Hachiko and other loyal pets

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:37 pm
As a kid I always liked the story of Hachiko, a Japanese dog that used to meet its owner at the train station every day. His owner died one day but the dog kept going to the station every day at the time the train would arrive. People finally figured out he was waiting for his dead master and nicknamed him the "faithful dog". He did this for about 10 years(!) and there is now a statue of him at Shibuya station where he used to wait.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Hachiko-Shibuya.jpg

What reminded me of this story I first heard in my childhood was coming across this picture that captured a similar bond in one image:

http://i3.tinypic.com/62n4i02.jpg

Know of any other examples of animal loyalty to their owners?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070917/popchill/fry_l.jpg

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:11 pm
I've read about Hachiko many decades ago, and forgotten about him until I saw your thread. Thanks for the reminder; I'm sure many will have similar type of stories to share.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
when my dog was about 6 months old she did something pretty well in my opinion incredible.

anyway i was working 12 hour and 16 hour shifts with one day off a week, but i had insonmia. so i would be up 2 days then sleep lik 5 hours, that went on for 3 months, then i started not being able to sleep for like 3 days at a time, work, come home, lay in bed 4 hours, get up work etc..

anyways one stretch i was up for like 5 days straight, and i couldnt handle it anymore..

i had tried to hang myself, i shut my closet door, and i blacked out.

when i woke up like 12 hours later my dog had chewed thru the cord and she was wrapped around my head, like she was protecting me. i dont understand how she opened the closet door, its a turn style one like on your front door.

I thought it was pretty amazing.

And no i dont need sympathy. ty.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:46 pm
@OGIONIK,
Ima do the short version of this story, and he dint save nobody but hisownself...

I was made to leave Stink in a "kennel" in Tennessee whilst I traveled to Disneyfornia.

Said kennel decided after two days, NO DICE...(several well deserving folks mighta got bit...)

next day, Dink hits the forest. (4th of July weekend in Hillbillyland...)

He lived 2 weeks on his own self with the critters of the forest, and straggled his ass home about an hour after I landed...

(he got no front claws, and he now HATES fireworks...)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
These pictures are equally heart wrenching. A dog mourning his friend
who got hit by a car.
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6466/picture2tg2.png
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5396/picture3ov5.png
Rockhead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
your new avatar is much less snarly, my dear...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:51 pm
Dog stays by dead owner's side for 6 weeks

August 13, 2008

In an amazing display of loyalty, a German shepherd stayed at his master's side for six weeks after the man killed himself in Colorado.

The dog, Cash, was found alive Sunday at Pawnee National Grassland next to his master, Jake Baysinger, 25, of La Salle, Colo.

There was evidence the dog ate mice and rabbits.

Sara Baysinger, the victim's wife, took Cash home with her from the Humane Society of Weld County shelter.

''At least we know it's over now,'' Sara Baysinger said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/1104704,CST-NWS-dog13.article
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:50 am
My cat, Oscar, nearly died after his sister was killed.

He sat in a corner, howling, if he wasn't on my lap.

He barely ate...and only if I hand fed him.....

This went on for a month, when a new kitten arrived. He still used to try and play the old games he and his sister used to play together, though, for the next 13 years...and cried when Miranda didn't know them.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
I also heard that elephants mourn the death of a family member or "friend."
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:08 pm
This kind of loyalty is one of the most amazing things that animals possess.

My cousin had to put down one of her two cats. She took the other cat to her son's house so that he wouldn't see his friend being taken to the car.

After Lovey (the cat's name) was dead, my cousin brought her home and buried her in the back yard, making sure that the grave was deep enough as to not leave any clue that Lovey was there.

The other cat was brought home and as soon as he went out, he went directly to the grave and started to howl, almost screaming.

These stories seem unbelievable until one witnessess an incident such as this. They are amazing and beautiful.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:02 am
Dogs greeting soldier after 14 months away in Iraq:

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks, cyclo. I don't know if anyone else understands the image, but that's immediately what I thought of.

"I'm walking on sunshine..."
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:19 am
@Nick Ashley,
Got the backstory?
Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There was an entire Futurama episode that had to have been based on the story you posted.

In case you don't know the premise of futurama, the main character (Fry) gets cryogenicly frozen, and wakes up in the future. In one episode they go to a museum, where Fry finds a fossil of his old dog. He plans on essentially bringing him back to life using one of the professors inventions, but eventually decides against it, because the dog was young, and would have had a long full life after Fry left. Fry figures the dog probably wouldn't even remember him.

The episode ends as a flashback of Fry's dog, waiting outside the pizza place where Fry used to work, waiting for him to return. It shows him sitting there as seasons change, and years pass by. The dog grows old and dies on the same spot on the sidewalk where Fry left him, waiting for Fry's return.

The "I'm waling on sunshine" line is because the episode shows clips of when Fry lived in present day with the dog, and the Fry would always sing "I'm walking on sunshine" while his dog would howl along with him.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:03 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Ah yes, now I remember the episode. I was trying to search for a Simpsons memory.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ah Ha! Horrible quality.. but I finally found a clip.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:07 pm
@OGIONIK,
Your story reminds me of so many stories about people who survive the most drastic of accidents or natural disaster - and survive.

My story isn't as dramatic as yours, but while still five years old, my older brother and a friend went to the Sacramento River to play. I slipped into the river, and our friend pulled me out before the water drift pulled me away.

I'm now 73 years old, and alive, just because of that heroic act of another young kid - about the same age as us.

Having lived in Sacramento until my junior year in high school, we have heard often about people drowning in the river.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The dogs wagging their tails also adds to their joy and happiness.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
Wasn't he part of one espisode of the Amazing Race - I think they had to find the statue?
0 Replies