Clark to enter presidential race

Italgato

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:52 am
You got it Sofia- Neither does he or does he and is he going to be in the line of Bill Clinton- the sublimely successful liar?

See Clark's quotes above that put the lie to his so-called anti-war stance.

It just may be that Hillary and Bill wanted to throw Clark into the mix to lessen the chances of any of the nine so that Hillary's turn in 2008 could be preserved.

I will not accept the line that the political professionals did not know that Clark had been definitely pro-war in Iraq.

The professional pols( especially Hillary's crew) know everything about all the candidates.

They knew Clark's statements would screw him up.

So why are the Hillaryites ostensibly backing him?
0 Replies

gingy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:28 am
Italgato wrote:
It just may be that Hillary and Bill wanted to throw Clark into the mix to lessen the chances of any of the nine so that Hillary's turn in 2008 could be preserved.

now i dooubt that. i think that we can't afford to have bushieboy in another term. and they know it.

but it is interesting that he has not expressed his views on different issues. well we will find out more on the debate i think it is the 26th.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:32 am
I saw Clark on the Today Show this morning and he actually seemed to be trying to distance himself from the Clintons. A wise move on his part.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:22 am
McGentrix
Distancing himself from Clinton cost Gore the presidency. No matter how the republicans try to paint him Bill Clinton has a very large following both in the US and around the world.
IMO if it were possible Clinton would defeat Bush in an election held today.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:26 am
au1929 wrote:
McGentrix
Distancing himself from Clinton cost Gore the presidency. No matter how the republicans try to paint him Bill Clinton has a very large following both in the US and around the world.
IMO if it were possible Clinton would defeat Bush in an election held today.

So would Clark, if you put much stock in the polls.
0 Replies

gingy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:09 am
AU1929
i am sure he could. but i think Clinton had enough crap. he was impeached for lying about SEX. comon. i think this war is FAR worse. sex is a personal thing. this war affects everyone.

gore may have lost because of distancing himself from Clinton. we will never know. NEVER FORGET THAT ELECTION WAS VERY FISHY.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
orgasm or wargasim?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:26 am
Gingy, you keep forgetting the logic of conservatism:
Sex is bad, killing is good.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:30 am
You misread the credo.
Sex is good; liberals are almost always bad.
Liberals are bad at sex, but try to make up for in with frequency. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:35 am
sex can be so good both liberals and conservatives enjoy it equally.
0 Replies

gingy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:20 pm
the fact is sex really has nothing to do with politics.
that was my point.

and liberal or conservative views don't affect your "ability in the sack".

tho i find conservatives are way to preoccupied with it. else why make such a deal aboout lying over sex. under oath or not. it was just SECX.

and i agree sex is good killing is bad. but i am talking about the preoccupation with sex--oral or otherwise by conservatives who harp and harp on it because they can't find enough "real" misdeeds to talk abpout.

do you really think that there aren't conservatives out there cheating on their spouses? give us a break!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 02:13 pm
But they are not getting caught. Just goes to prove that Dems are guilty AND dim witted...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 02:16 pm
In other countries they laugh at us. Sigh.

I try to tell them that we are more partisan than Puritanical, but they think we are obsessed with sex.

Well, they are right to some extent. Sex is less of a scandal almost anywhere else in the world. Other nations view it as a normal human function.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 02:29 pm
Grover Cleveland admitted to siring an illegitimate child in 1884 in what became until recent events the best known sex scandal in presidential history, leading the Republicans to chant, "Ma, Ma, where's my Pa?" When Cleveland won the election, the Democrats answered, "Gone to the White House, ha! ha! ha!"
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:53 pm
Gen. Wesley K. Clark Announces Bold Job Creation Plan

September 24, 2003 - To promote his ideal of a New American Patriotism, Gen. Wesley K. Clark (Ret.) today unveiled a three-pronged, $100-billion strategy to create American jobs and help middle-income families.

http://www.clark04.com/whitepapers/01/
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 03:18 pm
Sofia wrote:
You misread the credo.
Sex is good; liberals are almost always bad.
Liberals are bad at sex, but try to make up for in with frequency. :wink:

I was unaware of this, but I do recall reading how, after GWB dressed up as a pilot and landed on the aircraft carrier for TV, Republican women were quoted as saying he looked "hot." Chacun a son gout, I guess...
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:05 pm
gingy- You give no quotes or references so I assume that your comment on "Clinton was impeached for lying about sex".

