Rebublican Congressional Revolt Continues

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 07:13 am
The MSM is completely ignoring this very important issue. Gee, I wonder why?

House Republican Rebellion Continues (Jed Babbin from the House Floor)
Human Events ^ | 5 August 2008 | Jed Babbin

It's enough to make you weep. Conservative House Republicans -- led by Indiana's Mike Pence and Georgia's Tom Price -- took Friday's spontaneous outburst against Speaker Nancy Pelosi's summer adjournment without a vote on offshore drilling and turned it into an organized revolt that was melting the Capitol's telephone and fax lines. And then the White House announced that the President wouldn't call the House back for a special session to deal with the gasoline price crisis.

But the House Republicans aren't dismayed. This isn't about the President, one told me last evening. It's about putting pressure on the Speaker. They plan to have a full team on the House floor at least all this week.

Yesterday, I sat on the House floor - among members, staff, tourists and other journalists - while Reps. Pence, Price, Duncan Hunter (R-Ca) and Jeb Hensarling (R-Tx) made impassioned but well-reasoned speeches about why Congress should return from its just begun 5-week taxpayer-funded vacation to vote on an energy bill aimed at relieving the problem that's affecting every American voter.

The Republicans' action began as a stunt on Friday and by Monday had evolved into a well-organized effort that might just succeed: if enough pressure were brought on Pelosi to force a vote on a comprehensive energy package, she might have to budge either by bringing Congress back in August (admittedly a very long-shot) or by holding a vote when the House reconvenes in September.

Republicans, as Hensarling said, define "comprehensive" as not "drill or, but drill and", meaning that they would couple conservation measures with opening offshore drilling and on-land oil reserves such as the Colorado oil shale.

By Monday, Pence and Price had gotten about twenty fellow Republicans to come back for the new debate, and more were still being rounded up. As many as one hundred may be back by week's end. If they are successful in building momentum this week, the debates will go on -- possibly -- all to the way into September.

Pence told the audience, "Because the American people aren't getting a vacation from $4/gallon gasoline, Congress shouldn't be taking a 5-week paid vacation." He added, "Congress should be working in a bipartisan manner to give the American people more access to American oil."

Hensarling (chairman of the Republican Study Committee, the official conservative Republican group) told me in a brief interview in the Republican cloakroom that it was rather doubtful that Pelosi would call Congress back. Pelosi, he said, was "wedded to a San Francisco extremist ideology that prevents her from understanding the pain being felt by real people."

Both Pence and Hensarling understand the most important underlying issue. America's is an oil-based economy. No matter how much people dream of converting to wind power or solar power or whatever, to bring relief to American consumers in the next several years, the answer has to be an increased supply of oil.

I asked Hensarling why, when America is so energy-rich, was our government insisting we remain energy-poor?

He said, "When Brazil discovered huge new offshore oil reserves, it caused a national celebration. It was a matter of pride. When we discover oil here - in Nancy Pelosi's congress - it's treated as a matter of shame."

Later, on the House floor, Hensarling asked, "shouldn't Congress cancel their vacation plans when families are canceling theirs because of high gas prices?" He invited Americans to call Pelosi's office to express their support for the Republican revolt, giving the main Capitol number, 202-224-3121. (Pelosi's office numbers are 202-225-0100 and 225-4965).

Pence, in his speech, pointed to a chart that showed about a half-dozen issues which Pelosi found time for debate in the House, such as "National Passport Month."

The President's announcement that he would not call Congress back for a special session may not kill the House revolt. And, in fact, it shouldn't. For the same reason that the President's immigration bill died in the Senate last year, this group of Republicans - finally finding their voice after being suppressed by Pelosi for more than a year - have a winning issue. And Americans are supporting them the same way we supported the opponents of the immigration bill last year.

Cong. Pence told me the phones were almost melting. Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham and many of the other most prominent talk radio hosts were weighing in, accelerating the huge volume of calls and e-mails coming in.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (R-Az) yesterday challenged congress to return to vote on legislation that would include the barriers to offshore drilling. He promised to return from the campaign trail to vote.

Make those calls, folks. Send those e-mails. This could be a winner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,892 • Replies: 80
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 07:51 am
The Congressional Republicans are revolting.

Yawn.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:04 am
This could come back to haunt the Dems this fall. I hope the electorate is watching.

The "promised" changes of the house Dems have not come to fruition and that is good for Republican's.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:40 am
ebrown_p wrote:

Yawn.

I knew that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:46 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/three_stooges.jpg

WHAT A REVOLTING DEVELOPMENT
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
ebrown_p wrote:

Yawn.

Agreed, but the fact you side with the other revolting, obstructionist, environmentalist commie douchebags is even more of concern.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:51 am
cjhsa wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Yawn.

Agreed, but the fact you side with the other revolting, obstructionist, environmentalist commie douchebags is even more of concern.

