women! Let's get back on track!

EileenM

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 03:47 pm
After reading and participating in many sad posts over the pasts few weeks, I've decided that we need an empowering topic.
We can all share how we dealt with pain.
This is mainly for women because of all the recent crap Tinan has had to go through... but men also go through **** so feel free to join in..

After a mishap last night, I realized that everyone of us deserves respect and love. As women we forget to think of ourselves, we blindly 'nurture' everyone who 'needs' us because that is how women have been used for ever. We feel the need to constantly appologize and make up for our precense in this world. Think back at how many times you have said sorry in a day: After someone bumped into YOU, when you have an opinion, a waiter brings you the wrong drink and YOU appologize. Even in the begining when 'Eve' gives 'Adam' the apple: we learn that we should suffer because women are the fall of "man"kind.

But we are so much more than that! We should stand up for ourselves and take control of our lives. No one benefits if we are constantly putting our selves down or allowing others to put us down. Stop feeling guilty. our children learn from what they see, don't let them grow up with the self image that you have for yourself... You would want better for them, so why don't you make it better for yourself.

We've often lost our self image, our self determination, our self love. So lets talk about how to find it. share your empowering stories.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 20
No top replies

EileenM

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:07 pm
And just to point out, I'm not trying to sound anti men or say that 'all women are doormats'... I'm just trying to hold our heads up high.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:16 pm
I couple of years ago I went into a building supply store, dragging my two little kids to buy sand to make to make a brick walkway/patio in my yard.

Man: May I help you?

Me: I need sand.

Man: We don't carry sandbox sand.

Me: Sand to lay brick on. I'm building a patio.

He: Oh.

I bought the sand anyway and went home and layed the patio. Should I have said something? I was already empowered because I know I can lay brick.!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:28 pm
I was in the company of a young woman just last evening and was surprised at how meek and timid she was with her man. Couldn't seem to utter a declarative sentence.
Women are still raised to be weak and dependent. Not just on men but anyone who's willing to "take over". I was a latchkey kid, my mother worked and I've always felt more empowered than deprived by that. I was priviledged to watch a woman take care of herself and her children and raise me to always be able to do for myself and not depend on anyone else to do for me. Self-sufficiency has its rewards, let me tell you, and she showed me by example that you may not be living under the circumstances that you desire but you can still handle whatever comes your way and make it better. I wouldn't trade the streak of independence she instilled in me for anything in the world.
It's got to start from the womb. Let's start by dumping the 'someday my prince will come" fairy tales.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:28 pm
heard a great story in an interview w/ Justice Sandra Day O'Conner. She had just been hired by a major law firm. Went to a meeting with her first client. The client gave her a quick glance and said 'Honey, could you get me a cup of coffee?'

The nearest coffee was down the elevator and across the street.

She fumed all the way there, and thought all the way back.

When she got back and gave the guy his coffee he said 'How much do I owe you?'

'We'll bill you...'

'No, really, how much?'

'1/2 hour at $200 per hour. I'm your attorney...'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:42 pm
Smiling.

Happens sometimes on our work sites. People mistake who ok's payment.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:26 pm
My husband and I bought an older home that needed a great deal of work. As a first-time homeowner, I knew very little about dealing with contractors, and frankly, I was intimidated by them. However, since I was working from home and my husband wasn't, I got to talk to all the workers.

We must have hired the world's worst roofing company to replace our roof after a big hail storm. They backed over one of my brick planters, shattering it. They left huge gouges in my lawn after promising not to let their truck drive on the grass. And they weren't picking up the old nails, either. I meekly told them about all these things when they happened, but they didn't fix a single thing. Probably because they knew I was afraid to push it.

And I probably would have let all those things go, but one day I noticed they weren't nailing up the new shingles in level lines. They had the audacity to tell me it was just fine. I brought it up again, even more gently, and they denied it again. Finally, I insisted that the foreman cross the street with me and look at it from there. "But look at the guttering," he said, "it's even with that." Well, even I knew that guttering runs downhill!!!

