The Next Smear Against Obama: "Infanticide"

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:26 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
OB - I'm not sure where is issue actually plays out. After the passing of the partial-birth abortion ban act, this would be assumed for late term abortions.

If the procedure takes place in the womb, but the fetus/infant is expelled alive, the care given afterwards would be assumed to save the recently born.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, I just think that the bill should reflect the specifics of the spirit of the bill. I don't think that a bill providing care for what the mother elected to abort, is bad.

My philosophical arguments on abortion surround the woman having choice, and I don't see the this being something that threatens that choice unless it's worded in such a way to create a back door for future legislation. This should be a stand alone bill. RL like o parade it as if it were, but the wording is murky.

T
K
O
"The procedure" is as barbaric as anything I've ever heard of. If a "save the failed abortion" leads to not killing kids with a scissors to the skull; that's fine with me. I am confident that would be just fine with those who decided Roe in the first place.

A while back I wrote:
Second thread:

I hate getting in this,... but elective "partial birth" is too frequently killing a viable human for comfort. 20 weeks after the fact seems like an inordinate amount of time to make a decision, really, and I've read that some are performed as late as 7 monthsÂ… which is well beyond the point where a babies head being pulled out (instead of scissors going in it) results in a viable baby. I don't believe that was ever supposed to be covered by Roe Vs Wade. Baby Amelia was born at 21 weeks and I have difficult time imagining how a man who dedicated his life to Medicine Kills kids more viable for a living. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Amelia video is still up and it is not at all gross (I would never do that). It allows you to witness the miracle of a healthy 10 ounce baby girl's size when born; and then she leaves the hospital a healthy baby girl. NOT a disgusting anti-abortion link, so please view it... and see if you can still defend the idea that someone should have the right to kill baby Amelia. Barbarism. Idea
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:35 pm
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
If there was no heartbeat etc then the abortionist has nothing to fear from the Born Alive Act since it specifically states it applies to those that are born alive.

So what is your objection to the law providing protection to those that are born alive?

I don't think there is an abjection to that RL, what there is an objection to is how the legislation is written to muddy the waters.

T
K
O

The law was written to address the practice of leaving newborns to die if they were born as a result of abortion but had somehow managed to survive the attempt on their life.

Yes, I understand this. What you are trying to ignore is the WAY it is written. But I'm sure you are perfectly fine with any legislation which creates a back door into making abortion illegal in the future.

When are you going to address Joe's statement about the liability it creates for a doctor when it can't be 100% determined that a fetus/infant is not in fact alive?

When are you going to address the legal issues I brought up about what specific services would be provided and who would pay?

I don't think that providing care for a failed abortion is a bed thing, but I don't think that this legislation really has much to do with that. A piece of legislation to do this would be very detailed as to the services and responsibilities, and less about the definitions.

T
K
O

What would YOU do if you were unsure if someone were alive or not?

Would you treat them AS IF they were already dead?

Or would you treat them AS IF they MAY be alive?

Do you think a doctor should be required to show at least as much prudence as your common sense would compel you to do?

You're showing your card RL. The point here is that it has been outlined by JFC, that this legislation would create a new liability for doctors performing late 2nd and 3rd term abortions.

Answer the questions I've directed you to. Those are legitimate concerns. A bill of this nature should be stand alone. Dont' you understand that?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 11:02 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Second thread:

I hate getting in this,... but elective "partial birth" is too frequently killing a viable human for comfort. 20 weeks after the fact seems like an inordinate amount of time to make a decision, really, and I've read that some are performed as late as 7 monthsÂ… which is well beyond the point where a babies head being pulled out (instead of scissors going in it) results in a viable baby. I don't believe that was ever supposed to be covered by Roe Vs Wade. Baby Amelia was born at 21 weeks and I have difficult time imagining how a man who dedicated his life to Medicine Kills kids more viable for a living. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Amelia video is still up and it is not at all gross (I would never do that). It allows you to witness the miracle of a healthy 10 ounce baby girl's size when born; and then she leaves the hospital a healthy baby girl. NOT a disgusting anti-abortion link, so please view it... and see if you can still defend the idea that someone should have the right to kill baby Amelia. Barbarism. Idea

Hey Bill, I can relate with you here. I don't think all abortions are justified. I don't think they are all done with in good conditions. I don't think that all of them are well thought through. I think that reasonable people can make a choice early (within the first trimester) to abort, keep, or abandon for adoption. I have many views on the regulation of abortion, many of which have to do with health, safety, and quality standards, but also many that have to do with the sensitive nature of the issue.