Easy now... I'm not the one who is voting for John McCain.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:51 am
politico source

Quote:

Very insightful article on Pelosi's strategy. Makes a lot of sense, I hate to say...but does lead to the undeniable conclusion that she only cares about increasing the democratic base in Congress and cares little for the pain of the folks she purports to represent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
slkshock7 wrote:
politico source

Quote:

Very insightful article on Pelosi's strategy. Makes a lot of sense, I hate to say...but does lead to the undeniable conclusion that she only cares about increasing the democratic base in Congress and cares little for the pain of the folks she purports to represent.

More that she knows drilling won't actually ease the pain of the people she represents...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:55 am
BTW; there is no 'Republican congressional revolt.' The Republicans could have tried to pull a stunt while Congress was in session; instead, the cowards they are, they waited until the Dems were out of town and are now giving speeches to nobody, Bush isn't going to call a special session, and nothing is going to happen. That's the definition of a 'failed stunt.'

In the meantime, Dems are back home, in their districts, campaigning against them. I really do hope the Republicans keep it up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:00 am
Is this the same Republican party that worked to defeat an energy bill just a couple of weeks ago?

I'm sure it is.

Grandstanding now doesn't change the facts of what they did 2 weeks ago. You really think the voters are blind to the stoppage of a bill by GOP but well be up in arms over the failure to pass a bill by the Dems?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

More that she knows drilling won't actually ease the pain of the people she represents...

Cycloptichorn

Then she's an idiot about economics...even college freshmen in their first class on economics learn that more supply drives down costs. We can probably argue for days on how much price will go down and when it will go down, but there is one guarantee...the price will go down. Increasing the number of Democrats in Congress will not drive the cost down one penny.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
You mean the "lights out" energy bill?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:05 am
slkshock7 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Then she's an idiot about economics...even college freshmen in their first class on economics learn that more supply drives down costs. We can probably argue for days on how much price will go down and when it will go down, but there is one guarantee...the price will go down. Increasing the number of Democrats in Congress will not drive the cost down one penny.

I'm sorry, but that's not a guarantee; that's a projection on your part.

Offshore drilling will EVENTUALLY add about 1-2% to the world supply; that won't be enough to move prices significantly. And any freshman in college could tell you that. Exactly how much is it you think the prices will drop?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
Democratic legislation:

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/clavvs/clavvs2.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:14 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/three_stooges.jpg

WHAT A REVOLTING DEVELOPMENT

Yes, we can see that the Democrats are out playing golf , while Republicans are still at the Capitol, demanding that restrictions on oil drilling should be lifted.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:25 am
slkshock7 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

That would be true in an ideal situation of supply and demand - where you have lots of suppliers, none of which can influence prices, and lots of buyers. A polypoly.

You have a different situation when it comes to oil, though. There's a large number of buyers, but only a small number of sellers.

If one supplier increases production, the effect on the market can easily be offset by another supplier decreasing production (e.g. because he wants prices to remain high).

And all of that is merely in addition to the fact that there's an increasing demand, growing faster than what could be added to the market by domestic drilling in America.

That, per se, is neither an argument for nor against domestic drilling. But the argument that domestic drilling will bring down gas prices is as false as it is simplistic.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:39 am
Cyclo,
I don't really care how much this particular tactic reduces prices. It certainly is only one step in a long battle to wean us off our oil addiction.

The facts are that the US imports 6 Million barrels of oil a day from OPEC (plus another 4M from non-OPEC countries, the largest of which is Canada). Increasing the worlds production of 83M barrels per day by 2% represents approximately 1.5M barrels per day that we would not have to import. Thus this tactic would reduce our dependence on OPEC oil by 25%!!! Even Pelosi has said that her top priority is to reduce our dependence on oil, so why she doesn't permit this is unconsionable and unmistakeably a power ploy deserving of condemnation.

Surely reducing our dependence on OPEC oil by 25% is a worthwhile endeavor, no?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:40 am
I think anyone who claims to know what will happen (or not happen) to gas prices if we allow more drilling for our own oil is quite frankly full of it or just toeing the party line (I'm leaning toward the idea that you are all full of it.)

I don't think anyone really knows what would happen to gas prices if more drilling for our own oil is allowed. But I sure think it is time to find out what would happen. Even if it did not drive prices downward, it would put the US in the situation of being less dependent on purchasing our oil from foreign countries and thus less vulnerable to the whims of those countries.

I think it funny the way the dems are spouting off about not drilling yet have spent a lot of time here on these boards crying that the current war in Iraq was a war for oil. Gosh, maybe if we had been drilling our own this "war for oil" would not have happened. You'd think democrats would jump all over drilling our own just to keep those wicked republicans from starting another "war for oil."

My three cents worth.**

**Due to the cost of oil, my two cents worth has had to be increased to three cents to cover costs. I do hope y'all understand.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
Gee, that's funny; before the war in Iraq started, oil was what, 33 dollars a barrel?

I think that driving up the price of oil was a goal of war in the middle-east; and if you look at the backgrounds of those who started the war, it's not a crazy theory or anything; these people stood to gain a lot from the price of oil rising, and that is exactly what happened.

What a coincidence!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies