correct expression

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:30 pm
The shoplifter made a beeline for the exit, but was detained by the security officers/a security officer.

Is 'beeline for the exit' correctly used? Which makes more sense, 'a security officer' or 'security officers'. I think it is hard for one security officer to detain a suspected shoplifter.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 636 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:50 pm
They are all correctly used.

One officer or several, it does not matter. The culprit was stopped. Most stores do have a security team, however.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 01:37 am
The phrase "made a beeline for", which means "moved quickly in a straight line [like a bee] towards" is rather slangy and might be out of place in more formal writing, or if the shoplifter did not actually move in a straight line but took a circuitous route. "Made for the exit" means the same thing but is not specific about route taken.

In answer to the question about "the security officers" versus "a security officer", the question is a little odd. The answer would depend on the following:

1. The sentence is part of a work of fiction which you are writing. In this case you can decide whether one or more security officers detained the shoplifter. If the shoplifter is a small woman, one officer might be enough, but a big, strong-looking man might need more.

2. The sentence is part of a report of an actual event. If you know how many security officers took part, you can tell the reader, if the number is relevant to the story (for example if the shoplifter was a huge man who struggled a lot). If you do not know the number, or if it is not relevant, just write that the shoplifter "was detained by security staff".

Note that in most countries, to avoid legal problems, newspapers routinely use phrases such as "suspected [or alleged] shoplifter", since it would be defamatory to call someone a shoplifter until they have been convicted in court of the offence alleged.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:22 am
Thanks, guys, for your reply.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
'detain' doesn't necessarily mean that force has to be used.

And "make a beeline for" would not have to entail a perfectly straight course between two positions. It can be used figuratively to mean "hurriedly, without delay".
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 01:17 pm
JTT wrote:
I think force is needed when the one about to be detained tries to escape. Don't you think so?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 01:29 pm
tanguatlay wrote:
JTT wrote:
I think force is needed when the one about to be detained tries to escape. Don't you think so?

Force could be needed but it isn't necessarily needed. The uniform, a voice may well be all that's needed. The police detain many many people without ever using force.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 02:39 pm
JTT wrote:

And "make a beeline for" would not have to entail a perfectly straight course between two positions. It can be used figuratively to mean "hurriedly, without delay".

Yes, but without the straight directness of route, such a use would be kind of loose, don't you think? I do.

bee·line
n.
A direct, straight course.

To move swiftly in a direct, straight course.
[From the belief that a bee returns to its hive in a straight course.]

beeline
Noun
make a beeline for to speedily take the most direct route to

bee·line

noun

Etymology:

from the belief that nectar-laden bees return to their hives in a direct line

a straight direct course
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 05:19 pm
contrex wrote:
JTT wrote:

Yes, but without the straight directness of route, such a use would be kind of loose, don't you think? I do.

bee·line
n.
A direct, straight course.

To move swiftly in a direct, straight course.
[From the belief that a bee returns to its hive in a straight course.]

beeline
Noun
make a beeline for to speedily take the most direct route to

bee·line

noun

Etymology:

from the belief that nectar-laden bees return to their hives in a direct line

a straight direct course

Good day, Contex.

Don't you think that definition #2 covers a store situation? Going around a counter or two would still qualify as the most direct line.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:47 am
OK I'll concede that.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:10 am
Thanks, fellow members, for your guidance.
0 Replies