Having said that, I still support a woman's/couple's right to choose above all else, and I'm content to let that descision be there own for worse or for better. I'm not going to police that.

As for Amelia, my heart goes out for every child in this world, and I won't play favorites to her over the millions of children who are in despriate need of care who have nothing to do with abortion, it's as simple as that. Let's not forget Amelia had a home to go to.

The problem with this topic is that it convolutes several issues together instead of allowing detailed discussion on the specific differences between them. Statements like "see if you can still defend the idea that someone should have the right to kill baby Amelia," are meaningless here because that is not the fulcrum at which we lever one way or another. Abortion itself is a super complex issue with several parts.

Abortion isn't a good thing in the world, but it's not the problem it's the symptom. I very much would like fewer abortions in the world, but I'm not going to treat this with feel-good lolipops and band-aids. It is a socio-economical issue. Further, any law revolving around it, should reflect the difference in contribution of women and men, and their rights should be adjusted appropriately. I see the woman as the custodian of the unborns life rights, and after it's born it becomes and issue of the state. If IL wants to provide care, it's legislation needs to outline what care and who pays etc.

The bill has to be stand alone.
K
O
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:54 am
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
If there was no heartbeat etc then the abortionist has nothing to fear from the Born Alive Act since it specifically states it applies to those that are born alive.

So what is your objection to the law providing protection to those that are born alive?

I don't think there is an abjection to that RL, what there is an objection to is how the legislation is written to muddy the waters.

T
K
O

The law was written to address the practice of leaving newborns to die if they were born as a result of abortion but had somehow managed to survive the attempt on their life.

Yes, I understand this. What you are trying to ignore is the WAY it is written. But I'm sure you are perfectly fine with any legislation which creates a back door into making abortion illegal in the future.

When are you going to address Joe's statement about the liability it creates for a doctor when it can't be 100% determined that a fetus/infant is not in fact alive?

When are you going to address the legal issues I brought up about what specific services would be provided and who would pay?

I don't think that providing care for a failed abortion is a bed thing, but I don't think that this legislation really has much to do with that. A piece of legislation to do this would be very detailed as to the services and responsibilities, and less about the definitions.

T
K
O

What would YOU do if you were unsure if someone were alive or not?

Would you treat them AS IF they were already dead?

Or would you treat them AS IF they MAY be alive?

Do you think a doctor should be required to show at least as much prudence as your common sense would compel you to do?

You're showing your card RL. The point here is that it has been outlined by JFC, that this legislation would create a new liability for doctors performing late 2nd and 3rd term abortions.

Answer the questions I've directed you to. Those are legitimate concerns. A bill of this nature should be stand alone. Dont' you understand that?

T
K
O

boo hoo

Doctors doing abortions DO have a responsibility and they should not be freed from it.

It is and should be required to give full legal protection to infants that have been born alive.

It's that easy.

If they are uncomfortable with that responsibility, then they should leave medicine and wash cars for a living.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
Diest: I see the woman as the custodian of the unborn's life rights as well and mostly just mind my own business on this issue... but that is before viability. I do not think it is asking too much to make a legally binding decision in the first Trimester. Once a fetus, like Amelia, becomes viable; her rights as a human being should be recognized. Read Roe. It was never intended to legalize the murder of viable children.

