Thumbing up and down: Abuse already?

Below viewing threshold (view)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:35 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Are you equally concerned about the word games threads disappearing? What about spam? Is it cause for concern when spam disappears? Do you have a "right to ignore" a thread, merely because it's obviously spam? Does the spammer not have a "right to be heard"?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
With any luck; we're hearing the death throws of a dying, disgusting troll.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:40 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Yeah well--they might be dying but they are not disgusting and when they are dead you are too.

You should bear that in mind before you get all pompous Bill.
Below viewing threshold (view)
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm
@spendius,
Smalholdings in Ireland would be prime real estate I would think.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
most forum members who want the same kind of view they had before should use "all time" and "new posts".
This is where I ended up for the time being. I think it might make the transition a little smoother for some if you defaulted these settings or bannered this little piece of advice for a while; just so current members who are popping in for the first time have a clue what's going on and where to go.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
maybe it is time for a list of all of us members whom you have decided are trolls. I will assume that your desire is to rid a2k of trolls, and if we could have an idea of your definition of troll we would know haw far you intend to go to limit speech and discourse so that you can have your wish.

Be careful though, a Disney theme park is fine for a few days, but as the corporation discovered when they tried to get onto designing and owning planned communities very few people enjoy living in a Disneyfied world full time.
If Craven wanted you gone (I DO), and was willing to alter his MO to accomplish it; your trolling ass would vanish in the blink of an eye. (The fact that you're still here makes this type of accusation absurd.) In the 5 years I've been coming here; I've never seen him do that even once... though the Mod staff have disappeared a few. Craven's different: he just obliterates your sorry excuses for arguments when and if he feels like wasting his time.
Craven may not like you; but he didn't vote you down 500 times in two days himself. You will disappear into irrelevance because NO ONE wants to read your disgusting opinions. NOT because Craven doesn't.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:13 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Yeah well--they might be dying but they are not disgusting and when they are dead you are too.

You should bear that in mind before you get all pompous Bill.
You misunderstand, Spendy. I wasn't suggesting that every troll is disgusting. Just that the rapist is. Idea
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:16 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Just imagine folks--wall to wall Occom Bills.
Laughing I don't know that I am any more popular than you are, Spendi. But there can be little doubt about the consensus feelings toward the rapist.
yitwail

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:27 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
your reference made me try out the new Question Search button. it locates threads, but not the actual post, so had to read the pages til i got the one i wanted, but it's better than no search.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:39 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I always knew that you are very invested in your hate Bill, but pushing a hand 500 times because you think is will hurt me is a bit off the charts even for you. What I don't get is why when craven talks about getting rid of the ugly around here he is talking about trouble makers like me who happen to object to some majority beliefs at a2k, but he is not talking about the haters (so far as I know, because he has only publicly called out the trouble makers-trolls in his vocab)....

when the haters are made to behave a2k will become a much more classy place.

You posts do beg the question about why you are not using the ignoring button on me. Kindly go someplace else with your hate, and leave me alone. If you need a button to get it done then please use it.
maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:56 pm
@spendius,
Spendius, I was thinking almost the same thing.

"If you don't like it, then make your own site" = garbage!

You hear similar arguments in the political forum all the time and they are regularly laughed at. I was surprise to hear DD say that....
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye, I've never talked about getting rid of you. I've expressed that I don't get why you persist in arguing in a place where "the regime" made it "like China" and "impossible" to debate.

I, for one, don't mind having you around. I like to debate when I have the time and tend to disagree with you. Since you are a stubborn guy who likes debate it's something that can be fun every now and then if I want to waste my time.

I also don't really get why people get so worked up about you. I think you like it, and use it to validate your views when people overreact to you. For example, I think your views on rape are odd and that you go out of your way to imply that they may even be worse, but I didn't see you ever say anything to justify someone calling you a rapist. I do think you get off on this delusional notion that your reason is right and merely "unpopular" like some unappreciated genius in the wrong century and wonder why people give you exactly that kind of over the top reaction. You like stirring up a mob mentality because the stupid (and especially emotional) reactions you get make you think your positions are more reasonable and logical.

