Why did they ruin this site?

contrex

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:57 pm
It was OK before, I found it pretty easy to use, there was NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, but they still decided to revamp it! Am I the only one who hates the new site? I may just quit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,239 • Replies: 57

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:30 am
@contrex,
Oh, you poor thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:43 am
@ossobuco,
OK, replying to Contrex and many gripers...

Did you not read any of the threads over almost two years about incipient changes?

Did you not read the threads explaining a lot of this a while before the changes?

Have you not read the threads (see The Red Line at the Top of the Page) since this has started to help you along?

not to be hostile, I get it that this is all strange, but the accusatory stuff (like Why Did They Ruin This Site), is getting annoying.

Please read before you scream.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 04:29 am
Settle down Contrex.

Relax.

You'll likely find you enjoy it soon.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 04:30 am
I'm still looking for my avatar.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 03:56 pm
@contrex,
You're not the only one, pal. I have, for all intents and purposes. abandoned this abomination masquerading as a site. Oh, I'll not cancel my membership and will, from time to time, browse. But I have no intention of staying actively involved in any way. This is the pits. When it stops being fun and becomes a chore, why do it? I might as well go and play in MySpace. Same level of intellectual challenge.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, yes, I read all of those things you mention. What does that have to do with the fact that this new site, plain and simple, sucks?

Not to be hostile or anything, but I'm getting annoyed with otherwise intelligent people defending this abomination.
djjd62

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 03:59 pm
the site's new

this crap's old

deal with it or don't

problem solved
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 04:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Heaven forbid they don't agree with you! The shame!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The fact that you are having trouble navigating the site is no reflection on the intelligence of people who are accepting of change and make an effort to learn new things.

You may have the opinion that it sucks, but some are more tolerant and are giving the site a chance. I was not enthralled with some of the changes, but I think that I am intelligent enough and tolerant enough to figure it out without popping a vein.

Have some patience and give it a chance. You will likely come to love it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Waaaaaaah!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:28 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Well, Merry, I sincerely hope you change your mind.

I have loved interacting with you over the years, and greatly regretted your reduced interaction on the old A2k.

I know we have our little email group, but it is NOT the same.

If it annoys you I won't defend the site, but I will ask that you keep coming bavk here...I really think that you will adapt and find you can navigate it just as easily as Abuzz and the previous A2k....and keep contact just as easily with your friends as ever.

And we would miss you awfully.

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:38 pm
@dlowan,
i have often enough stated that "time doesn't stand still " and argued that we all need to change with the times - particulaly when it comes to some of my pet themes such as pollution , climate change and assorted topics .
i guess it's payback time : i'll have to change , adjust , learn new things , mess up and clean up ... ...
i am assuming that in a few months things will get sorted out and will have improved vastly - in the meantime " GRIN AND BEAR IT !
i've been through numerous "system changes and IMPROVEMENTS (!!!)" in my working life and know that time is the great healer - as usual .
hbg

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
I'm still looking for my avatar.
That toilet seat suits you just fine.
Chumly

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:13 pm
Is there some way to:
- get more text on the screen
- get rid of all the garbage at the top
- get rid of all the garbage at the bottom
- get rid of all the empty space on the side, within the post itself, etc
- reduce the size of the green over-sized radio buttons
- reduce the size of the blue over-sized banner above each post
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:55 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Post 3360568 has been up for over an hour and yet it is still rated a 1 score, so much for Craven's theory that assaulting a fellow member would provoke a negative popularity score. But Bill can be as abusive as he wants to be and he gets a pass from a2k members, always has. It was only the mods who ever took issue with him by removing his worst attack posts ( a few directed at me I noticed pulled with in a minute).
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
if someone's on ignore, you can't tell they've been an idiot in a particular instance
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you still whining or whining again?
old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Just out of curiosity: you're not following particular members around, checking on their posts to see whether or not they've been voted up or down by the community?

'Cause that would be a bit, you know, weird....
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:02 pm
@DrewDad,
I beg to differ...in my opinion Craven being wrong about how the feature will be used is a serious subject worthy of being pointed out. As always, you are free to disagree, but I refuse to stoop to your level by calling you names.