This is what I got from reading Roe:
  1. A woman has the right to choose up until the baby becomes viable,
  2. Thereafter the baby has a right to not be killed because it is viable

I can't imagine why anyone on the Pro-Choice side would consider this inadequate.

Beyond viability, any way you slice it, abortion really is murder.

Philosophically I can understand why Pro-Lifers would argue that life begins at conception... and agree with their arguments, almost to the end. The problems I see in that position is that I think the already viable life's (mom's) rights supercede the rights of the not yet viable fetus. Should she choose to carry that fetus to viability; the potentially viable child should have rights, just the same as if she were already born by today's definitions. Baby Amelia's (who is just an example) parents should have no more right to kill her, based on what day she exits the womb.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:45 am
I don't think any but the most radical right to lifer ever claimed that a woman didn't have a right to abortion if her life was at stake. If the fetus/baby couldn't be carried to term because the mother would die than it wouldn't make sense to condom her and the fetus/baby to death. The problem as I see it is that most abortions are things of convenance. It would cost too much money and time. In other words greed and selfishness. There are reasons for abortion but in most cases not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
All this discussion about abortion really misses the important philosophical issues called "responsibility." Our culture has forgotten what the word means, and most people not only over-spend what they don't have, but expect to live the life of Riley from crib to coffin - without having to pay the consequences.

Our educational system and economy have been on a downward spiral for several years now, and people are finally catching on that there are limits to sloppy personal management of credit, money, and cheating in school.

Ethics has disappeared along with the increase in greed. Our government is no better; more of our elected officials are being charged with crimes unthinkable only a few decades ago. The CEOs of companies are earning obscene amounts as the average employee's pay can't even keep up with the cost of living.

Our world has finally turned upside down, and nobody seems to know how to fix it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
Let's just step back for a second and view the original bill for what it was: a thinly veiled attempt to outlaw second and third trimester abortions. Once the bill was amended to include an exception for legal abortions, the controversy ceased and the amended bill became law. The result: nothing changed -- nothing changed. Doctors in Illinois could still perform abortions, and they were still obligated to make reasonable attempts to save the life of any infant who was born alive as a result of an abortion.

The lack of any significant opposition to the amended bill is, I think, sufficient proof that the original bill was designed to make legal abortions difficult or impossible to obtain. Once the bill was amended its proponents lost interest, since their focus wasn't really on protecting the rights of children, it was just on limiting the rights of women. But then that has been the case for years in Illinois, where abortion opponents have tried everything to curtail or eliminate the right guaranteed by Roe but where they have no real concern for pregnant women. Indeed, that has been the case for years all across the United States.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 02:04 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Diest: I see the woman as the custodian of the unborn's life rights as well and mostly just mind my own business on this issue... but that is before viability. I do not think it is asking too much to make a legally binding decision in the first Trimester. Once a fetus, like Amelia, becomes viable; her rights as a human being should be recognized. Read Roe. It was never intended to legalize the murder of viable children.

This is what I got from reading Roe:
  1. A woman has the right to choose up until the baby becomes viable,
  2. Thereafter the baby has a right to not be killed because it is viable

I can't imagine why anyone on the Pro-Choice side would consider this inadequate.

Beyond viability, any way you slice it, abortion really is murder.

Philosophically I can understand why Pro-Lifers would argue that life begins at conception... and agree with their arguments, almost to the end. The problems I see in that position is that I think the already viable life's (mom's) rights supercede the rights of the not yet viable fetus. Should she choose to carry that fetus to viability; the potentially viable child should have rights, just the same as if she were already born by today's definitions. Baby Amelia's (who is just an example) parents should have no more right to kill her, based on what day she exits the womb.

I hear your argument Bill, but if we say that Amelia is viable because of our abilities with science etc, consider the implications on the other end of the life cycle with long term care etc. Life support can keep almost anything alive.

It's not inconceivable that in the future a embryo could be extracted from a woman and developed in a synthetic womb under ideal conditions. Would then the embryo be viable? The answer might be yes, but what would that mean big picture?

