It just keeps getting worse.

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 06:54 pm
I saw "Punk'd" a couple of times and to tell you the truth, I thought it wasn't bad. It's an updating of "Candid Camera" which was around since way, way back.

People enjoy seeing unsuspecting people caught on camera. The host seems to be a decent improvisational actor. Great art? No. But maybe worth a chuckle if you give it a chance.

I wouldn't look for it on the TV schedule, for sure, but I wouldn't walk out of the room if someone is watching it.

As the other posters here have pointed out, there is more variety on TV than ever before. It's no use getting all worked up if something does not please you-just change the channel to something else. Sci-Fi Channel, Animal Planet, the Hitler Channel-oops, I meant the History Channel-not to mention all the rerun movies, etc. One show you don't like shouldn't make a difference.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 08:26 pm
Is "History Civilization" the channel that actually has history? The regular history channel has become the war, UFOs,and "ancient mysteries" channel! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:46 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
I saw "Punk'd" a couple of times and to tell you the truth, I thought it wasn't bad. It's an updating of "Candid Camera" which was around since way, way back.

People enjoy seeing unsuspecting people caught on camera. The host seems to be a decent improvisational actor. Great art? No. But maybe worth a chuckle if you give it a chance.

I wouldn't look for it on the TV schedule, for sure, but I wouldn't walk out of the room if someone is watching it.

As the other posters here have pointed out, there is more variety on TV than ever before. It's no use getting all worked up if something does not please you-just change the channel to something else. Sci-Fi Channel, Animal Planet, the Hitler Channel-oops, I meant the History Channel-not to mention all the rerun movies, etc. One show you don't like shouldn't make a difference.

In Oz, for those unfortunate enough not to be able to afford satellite/cable, there is exactly zero variety. We've got three commercial stations, the government sponsored broadcaster, and an ethnic based channel. The three commercial stations are the worst, because they all insist on competing directly. If you don't like lifestyle/reality programs, (as I don't) then you're really screwed because they make up about 60% of the viewing availability, and every station insists on showing them all at the same time. If one station shows lifestyle, the other two follow. When one shows news, the other two follow. When one shows comedy, the other 2 follow. It's the same with every genre, which means there's no variety at all.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:01 am
The reality tv shows are nonsense in my opinion and I happen to have liked John Denver :-D
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:40 am
Wilso:

Well, in that case your position is more understandable. I don't think too much of reality shows as a group. I can watch an episode of Survivor now and then, and I find Blind Date frequently fun. But for the rest of them-no thanks.

Having only three channels and each of them showing their own reality show would be something to howl about.

"Survivor" is probably the only real hit on the reality shows. The rest are on because the sets are cheap and non-actors will accept minimal amounts to be on camera. Contrast this with real sets, professional writing staffs and actors who actually expect to get paid for being on camera, and it becomes clear why these shows are pushed in such numbers. Cheap overhead=high profits.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 12:45 am
kelticwizard wrote:

Having only three channels and each of them showing their own reality show would be something to howl about.

I love to see understanding dawn. Very Happy You've got it exactly right.
0 Replies