Thumbing up and down: Abuse already?

old europe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:52 am
@roger,
If you didn't vote it down, and if you didn't set your topic_threshold to -5, it should still be on the first page when sorted by "New Posts".
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:59 am
@old europe,
Ahh, maybe. But still not true.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:59 am
@old europe,
should be but is not...a glitch maybe. Threads that question the wisdom of the regime disappearing is a cause for concern....answers are required.
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
humans are notoriously bad about predicting what will make us happy

Excluding yourself?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:02 am
@hawkeye10,
"The regime"? You are so silly. There was a bug with the preference discovered and it was on Nick's to do list to fix. Having a bug doesn't say much about our "wisdom" or make us a "regime". It's just a bug and I had been clear that we were launching on a budget and that there would be bugs.

We'll fix them, and they have precious little to do with your argument (except that you don't really have an argument so anything negative fits).
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
should be but is not...a glitch maybe. Threads that question the wisdom of the regime disappearing is a cause for concern....answers are required.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Are you equally concerned about the word games threads disappearing? What about spam? Is it cause for concern when spam disappears? Do you have a "right to ignore" a thread, merely because it's obviously spam? Does the spammer not have a "right to be heard"?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:16 am
@old europe,
it was advertised that only spam and illegal content would be removed. If the regime is not keeping its word then you should be concerned. If the thread exists on the servers but is not visible on any search, as appears to be the case, then content is being withheld from view. If the rules are changed with out giving notice to the membership then trust has been violated. I don't know what has happened, be we deserve answers.
old europe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:17 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
it was advertised that only spam and illegal content would be removed.

Where exactly? A link would be appreciated...

Quote:
I don't know what has happened, be we deserve answers.

Didn't you just post to the thread? How did you find it?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
it was advertised that only spam and illegal content would be removed

So far only spam has been removed. You are lying when you say anything else has been.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If the regime is not keeping its word then you should be concerned.

But you shouldn't just make up lies to try to make this point, it has to actually happen first.
Quote:

If the thread exists on the servers but is not visible on any search, as appears to be the case, then content is being withheld from view.

It's there, you just seem incapable of realizing it. And that's not "the regime's" fault. After all, you can't fault "the regime" (love it! helps highlight how little sense you make) for your inadequacies at the mouse.

Quote:
If the rules are changed with out giving notice to the membership then trust has been violated. I don't know what has happened, be we deserve answers.

You've been given answers, you ignore them and move to a new thread and make the same false statements over again.

The thread was not touched by any moderators, it's voted down and less prominent but still accessible to any member from their topic lists. You are complaining that the community doesn't like you. That's fine but don't blame "the regime" because we have nothing to do with that.

Your unpopularity has nothing at all to do with me. Bear it on your own.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:43 am
@Craven de Kere,
What does it mean that the Seven Letter word Game has a minus 6. Does it mean that six people have voted it down or that the balance of votes is for six down.

Why would anybody want to vote that game down? Why can't they simply not play it if they are not up to it?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:22 am
@Craven de Kere,
Craven-

The last post on my Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers thread was on July 29th 2006. It folded due to blatham's sudden illness, in the main.

I just tried reviving it by a post. If that post does not go to the top of the page when Philosophy is selected, as it used to do, and doesn't now, how would other members know I had reactivated it? It has gone to the top of my "My posts" page but nobody will see that I assume.
nimh

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:55 am
@spendius,
Quote:
What does it mean that the Seven Letter word Game has a minus 6. Does it mean that six people have voted it down or that the balance of votes is for six down.

The balance of votes is six down.

Quote:
Why would anybody want to vote that game down?

If they vote it down, it collapses out of view for them. That's useful if you dont want to wade through an endless number of word game threads you're not interested in every time you come to the site. Vote it down, and you wont ever see it anymore. Vote down enough threads you're not personally interested in, and you will find it much easier to find threads you're interested in.

Others who are interested in word games, meanwhile, can just vote those ones up, and they will always appear for them. Or they can go to their preferences and set them so that no topic ever disappears from their sight. Or they can click the tag Trivia and word games, and see all their beloved word games at once.

Quote:
It has gone to the top of my "My posts" page but nobody will see that I assume.

No, but anyone who goes to the homepage can just use those practical little options at the top of the topic listing to switch from "Most votes" to "New posts", and/or from "Day" to "All Time", and presto! There it is. And to make it easy for them, once they've changed those settings, they will automatically stay that way for them, until they decide to change them again.

E.g., my standards are set to "All Time" and "New Posts". So if I go to the Philosophy and Debate tag as you suggest, the very top post there is - presto! - your Cambridge budget scoffers thread.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:42 am
@nimh,
Thanks nimh.

I'll try it with a picture posting game.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:48 am
@spendius,
It worked nimh.

I presume I can now go on the Trivia home page and just knock out all the games I used to knock out by simply scrolling past them. It doesn't seem much of a gain though.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
@old europe,
I have edited my post but this is my old post (e. g. old europe is not misquoting me). And Craven has put out a definitive piece on tagging. My apologies for any misleading I have done in this area.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:05 am
@Craven de Kere,
I just did a test post on the "why did they ruin this site" thread, and again when I then do a last post search it does not show. It is rated -6 but I have my settings at expand all and it should not matter anyway because even if collapsed I should be able to see it. Why would a thread repeatedly not register on a search for last posts? If we are going to bypass the vote system the best option is to use the "last post" function as has been advertised, but if it does not reliably report all of the threads then there is a problem I am assuming that it is then only accessible to those who have tagged it, it is in effect closed to new participation.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
@hawkeye10,
I can see it. You need to have "all topics" selected when you refresh. Choosing just "discussions," or "questions" isn't sufficient.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
@Joeblow,
OK, when I have it set on all topics day it does not show, but when I put it on all topics week it does.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Sorry, if I knew how to post a screen shot I would, but what I meant was not re: your permanent settings, but rather the option you use to refresh your screen. If you refresh by clicking on "Questions," you will see new posts to topics in the questions category. If you click on the able2know link in the blue bar at the top left of the page, or, "all topics" above "dicussions," you should find all new posts.

Play a bit. I may not have described that completely right, but if you followed my ramble at all, you'll soon figure it out.