I don't think that viability is achieved because technology can continue to incubate a preemie to true viability.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 03:04 pm
I hate to bring up "cost," but how much money are we willing to invest in keeping a preemie alive vs infants and children who are living without any health care because of its costs? Exactly who's going to foot the bill? We already have 47 million Americans without health care. Do they count, or is the preemie more important?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
I agree with O'Bill that the right's of the mother changes when the fetus becomes viable. The mother has to take some responsibility as to the timing of any abortion. That's not demanding too much of the mother.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Neither Dalai lama, nor Rama, nor Obama nor any mamamama is a solution for our fate.
We( irrespective of your educational standard) should show our moral ethical civil courage to make a REAL CHANGE.
We had slept long now we should confront the reality and make amends.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:18 pm
I guess the next question is who decides that a baby (born after a botched abortion is viable)?

According to Obama, it's the abortionist....Below is a quote from Obama where he is arguing against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act because it requires that the doctor performing the abortion get an independent opinion from another doctor on the viability of an infant/fetus that is still moving outside the womb after an attempted abortion.

Obama wrote:
As I understand it, this puts the burden on the attending physician who has determined, since they were performing this procedure, that, in fact, this is a nonviable fetus; that if that fetus, or child - however way you want to describe it - is now outside the mother's womb and the doctor continues to think that it's nonviable but there's, let's say, movement or some indication that, in fact, they're not just coming out limp and dead, that, in fact, they would then have to call a second physician to monitor and check off and make sure that this is not a live child that could be saved.

I find it very offensive that Obama is questioning the necessity or reasonableness of calling in another doctor to determine if a wriggling infant/fetus is viable or not. This would not seem to be too much to ask when a life is at stake.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:50 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

I guess the next question is who decides that a baby (born after a botched abortion is viable)?

According to Obama, it's the abortionist....Below is a quote from Obama where he is arguing against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act because it requires that the doctor performing the abortion get an independent opinion from another doctor on the viability of an infant/fetus that is still moving outside the womb after an attempted abortion.

Obama wrote:
As I understand it, this puts the burden on the attending physician who has determined, since they were performing this procedure, that, in fact, this is a nonviable fetus; that if that fetus, or child - however way you want to describe it - is now outside the mother's womb and the doctor continues to think that it's nonviable but there's, let's say, movement or some indication that, in fact, they're not just coming out limp and dead, that, in fact, they would then have to call a second physician to monitor and check off and make sure that this is not a live child that could be saved.

I find it very offensive that Obama is questioning the necessity or reasonableness of calling in another doctor to determine if a wriggling infant/fetus is viable or not. This would not seem to be too much to ask when a life is at stake.

Why shouldn't the doctor (the person you referred to as the "abortionist") be the person to make that call? Does your argument assume that the doctor would default to a specific answer? If so, that's a bit presumptuous. What does a second doctor offer? What kind of situation does this put clinics in in terms of required faculties? It seems to me that this Act has a good spirit but is written more to open the door on other related issues; a way to try and declare viability via science, and not biology and therefore push the front lines of the abortion battle ground.

A law like this could be good, but it must be stand alone.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:55 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Let's just step back for a second and view the original bill for what it was: a thinly veiled attempt to outlaw second and third trimester abortions. Once the bill was amended to include an exception for legal abortions, the controversy ceased and the amended bill became law. The result: nothing changed -- nothing changed. Doctors in Illinois could still perform abortions, and they were still obligated to make reasonable attempts to save the life of any infant who was born alive as a result of an abortion.

The lack of any significant opposition to the amended bill is, I think, sufficient proof that the original bill was designed to make legal abortions difficult or impossible to obtain. Once the bill was amended its proponents lost interest, since their focus wasn't really on protecting the rights of children, it was just on limiting the rights of women. But then that has been the case for years in Illinois, where abortion opponents have tried everything to curtail or eliminate the right guaranteed by Roe but where they have no real concern for pregnant women. Indeed, that has been the case for years all across the United States.

Game set match Joe.

