dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
@sozobe,
Its looking a little better today. still a little swollen and a bit pussy looking but bettter I think. (Thats Puss-y you filthy creatures).

God i'm tough.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:00 pm
@margo,
Yay!!! Margo's Here!!!! wrote:
well - I never knew what was in magnoplasm - but my dad used to swear by it.

Mind you - he'd swear without it, too.....

It sucketh mightily...in a good way.

Dredges all those poisons and such up....
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:02 pm
@dadpad,
The Dead Man Formerly Known as Dadpad wrote:
God i'm tough.

No you're not...you're stupid.

If you get a systemic infection you could be in big trouble, dammit!!!!
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:50 pm
@Borat Sister,
Dadman walking.

I'm helping reduce resistance to antibiotics for when i really do need em.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:59 pm
@dadpad,
Nonetheless...you watch that thing, ok????
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:06 pm
@Borat Sister,
WILL YOU STOP FUSSING WOMAN!

But thanks for caring.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:15 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
WILL YOU STOP FUSSING WOMAN!

Nope.

Wotcha gonna do about it, huh?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:28 pm
@sozobe,
Uh.
Well.
I rather routinely toss off cuts - I don't think I've ever had an infection from one (and a bunch of us know how old I am, this is a serious lack of skin infections over a lifetime). But, there is the possibility of tetanus (Clostridium tetani?) and other soil clostridia, not to mention the uggy googys out there now, like MRSA.

Me, I'd check with a doc, if you have one to just go in and ask. Worth the caution.

I've also cut a finger with a kitchen sharpie while cutting a pork roast. I remember staring at it and hanging the finger under the faucet and sort of quietly crying out to my husband about taking me to the doctor. Yah, I'd cut into the tendon, which involved this emergency room dip in, yes, betadine, and stitches. Decades after, the finger a...l...m...o...s...t straightens out as well as it's opposite number on the other hand.

I figure you are doing similar, but hell, I'd still check it, as it IS infected.

Oh, on tetanus. Don't know about current t. shots. In my day, I think they had a seven year span, but it was understood that was really about fourteen. But that was a long time ago. I think you're fine on it, but... don't trust me.

Thing is, I also remember all those clostridium-of many-kind stories.

I also remember bacterial endocarditis stories.. but not sure re which bacti besides strep. (It's been a long time.)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Adding, no one is more against the misuse of antibiotics than I am and have been for near fifty years. I am not clear that this is one of those occasions.

Adds, I don't remember if strep is in soil. (So goes the mind.)

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:03 am
@dadpad,
i got an infected cut on my index finger in sympathy. not that it was planned sympathy, really.. bike chain fell off, i was pulling it, it released, the toothed wheel spun and sunk its teeth (and bike grease) into my finger. yow. but surely not as bad as yours. must be some cosmic karma or such. tandoori.
martybarker

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:06 am
So Dadpad,
Your finger hasn't fallen off yet has it?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:06 am
@dagmaraka,
Damn bikes!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:16 am
@dadpad,
If it gets any worse, dadpad, get yourself to a doctor pronto, you hear?

What were you doing with that Stanley knife when you injured yourself?

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:17 am
@msolga,
i had like 2 infected wounds this month, how lame. im going to die! just kidding 2 were on my left hand, i dont know why they got infected, a cigarette burn and a cut from sockin the guy who broke my nose in the mouth. i hit a tooth i guess...

kerosene, sounds like it will work HAHA, ouchies
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 05:27 am
@dadpad,
Don't be such a big shot. M.R.S.A. (methicillin resistent staplococcyx aureus) is rampant in commmunities. What starts out as a little cut, could quickly cause BIG problems. Keep putting a triple antibiotic ointment on the cut. If it does not seem to be getting better, you might just want to see a doctor. If it is MRSA, a regular antibiotic cream won't do anything for it. There is something called, Bactroban, which is by prescription only, and works on MRSA.

Why do I know this? 'Cause I went through this with Mr. P. who ended up having to get 20 infusions of a special antibiotic at a hospital.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:12 am
@Phoenix32890,
jeez are infections really serious?

i had cut my index finger open a little more than a quarter inch a few months ago, it was insanely infected.i just like scraped it out. horrible.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:18 am
@OGIONIK,
Some are, some aren't. I really don't think that the average person knows the difference. That is why I suggested watching it, and treating it simply with antibiotic ointment for a bit, but checking to see if it gets worse.

Before I knew Mr. P. he once had an infection in his hand. He says that it blew up like a baseball mitt!
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:26 am
@Phoenix32890,
my friend had an infected fingernail one time, he let it go until his whole finger was purple, he ws like taking strips of flesh off at the end.

it just went away but his finger is ugly an crippled now.

LOL im tough, but thats stupidity. i would have soaked it in hydrogen peroxide or something he didnt do anything....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 01:59 am
I'm right on top of the infection now. The cut is still a little red around the edges but all the swelling is gone.
Salty water is pretty amazing stuff, saves antibiotics for when I really need it.
martybarker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:52 pm
@dadpad,
Glad to hear it's looking better, and thanks for not posting a pic!