It just keeps getting worse.

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:14 am
I saw about 5 minutes of a show called Punk'd. I'm just wondering how much more crap these television stations expect us to eat. I'd like to complain to the station, but while all our stations have websites, none of them seem to have email addresses. I wonder why? Maybe they don't want to deal with the endless complaints.

Feel free to take the opportunity to list the shows that make you want to puke your guts up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,329 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:30 am
Any of the plethora of 'reality' TV shows, made with the philosophy "Get some weird/stupid/mad/angry members of the public in a certain environment and give them a camera". No class, no style, no imagination, no value, no point...

There is one just started its 2nd series here in the UK which is basically cameras in a hair-dressing salon. And people are queueing up for auditions to get their stupid haircuts done there. The customers are all giggling idiots or wannabe stars, and the staff are all fools.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:31 am
Yep, I've never seen a reality show that doesn't make me sick.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:39 am
Wilso offered this daunting task....

Quote:
Feel free to take the opportunity to list the shows that make you want to puke your guts up.

If I had the time I would start my list, but because I would like to see it to completion I will have to refrain -- it would take me the better part of a week to compile the complete list.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:40 am
Wilso - Forgive me if I'm being rude, but has anyone told you that your avatar looks remarkably like Sir Elton John? No offence meant as I assume it's you, but he's just been on the radio and it just popped into my head!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:50 am
I've been told I look like John Denver, but never Elton John. I've got lot's more hair.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:57 am
Do you get much British TV in Oz, or is most of the foreign stuff American? I'm ashamed to say that Neighbours/Home & Away/Heartbreak High is about as far as it goes here for Oz imports.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:08 am
What a pathetic selection that is.

We used to get quite a bit of British television. Mostly now it's the worst American crap they can find. You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator in society.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:08 am
I recently got access to UKTV on satellite. don't have much time to watch at the moment though.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
I am copying this from my 'Dead Like Me' thread:

"Alrighty folks....I found the transcript of the first official episode, after the pilot, here:

http://www.deadlikemeonline.net/index.php?x=transcript102.php

To get a heads up on the characters go here:

http://www.deadlikeme.tv/home.html

If you can't get the show, you can at least get a sense. I'm also hoping the pilot will be transcribed soon...it explains a lot of the symbolism."

This show does not suck, thankfully.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
Nearly all films, alot of kid's TV, alot of commedy (Friends, Seinfeld et al) and alot of drama (ER, NYPD Blue et al) is American. Don't get me wrong, some of it really good, but I can't help but think that the TV companies in our respective countries should get their fingers out of their arses and write & produce programmes with British/Aussie actors set in Britain/Australia. Then we could export them to each other, and reduce the power & influence of the over-inflated American media ever so slightly.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:52 pm
Wilso wrote:

You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator in society.

You got that right Wilso, the longest running soap in Britain is Coronation St, it's the most mind numbing crap in television history, and it's been shown 3 times a week since 1959

Viewing figures, approx ΒΌ of Britains population per show.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:04 pm
Come on Wink I do get a kick from Survivor.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:57 pm
No offense Wilso, but it would have taken a lot less effort to change the station than it would to watch, get worked up, and write a frickin' letter.

Speaking of reality shows, my roomate's coworker is on the new Survivor show. Probably be the only reason I'd watch it, if I do at all.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:02 pm
I'd watch Slappy in a reality show!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
I'm afraid I do most of my viewing on KCET/PBS High Def, HBO and some Showtime. I've been tring to give network shows a chance but they're mostly dissapointing. I thought The OC might break some new ground but it settled itself into a kind of reality soap opera routine it appears.

The best thing I've seen is the Romero flamingo group and I immediately ordered the DVD.

Also rewatching "Chicago: City of the Century" on DVD, a fascinating series covering the history of the city in the 1800's through the Great Fire and finally, the World's Fair.

The general public will always respond to the latest fad on network TV -- I can't imagine it being any different in other parts of the world.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
(It's like coming across and accident and not being able to look away with some of these shows).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:31 pm
Lightwizard, if you get Showtime (dang, I hate to keep bringing this up) have you caught Dead Like Me? If so, what do you think?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:23 pm
TV? You must be mad...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:29 pm
"Dead Like Me" has possibilities -- it's relationship to "Six Feet Under" in using death as the springboard to "affirm" life is a little suspicious. But it does have Mandy Pantinkin of "The Princess Bride" and "Sunday in the Park With George" (as George Seurat with Bernadette Peters -- just go the DVD).
0 Replies