So I hear I have a new niece that no one told me about

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
My daughter told me this weekend that my SIL had a baby. No one told me a thing. Not my mother or brother (the dad). I found out through my daughter a while ago that my SIL was expecting, but no one else told. Now I hear she is born.

My SIL was cheating on my brother about a year ago and wasn’t going to stop (at least what I had heard). They finally decided to get together and since then my SIL has not attended any family type things (Christmas, birthdays, Thanksgiving). Either they went away during that time or else only my brother would come with the kids.

And since my mom only tells me stuff when she absolutely has to, I only found out the exact details through my daughters.

What should I do? Send a card? They are moving to Canada this weekend " again I just found out through my daughter on the phone today. I did know they were thinking of moving, but this is the first that I knew exactly when they were moving. Maybe if I send a card to their old address it will get forwarded.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 8
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
@Linkat,
"They finally decided to get together"

Who's that?
Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:33 pm
@DrewDad,
I should have said my brother and wife decided to get back together.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:59 pm
@Linkat,
Do the gracious thing, Linkat, and send a card congratulating them to
the new family addition. A small gift would be nice, but isn't necessary
given the circumstances you found out. Of course, it's not the babies fault,
so a gift for her would be nice...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
I take it you had a shake-up with SIL.

If your brother has decided to look past her indiscretions, then there's not much you can do other than be polite. And unfortunately they are the gatekeepers to your niece.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:50 am
@DrewDad,
Oh I personally do not hold anything against her - like you said it is between my brother and her. I am actually happy they worked it out as it was difficult for the kids for a while.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:52 am
@Linkat,
Now I feel like an a$$. Fortunately my husband bumped into my brother yesterday. Seems my daughter was incorrect - her cousin was teasing her or something and said the baby was born - but wasn't. She actually isn't due for a couple of months. (I thought it was quicker than I expected).
sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:00 am
@Linkat,
Darn kids.

Are they actually moving to Canada this weekend?
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@sozobe,
Yes - I did know a bit more ahead of time for that though. Kind of an odd situation. Mom and kids are moving, but my brother is staying behind for a bit. Don't know if he is trying to sell the house or if they will foreclose as they owe more than it is worth - they had a buyer but the bank wouldn't forgive the difference. I know other people in a similar issue.

So yes they are moving this weekend.
0 Replies