I have just created my own website

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm
It took me awhile, but I went through every single user on this site and applied the "ignore this user" option. I am now the only one here and it is very peaceful.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,063 • Replies: 38

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:28 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Dodo!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
How come there was a reply here from Calamity Jane and now it is gone? Might it be because her reply was of such a negative nature that I impulsively gave her a thumbs down and erased her very existence?

I LOVE this site!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:47 pm
Calamity, could you give a little context for your comments, or are you just talking to yourself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:50 pm
@roger,
You ought to be able to see it now.

I worry that the combination of the ratings system with the politics forum is going to be a complete and total disaster. What's to keep a troll from downrating each and every post that you have? Are there new ToS to cover such behavior? How would you even know, other then to see a negative mark put on every post that you have? Seems like it will lead to much more frustration then it will any sort of actual functionality, as we aren't talking about question answers nearly as much as debating esoteric points.

Cycloptichorn
mismi

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:51 pm
@roger,
Heh heh heh... Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So far I haven't made use of the voting or popularity gimmicks. Also haven't been effected by the results of others using them because I have the sort setting set on Day and New Posts. Votes don't effect it other than me having to scroll deeper into the list to find them. But, that happened on the old A2K too in a subtle fashion. The more popular and active threads always floated to the top of the New Posts list while the less active ones were at the bottom, but they were still available to me to read and reply to and it is still that way here on the new site. The difference is that the lookie loos can now effect the order of the list without having to actively participate in a thread or ignore a thread.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:56 pm
This is just to confirm that gus and I are completely alone and isolated in this universe.
Lash

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:57 pm
@Lash,
I would also like to say that I am seriously considering giving myself a thumbs up on that last post.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:59 pm
@Lash,
You already did, automatically.
martybarker

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What happens when you click on a thumbs up or down?? Confused
roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
Cyclo wrote:
You ought to be able to see it now.

A joke is never funny if you have to explain it.
martybarker

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:02 pm
@martybarker,
Sorry Cycloptichorn, I clicked on your thumb and I think your post dissapeared, or did Gus do that?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:04 pm
@martybarker,
"martybarker" wrote:
What happens when you click on a thumbs up or down?? Confused

(boy, it would have been a lot easier just to hit 'quote post' instead of all these steps)

I'm pretty sure that enough downratings will auto-hide threads and responses. You can still see them by clicking on them, but it's an annoyance.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:30 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Quote:
It took me awhile, but I went through every single user on this site and applied the "ignore this user" option. I am now the only one here and it is very peaceful.

Couldn't you sit in an empty room, facing away from a mirror? 'Twould be a lot easier....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I worry that the combination of the ratings system with the politics forum is going to be a complete and total disaster. What's to keep a troll from downrating each and every post that you have?

According to the "what about voting" thread, Craven has some way of ignoring folks who spam feedback.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:36 pm
@Lash,
i'm going to give myself some kind of a handsignal for my stupidity stumbling around here - but it won't be "thumbs up " !
hbg
Lash

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:40 pm
@hamburgboy,
Made me laugh...
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I worry that the combination of the ratings system with the politics forum is going to be a complete and total disaster. What's to keep a troll from downrating each and every post that you have? Are there new ToS to cover such behavior? How would you even know, other then to see a negative mark put on every post that you have? Seems like it will lead to much more frustration then it will any sort of actual functionality, as we aren't talking about question answers nearly as much as debating esoteric points.

Craven explained prior to the move that there is an algorithm of some sort that will pick up anyone who goes around voting down all posts by someone in the manner you describe (which used to happen on Abuzz) and reducing their impact and such.

Ditto with someone who uses multiple accounts to vote themselves up.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:13 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
You said: It took me awhile, but I went through every single user on this site and applied the "ignore this user" option. I am now the only one here and it is very peaceful."

Pretty boring, though, eh?

How are you guys getting that quote thing to work?