Thumbing up and down: Abuse already?

Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:42 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
Arrg. Complicating the issue with this silly bug isn't fair.

You're right. It wasn't fair, and I apologize for it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
raven as the social engineer here surely is aware of this, if he were not he would be incompetent at his job. It is very clear what was wanted.

Yes, it is....to almost everybody except you....
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:53 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
The thumb is a way to bypass/ignore the thread. It makes it disappear from your view henceforth, so you dont have to scroll past and consciously ignore it over and over and over again. You dont like it, arent interested, ok - thumbs down and you never have to think about it again.

Its just a tool to make it easier to navigate the site, without having to wade through the same clutter of threads that dont interest you every time again. Its not an insult, and only carries that kind of emotional load if you let it.

let me answer that as simply as i can : that's just a little too much authoritarian to me .
just my opinion , of course .
hbg

(btw it's my unauthorized emphasis)
Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:59 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
let me answer that as simply as i can : that's just a little too much authoritarian to me .

No it isn't, because every user has their own view of the site, and your authority to do what nimh described extends to yours only. You don't have the authority to bar other people from looking at the threads and posts you're giving the thumbs down.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
@Craven de Kere,
So now I've moved along to page five and red grey and green thumb signs..

how does this work for the color blind population, which might not be all that small? (now that I've asked the question, I'll have to research..)
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
@Thomas,
thomas :
i know what you are saying . still , it makes ME a bit uneasy - but that's just a personal thing .
to me it looks like asking for tailor-made news - i don't even want to hear the other side/news ... ...
i'm sure other users have been waiting for it for a long time .

i was only expressing my opinion - nothing else .
(i will never be allowed to make any rules for a2k - no doubt a good thing !) .
hbg
wandeljw

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
Going around voting down game threads seems to be a very petty thing to do.

I have no idea whether voting will really affect the site.

I give thumbs up to individual posts because it saves me from posting a one-word post ("cool" or "LOL").
Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
i was only expressing my opinion - nothing else .

Sure, no problem. I just had the impression -- the false impression it turns out -- that your opinion was based on misunderstandings of facts.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:21 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

It would be, if the main purpose of voting was to inform other members about the quality of the thread. But it's not. The main purpose of voting is to organize your view of the side for yourself. Reputations of users, and vote totals of threads, are merely side effects. I don't know if I like these side effects. But, like every user, I can easily work around them if I don't.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:57 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb? Three. One to set fire to the giraffe and two to fill the bath full of clocks.

Now THAT's a sig line!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Could we have a readily accessible list of those who succeed in personalizing A2K the way they want it and then we can avoid them.

That's one of the funniest self-contradictions I have seen in a long time, even for Spendi!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:34 pm
I actually like this feature, because I don't have to view some people's posts that are always elementary in the way they create questions about my posts that was never intended or seen by others as such. I don't mind challenges that directly questions my statements that I find reasonable concerning the issue being discussed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:44 pm
wandeljw writes
Quote:

It feels that way to me too even understanding that it isn't done to disapprove of the thread but rather to just get it out of the way. On the old site, every now and then, in a moment of weakness you make one post on those threads and then there it is at the top of 'your posts' forever after even though you haven't opened the thread in years.

I would prefer an 'unsubscribe' feature that would simply take it out of your tags or something, but the powers that be have overruled me for sure--and justifiably so. I am so grateful to have the site, I can put up with a little emotional discomfort. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:15 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Could we have a readily accessible list of those who succeed in personalizing A2K the way they want it and then we can avoid them.

I've set it up the way I want. Avoid me.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:22 am
@roger,
Notice: the "why did they ruin this site" thread has been disappeared
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:24 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Notice: the "why did they ruin this site" thread has been disappeared

Liar: http://able2know.org/topic/120928-1
roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:29 am
@hawkeye10,
No, it hasn't disappeared for me. I've set my preferences to -15. Your preference may be different.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:30 am
@Craven de Kere,
I think he's talking about the other Why did they ruin this site? thread...

Very Happy
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:33 am
@old europe,
ya, last post was
"Re: hawkeye10(Post 3361725)
I should add that the ignore function is bad for discourse for much the same reason that the voting is. If people use ignore to ignore smart people who's views make them uncomfortable then a2k has been diminished. If someone makes others uncomfortable then there is something going on that needs to be explored. Facilitating aversion to figuring out why something is uncomfortable is a disservice to the membership. Ignorance of ourselves is not bliss. Ignoring trolls is a smart move, but one does not need an ignore function to do this....again, using technology to allow members to get away with not learning to do things for themselves is a disservice to the membership.

I am well aware that many members have said that they want such functions, but the social engineers at a2k should have taken notice of the thread we had going a while back about books on studies that go into great detail about how we humans are notoriously bad about predicting what will make us happy. Only fools give the people what they say they want and expect that everyone will live happily ever after. "

does not show on last post order, nor google site search
roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:44 am
@old europe,
Hey, that's right. Where'd it go?