No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
Intransitive.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:12 pm
Transitive.

Transitive verbs have a direct object, intransitive verbs do not. The compound verb "went to" has the direct object "the store".

A transitive verb must have an object. Without the object, the sentence does not make sense. The object of the verb is usually a noun, a noun phrase, or a pronoun.

An intransitive verb does not have an object. You can use it without having to add any more words to the sentence.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:18 pm
contrex wrote:
Transitive verbs have a direct object, intransitive verbs do not. The compound verb "went to" has the direct object "the store".

Actually, the verb is went. To the store is an adjectival, prepositional phrase that modifies the verb. The store is not the direct recipient of the verb's action--the store is not being "went-ed." (The fact that that phrase makes no sense is itself an indication that "went" is not a transitive verb.) Thus the store is not a direct object.

More precisely, the store is the object of the preposition to rather than the the object of the verb went. The verb itself has no direct object and is thus intransitive.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
I'm confused. Two replies with different anwers.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 01:03 am
There are several resources on the internet that might help to clarify.

Transitive and Intransitive Verbs
The examples that this page gives under the section on Intransitive Verbs are analogous to your sentence and to the explanation I provided about why your verb is intransitive.

Understanding Intransitive Verbs
This page has a brief explanation about the relationship between prepositional phrases and intransitive verbs.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:53 am
Thanks. Shapeless and Contrex for your reply.
0 Replies