If you are a lawyer or a judge or some other person with expert enough to make such judgments, I will accept your comment. Otherwise, I am very much afraid that you are egregiously mistaken.''

"The only crime plausibly attributed to the president growing out of his affair with Lewinsky is obstruction of justice...the president's alleged obstructions of justice fall into two classes; improperly influencing other witnesses and committing perjury in his deposition in that case, in his testimony before the grand jury, and in his answers to the questions put to him by the House Judiciary Committee."

"He( Clinton) was explicit in suggesting that she ( Lewinsky) could say in her affidavit tht the Office of Legislative Affairs had arranged for her job in the Pentagon. This is suborning perjury....It is clear that Clinton perjured himself in the Paula Jones deposition...Several of the statements in Clinton's deposition were clearly perjurious. The first was a denial of having been alone with Monica Lewinsky except possibly on a few occasions,each no more than a few minutes in duration, when she bought him documents...He lied when he said that he had never been "alone" with Lewinsky...Justice is obstructed not only when a miscarriage of justice results but when the court of justice is unreasonably delayed or burdened. Had Clinton told the truth at his deposition or simply refused to answer questions about Lewinsky, the Paula Jones case would almost certainly resolved, either by settlement or by the entry of a default judgement, BEFORE Sept. 1998 when it was finally settled".

I am asking that any comments on the above be related to the substance rather than to any "ad hominem" idiocies.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:07 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
In other countries they laugh at us. Sigh.

I try to tell them that we are more partisan than Puritanical, but they think we are obsessed with sex.

Well, they are right to some extent. Sex is less of a scandal almost anywhere else in the world. Other nations view it as a normal human function.

Kraven, read Thomas Morone's Hellfire Nation. He talks about our love /fear/hate relationship with sex over the last 300 years or so. Smile
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:20 pm
Furthermore, gingy seems to overlook the fact that there is a distinction between private morality and public morality. The former term refers to the duties that the moral code of a society imposes on people regardless of their office or job, THE LATTER TO THE DUTIES THAT HE CODE IMPOSES ON PEOPLE WHO OCCUPY PARTICULAR OFFICES.

A lawyer has special moral duties--the domain of "legal ethics"--by virtue of his or her profession, as well as the moral duties that are common to all persons in his society. And so with every other profession and vocation, including that of a poilitical leader."

The above is from Judge Posner's "An Affair of State".

There have been, of course, incidents in which Professors in Universities have engaged in Sexual Llaisons with students. Some of these professors have been censured( even though it is only about "sex" since their positions of authority vis a vis the students partly negate the "mutual consensus" idea.
There have been instances in which the ever watchful NAGS have been most scornful of professors having their way with young and vulnerable coeds.

Yet, some in our society( retrograde as they may be called by some segments of our people) do think that sexual relations between a professor and a coed is at best, unseemly, and at worse, a complete breakdown in the teacher-student relationship.

As Posner states:

"The last exemplary DUTY of a president is the simplest; it is to avoid scandals that reduce a president's effectiveness...the avoidance of scandal is a public duty- a precondition to the effective discharge of the President's other public duties.
POLITICAL CAPITAL THAT PRESIDENT CLINTON MIGHT HAVE EXPENDED ON WORTHWHILE PRESIDENTIAL PROJECTS AND POLICIES HAD TO BE DIVERTED TO SAVE HIS POLITICAL HIDE."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:23 pm
hobitbob: I recently read "Hellfire Nation" and thought Morone's analysis was brilliant. Rarely does a single theory explain so much--and I don't think he stretched things much to do it.

A bit scary to think of someone like Ashcroft having existed, in one form or another, for so many years...
0 Replies