't stop you.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:49 am
@Lash,
Well, that's how it's historically been used by members of your party. Just pointing it out to ya, as you didn't seem aware of that.

Funny that that was your ancestor, lol - he sounds like a moderate, restrained fellow.

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
There were a hoot. I have a lot of colorful peeps in my ancestry... Pretty violent bunch. Weirdly, Tillman (Pitchfork) founded Clemson...my son's alma mater... So, education and killin....haha
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What'd he do to get under your skin so much, Okie?
Cycloptichorn

He didn't get under my skin, but I felt embarrassed for you guys. I thought he was very amateurish, trying his best to work up the crowd, but he got only grudging cooperation. First of all, he is a contradiction of alot of the people there, a rancher of all things, then talking about a crucifix on the mantel, a picture of JFK, and so on. I think some of the western Democrats of states like Montana are a throwback, their heritage is because of FDR Democrat parents or grandparents, but they are very clueless as to what their party actually is dominated by today. He may be a nice guy, but is totally out of his element there, and he is evidently too dumb to know it, but he was having such a good time trying to show how he could gin up the crowd, he really did appear to me to be somewhat "clown-like."

Just my opinion, cyclops. Your party really is an interesting collection of sort of alot of odd ball people, plus sort of normal people, running from the intellectuals, to the feminists, to the celebrity types, to the old FDR heritage types, and so on. The images of the Hillary supporters lapping up her every word, and sobbing, those are priceless as well.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:13 am
@okie,
Whereas the Republicans are what, Okie? Not a collection of oddball types? Geez. I mean, I'm a partisan guy, but you make me look positively centrist.

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:
Is she bitter and therefore purposely not releasing her delegates?
How would you answer this question? Is there more than one way? How is this not divisive? If she was truly seeking unity; why continue to be divisive? Her words were pretty enough as far as I'm concerned... but actions speak louder than words.