That got me a little twisted. I said, "No, it isn't supposed to follow the guttering. It's not level, and you're going to have a big problem when you reach the top row. It's gonna look awful."

"What do you expect me to do, lady? Take it all back down and start over?" the foreman laughed. Laughed!

"Yes," I said simply, and walked back into the house.

A few minutes later, he knocked on the door. "We're about finished for today, ma'am. We'll be back in the morning. But you might want to talk to your husband tonight about the shingles and see what he wants us to do."

Okay, that was it. Now I was MAD.

I took a deep breath and said, "Well, if you look at your contract, you'll see that I am the one who signed it, and I'm the one who's gonna be writing your check, so I think you probably just need to worry about I want."

He apologized and left very quickly.

My husband laughed like a madman when I told him about it that evening. The next morning, the roofers arrived as he was leaving for work. They tried to talk to him about it, but he refused to get into it with them.

So they started redoing the roof. I also made them pick up all their old nails before they left. AND I made them take $250 off their bill for new sod and repairs to the brick planter they broke.

I can honestly say I've never let a contractor intimidate me since.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:03 am
Great stories. I'll be back with one myself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:44 am
Ooooweee! You GO, Eva!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:18 am
EVA--Hurray!!

Sandra O'Conner's story was superb, too.

I'm still moderately miffed that strong women are referred to as 'bitches'. Where's the comparable term for men?

Dammit.
0 Replies

Shalinara

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:28 am
We've been doing some major renovations in our victorian home recently. Okay, so I've been doing some major renovations in our victorian home recently. He can do anything with a computer, but don't give the poor boy a hammer.

Personally, I enjoy the attention that I get when I go into a hardware store or lumber supply. I sometimes go so far as to pretend that I have no idea what I'm doing. Then, when in the middle of their "simplified" (dumbed down, more like) explanation of a product or technique, I lay the goods on them and make sure they know that I'm just as (if not more) knowledgeable than they are. Puts me in a good mood every time.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
I hear you women. Sometimes when getting facials and pedicures, the women will start explaining things to me like I don't know what a cuticle is. Then I bust it on 'em: exfoliation, firming creams, ect. They don't know what to do.

High fives around the room.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:34 pm
Gotta admit, I never pictured you getting facials and pedicures. Just goes to show you...just when you think you've got someone pegged....

So.

What's the best product out there for exfoliation, Scooby Doo? I mean, Slappy? I'm looking for something that works on elbows and knees.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
Just kidding. I beat guys up who get that stuff.

Exfoliation? Who typed that? What's that?

GO PATS!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:15 pm
At a place like Home Depot, one upmanship re salesperson is easypickings...
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:45 pm
K these are great stories... how about some on how you've bounced back from sad times?.. How you made over yourself and got your self esteem back?
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:57 am
ANYONE?? come on. we all go through changes, I want/need some inspiration that things get better... that we do survive. How do you deal with loses, pains? how do you 'regain' yourself??

AND!!! Where is tinan333 ? anyone here from her lately?
0 Replies

ionlyluvshane

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:48 pm
well im a blond. yall know about the blond jokes. lol, well i had to ask a question about something i wasnt understanding in my algebra 2 class.

me: i dont understand this problem

teacher: well im surprised you dont understand all of them seeing that you hair is blond.

is that just totally wrong?! my god ive never felt so insulted in my life.
0 Replies

bigun

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:12 am
Comment on the Sandbox Sand:

You did your part, you did say something, maybe next time he'll ask instead of assume.

Good job!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:18 am
ionlyluvshane wrote:
well im a blond. yall know about the blond jokes. lol, well i had to ask a question about something i wasnt understanding in my algebra 2 class.

me: i dont understand this problem

teacher: well im surprised you dont understand all of them seeing that you hair is blond.

is that just totally wrong?! my god ive never felt so insulted in my life.

For a teacher to say that to a student is way out of line and there is no excuse for it.
0 Replies