anti inflamatory medications

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:26 am
Since they are both COX inhibitors, I'm assuming it's their steric rather than their reactive properties that are important -- and sterically they are very similar, especially since that amino group off of the sulfur thingy is likely to be protonated in circulation.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:34 am
I use Oruidus (sp) now and then
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:45 am
patiodog: How can you tell though? (Re: steric hinderance) It's only a 2-D drawing.

Both estradiol (estrogen compound) and testosterone look similar, but have different effects.

Estradiol
http://chemistry.umeche.maine.edu/CHY132/Estra.gif

Testosterone
http://chemistry.umeche.maine.edu/CHY132/Testos2.gif

I guess my take on it is that chemically the entire compound looks different, but the telling tale in the end would be what part of the molecule is the reactive site and is that reactive site similar on both molecules. I would imagine they must be if they perform similar functions.

Somewhat akin to the differences between progesterone and a progestin analog (lab made) called medroxyprogesterone. They both are supposed to be the same in terms of active sites. However, the natural stuff is almost always the way to go, in my opinion. Wink

Medroxyprogesterone

http://www.pharmacology2000.com/Gonadal/medroxyprogesterone1.gif

Progesterone

http://chemistry.umeche.maine.edu/CHY132/Progest2.gif

And I just noticed that testosterone and progesterone look even more alike than do testosterone and estradiol. Once again though, a male hormone and a female hormone.

As always, I enjoy the discussion with you patiodog. Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:59 am
Well, I'm just going about making wild assumptions, but it's been my impression that the synthetics are nowhere near as subtle in their effects as the naturally occurring substances (esp. the steroids). From what I've been able to find so far, in fact, it appears that Vioxx and Celebrex don't even bind the active site on COX-2 -- they bind a secondary site that forces the enzyme into a relatively inactive conformation. (The absence of this site on COX-1 is what gives it its specificity.)

But I'm looking. (Can't make myself work on what I'm supposed to, can't sleep.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 03:10 am
No stereochemical ambiguity in either of those figures, by the way. If you look, everything carbon is either in an aromatic ring or has two identical groups (?) attached.

Mardini and Fitzgerald (Mol Intervent. 2001 Apr;1(1):30-8) report two other synthetic COX-2 inhibitors of similar structure in addition to Vioxx and Celebrex. All bind the same site (a pocket that is blocked by valine in COX-2 and a the bulkier isoleucine in COX-1, at identical positions. One of the other two inhibitors actually has a six-membered ring where these two have 5-membered rings. The inhibitor that is most selective for COX-2 (in vitro, anyway) is etoricoxib (the one with the central 6-membered ring), but it acts at much higher concentrations than the rest of them.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 03:41 am
All right, ran across a J. Med. Chem. article (Amgad G. Habeeb, P. N. Praveen Rao, and Edward E. Knaus, J. Med. Chem., 44 (18), 3039 -3042, 2001) on the subject. They replaced the sulfur-containing functional groups (I still can't remember the name of that group) of vioxx and celebrex with azide groups and found comparable activity. More to the point, the figures showed the analogs docking in the binding site, and though different groups create different binding affinities (hence the different dosages required for vioxx and celebrex), the drugs are definitely acting through the same electrostatic interactions. The selectivity for COX-2 is all to do with fitting into this particular pocket but being to big to slip into it on COX-1. For what it's worth, COX-2 appears to be the "older" of the two...

And so, back to work...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:14 pm
impressive you folks are!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:46 pm
The secret is that it's all complete nonsense, like Jabberwocky elaborated a million times and stripped of its meter and joy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:01 pm
patiodog wrote:
(Can't make myself work on what I'm supposed to, can't sleep.)

Now there's a behavioral trait I relate to.

You both know more chem than I do now, but I like to see/hear you talk about it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:09 am
Noddy24 wrote:
My doctor took me off Ibuprofen because of anemia and substituted Celebrex (200 mg.). I think the Ibuprofen (800 mg.) was more effective at pain relief, but I've had no unpleasant reactions to Celebrex.

Anemia?

Were you having a gastric bleed?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:20 am
patiodog wrote:
Vioxx:
http://www.cnnet.clu.edu/quim/Q_3451/estereoquimica/image57.gif

Celebrex:
http://www.info-pharm.com/celebrex/images/celebr1.gif

Look pretty similar to me.

They may look similar to you, but of course they're very different both in vivo and in vitro. For instance, structural analysis indicates that while Celebrex is a benzenesulfonamide, Vioxx is not. Thus, if a patient is allergic to the sulfonamides, Vioxx may be a better medication for the control of arthritic pain. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 03:23 am
em, miller's question re anemia et al is interesting, but I trust you have good medical purview, Noddy, or what...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:00 am
Three or four times a year, I'm diagnosed with serious anemia. I've been scoped fore and aft, but the site of the bleeding has not yet been determined. Best theoretical guess is that somewhere I have a malformation of the capillaries and instead of blood flowing from arteries to veins, it escapes and puddles.

Obviously if this is happening in the brain this is exceedingly dangerous. Thus far, my anemia has been a nuisance, but not life threatening.

Eventually it cures itself. Meanwhile, I take iron tonic and mutter about the implacable unfairness of the Genetic Lottery.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:17 am
Quote:
They may look similar to you, but of course they're very different both in vivo and in vitro. For instance, structural analysis indicates that while Celebrex is a benzenesulfonamide, Vioxx is not. Thus, if a patient is allergic to the sulfonamides, Vioxx may be a better medication for the control of arthritic pain.

V. good to know, thankee. I was just positing that the mechanism of their inhibitory effect is the same; physiology is beyond me.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:20 am
Medicinal chemistry is the way to search for clues.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:42 pm
Noddy, if your blood puddled in your brain, we wouldn't be talking with you now. I presume you check your stool regularly to make sure it isn't tarry (black) with blood coming from higher up in the alimentary tract.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:26 am
Two doctors and I all devote time to checking my intact/leaky digestive tract. Thus far there is no helpful evidence.
0 Replies

posar

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
Vioxx
Health Alert
vioxx has been pulled from the shelf by the manufacturer.
Health risks named are high risk of Heart Attack & stroke
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:33 pm
It's sinister that the FDA permits high profit drugs to go on the market without adequate testing. A three year study by Merck, I believe, has discovered the danger to the heart of Vioxx. This is AFTER years of high profits. But the irony in this is that the FDA resists the release of drugs onto the market that serve fewer people who are in serious danger of dying from terminal illnesses. The FDA acts like a "responsible" gatekeeper for drugs desperately needed by fewer people and prematurelyl releases drugs that more dangerously treat MANY people suffering common and non-life threatening complaints like osteoarthritis. It all seems to be about profits, little else.
0 Replies

jenna22

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:26 pm
i've used vioxx , have a v.good opinion about it .but would like to know if it could bring any help i sciatic case? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies