It just keeps getting worse.

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:18 am
I did change the channel. But it doesn't stop me getting sick of the little bit I do see. Especially when all 3 (yes that's right-3) of our commercial stations seems to be having a competition as to how much crap they can serve up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:48 am
I have a television. I play video games on it, although not very often, because i usually use my pc for gaming. On a regular basis, people come around to solicit for a cable tv service. I tell them i don't watch tv. They don't believe me. For the markedly incredulous, i bring them in and show them the thick layer of dust on my tv. They generally react at that point as if they've wandered into the lair of a potential serial killer.

I'm still flabbergasted that so many people watch tv. I guess that's cause i started life with radio, and reading books. When we did get a tv, there was one channel, and there "was nothing on." Now you can get 500 channels.

And there's nothing on . . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:06 am
I use about 3 of my 40 odd satellite channels.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:23 am
How come you pay fer the satellite service, then Boss? Are there things which you find of interest on the boob tube?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:40 am
I'm a science student so discovery is useful-and interesting.

Get my Rugby League games and motorcyce racing on the sports channel.

Comedy on the comedy channel.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:49 am
We get 5 terrestrial channels in the UK, and between them there is normally something on to pass the time if needed. Mainly I watch the news & commedy or a few films. Like I said earlier, alot of the stuff is American anyway.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:42 am
Lightwizard, I love both series. Yes, the philosophy behind both is similar, but conceptually, they are different, and they both work. Also, Mandy Patinkin is very good, as always.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:43 am
Mind you, 'Dead Like Me' just started here, so I have to keep watching to see if they can keep up the momentum.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:44 am
Wilso, i do watch tv when i go to Toronto to visit my sweetypie. It's a treat, because it is infrequent, and has an aspect of novelty. The channels i am most likely to watch are Discovery, National Geographic, the Learning channel--i'm with you on that.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:51 am
I was addicted to Discovery for a long time, and then I 'discovered' that they rehashed material over and over, with very little new content. I think I saw every damn show on that network...I was looking forward to getting 'Animal Planet' when we got digital cable, but when it turned into 'all Crocodile Hunter, all the time' I got a little miffed. Discovery Civilization is interesting though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:41 am
If one can't find anything on TV with 500 plus channels, that's astonishing. There are some good programs and I'd admit it's really on about 10% of the programming and most of that is on PBS. I guess if one doesn't like classical music, Broadway shows, documentaries, opera or any of the fare on PBS, they won't find anything to watch. The recent "Chicago: City of the Century" and "Six Wives of Henry VIII" were both superb documentaries. Also, I watch the Sundance Channel and IFC (Independent Movie Channels) for some gems in American and Foreign films. The HBO series are always worth watching. Network TV is aimed at a mass audience -- some of it is entertaining.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
If one can't find anything on TV with 500 plus channels, that's astonishing. Mind blowing, to say the least. There are some greeeeat programs, and I'd gander it's really only about 10% or the programming, and most of that is on comedy central. I guess if one doesn't like South Park, Man Show, or Crank Yankers, they won't find anything to watch. The recent "Lord of the Rings/Backdoor Sluts 9" episode of South Park was a superb display of comedy genius. I also watch MTV's Jackass for some gems in self induced vomit and general mayhem. Stuff like PBS is aimed at dorks--some of it is ok.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:36 am
My weird friends are always quoting Lord of the Rings South Park -- I think I've seen that one 4 times. Japanese TV is ten shades of suck...only thing I can bring myself to watch on the telly here is the oracle that is the Simpsons, 5 nights a week (dubbed). Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
In surfing the satellite service in t.o., when at my sweetheart's house, i've found few programs worth a looksee . . . i can be entertained for a while of a weekend, but i'm certainly not going to throw away $40 or $50 a month on a cable or satellite service . . .
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:55 am
Cable is a waste of money. I don't watch a lot of tv either...pretty much comedy central and sports. I've been wasting spare time on more intellectually stimulating activities: playing playstation on my new flat screen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:57 am
Yeah, i spend most of my time on the pc playing video games . . . i also still read, at least several pages every night, and often more . . . habit of a lifetime . . .
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:36 pm
Okay, I watched "The Joe Schmoe Show" last night (for those of you in the U.S.) and it is a take-off of reality shows. The thing is that everything is staged and everyone is an actor .... except for one guy who thinks he is on a REAL reality show to win $100K. The first episode was so screwy I laughed out loud. The most interesting thing is ... it seems this guy really doesn't know!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:52 am
The HBO premier of "Carnivale" (intriguing, mysterious characters and settings in the depression years of America) and "K Street" (a part dramatized, part reality view of our political process in Washington) gives some hope that there will always be some great TV. It's in the minority but I find it's worth the cable cost just for the high definition programming which is growing much faster than color did in the Sixties.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:48 am
I saw Carnivale too and was intrigued by it. Haven't made a decision yet on whether I like it or not. I'll wait and see what the next few episodes bring. But it is refreshing to see something that is unlike everything else on TV these days.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 12:14 pm
David Susuki's new series "Sacred Balance" is stunning to watch in High Def and, as usual, the scientists brings some pretty complex concepts down to Earth:

http://www.sacredbalance.com/sb-sunonly.html
0 Replies