I've seen it before, it's a very silly reverse appeal to popularity fallacy in which you seem to take validation of some kind from how unpopular you are and how unreasonable others take your controversially couched bait. Thing is, popular doesn't mean right, but unpopular certainly doesn't either and the validation you get out of dissent from the masses you like to think are too illogical, emotional or culturally blind is self-serving delusion. But it's your gig and well if they don't bring the pitch forks you don't feel as validated. You like feeling surrounded by a mob mentality because you feel more reasonable and set about to do it.

But that's your problem. I have no qualm with unpopular opinions, no qualm with arguing with the likes of you, and no real feelings either way if you stay. Nothing personal, but you neither upset me by your views nor engage me with your debate (due to that whole not debating well thing).

Now your forum martyr act, that's just lame and does annoy me, but I as soon as things settle down I can go back to not even responding (I don't tend to be around the forums answering site complaints and questions due to the desire to have a life).

So you can also go about and debate just fine, and you know it. But you may have less of an ability to stir up a teeming mob of people angry at you. But that doesn't make debate impossible as you claim. That wasn't debate, that was just trolling for a negative response. Now you'll have to find other ways to get your kicks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You posts do beg the question about why you are not using the ignoring button on me. Kindly go someplace else with your hate, and leave me alone. If you need a button to get it done then please use it.

Exactly! Bill going around calling you a rapist only makes Bill look bad and he should just ignore you instead of trying to irritate you with name calling that you thrive on.

If he'd stop his ad hominems against you, you'd have a harder time writing off his disagreements with your opinions as emotive logical fallacies. And you'd have more time to actually discuss things instead of toy with the mob you stirred up.

But that all really depends on whether you want to discuss things, or toy with the mob like I suspect.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
I'm remembering what a ego inflater being on Richard Nixon's enemies list was for many journalists.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:30 pm
@Craven de Kere,
the fact that I am asking him to go away pretty much destroys your argument that I thrive on his attacks of hate, but I do see some upside potential of the ignore function

I have serious problems with this world that you have created Craven, if you had allowed users the option of opting out of all hands and numbers in our experience of a2k I would have far less problem with it (I mostly like the fluid tab concept), but at the end of the day i am willing to give it time to see what happens. I still am very convinced that you have not supported minority rights, and that the community will be weaker because of it, but ....
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the fact that I am asking him to go away pretty much destroys your argument that I thrive on his attacks of hate
It isn't my attacks that you thrive on. You thrive on bullying the ladies around here with your demented misogyny. You thrive on being labeled by people who's arguments you fancy yourself besting (not that you've ever once done so.) But no, you don't thrive on people who call a spade a spade, and are more than willing to spit on a bully (even if Craven thinks that makes them me look bad.) For as long as you continue to promote YOUR demented hatred; I'll continue illustrating your misogyny at my leisure. Feel free ignore me; but you should realize by now that crying to Craven will not clear your path to resume disgusting people with impunity... let alone have him revert the rules to force the innocent to read your bile.
Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:02 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Occom Bill wrote:
For as long as you continue to promote YOUR demented hatred; I'll continue illustrating your misogyny at my leisure.

Needless to say, you are perfectly within your rights to do that. Still, you'd do me a favor if you didn't. Hawkeye was the second user I put on my "ignore" list. He is now peacefully absent from my A2K world. The only thing that continues to disturb this aspect of my peace is people who respond to him. I recognize that you have no obligation to help me keep my world peaceful, but, to repeat, you'd do me a big favor if you did.

This, of course, is just my personal, ever so humble opinion.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Spendius, I was thinking almost the same thing.

"If you don't like it, then make your own site" = garbage!

You hear similar arguments in the political forum all the time and they are regularly laughed at. I was surprise to hear DD say that....

Why?

The web is wonderfully democratic. You actually can create your own site.

Craven's put in the time and effort to create this site; like I've said before, it's his sandbox and we're allowed to play in it. "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The peoples of the East and the experts in the West who study them will be very interested to learn that all motivations are personal for everybody. So to will all who study the field of personal identity, who have till now been sure that identifying as an individual more strongly than identifying with the collective is a function of cultural choice.

Each person's motivation is personal to that one person. Pretty fundamental, really.

Certainly cultures (groups of individuals with similar interests) seek to sway and or indoctrinate people, and I would certainly agree that people only have the choices of which they are aware. This does not change the fact that your motivations are personal to you, and my motivations are personal to me.
0 Replies