T
K
O
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The smear against Oinkbama is that electing him president would amount to putting that Chicago political machine in charge of the country; it would be basically the same thing as having Boss Tweed for president.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest wrote:
Why shouldn't the doctor (the person you referred to as the "abortionist") be the person to make that call? Does your argument assume that the doctor would default to a specific answer? If so, that's a bit presumptuous. What does a second doctor offer?

Yes, I do assume that the doctor would default to a specific answer. After all, he's just botched what he was paid to do. With everybody in the US out to make themselves rich by litigation, I'm sure a malpractice suit would be on his mind. It would be so easy to avoid any danger to his career by simply jabbing those scissors once again into the brain of that wriggling fetus.

Remember this is a partial-birth abortion procedure we're talking about...I can't even conceive of being capable of doing such a procedure....but some doctors obviously have less qualms. What makes you think that such a doctor (who has no compunction for killing the fetus with all but the head outside the woman's body) would suddenly have a change of heart simply because the head slipped out before the job was finished?

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:47 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Diest wrote:
Why shouldn't the doctor (the person you referred to as the "abortionist") be the person to make that call? Does your argument assume that the doctor would default to a specific answer? If so, that's a bit presumptuous. What does a second doctor offer?

Yes, I do assume that the doctor would default to a specific answer. After all, he's just botched what he was paid to do. With everybody in the US out to make themselves rich by litigation, I'm sure a malpractice suit would be on his mind. It would be so easy to avoid any danger to his career by simply jabbing those scissors once again into the brain of that wriggling fetus.

Remember this is a partial-birth abortion procedure we're talking about...I can't even conceive of being capable of doing such a procedure....but some doctors obviously have less qualms. What makes you think that such a doctor (who has no compunction for killing the fetus with all but the head outside the woman's body) would suddenly have a change of heart simply because the head slipped out before the job was finished?

Uh... You're talking about something all together different than what this bill was about. Any action taken by the doctor after birth is not covered in said legislation.

If you equate " jabbing scissors" to not being mandated to provide care to a infant that may or may not be viable, you've hit the reef, prepare to sink.

T
K
O
slkshock7

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 09:17 pm
@Diest TKO,
tko wrote:
You're talking about something all together different than what this bill was about. Any action taken by the doctor after birth is not covered in said legislation.

Where did you get that? This bill was initiated based on Jill Stapanek's Congressional testimony that a common procedure in her Illinois hospital was to induce the live birth of babies in her hospital whom were then left to die untreated under the premise that they were pre-viable. This apparently in direct violation of the 1975 Illinois abortion law that said "Subsequent to the abortion, if a child is born alive, the physician required by Section 6(2)(a) to be in attendance shall exercise the same degree of professional skill, care and diligence to preserve the life and health of the child as would be required of a physician providing immediate medical care to a child born alive in the course of a pregnancy termination which was not an abortion. " Then when the Illinois Attorney General ruled that no crime had been committed, the Illinois legislature felt compelled to draft the subject legislation to close the loophole.

The operative word here is "pre-viable". The "industry standard" is around 24 weeks but since 80% of babies born at 24 weeks and 66% of babies born at 23 weeks survive, that is a statistic in dire need of revision. Even younger babies have known to survive. The bottom line is that the "age of viability" is very much a subjective issue and certainly worthy of a second opinion, particularly to counter the opinion of a doctor who makes his career out of destroying fetuses around that same gestation age.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:31 am
@slkshock7,
This is turning into one of those "because I said so" moments.

You're telling me what the operative word is.
You're telling me that the doctor defaults to an answer.

Tell me. Who is this second doctor? Is it someone other than another "doctor who makes his career out of destroying fetuses?" If two doctors say that the infant is not viable/survivable, then what?

However many doctors until you you get one that says what you want I suppose.

BTW, you only quoted half my post. I assume then you have no comment RE your own "jabbing the scissors" as being somehow related to letting a infant expire from the act of the abortion.

T
K
O