Is there a way to "turn off" your taste buds?

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:28 am
I've been under the weather since Sunday (Really on ill Sunday, slowly feeling better each day)

I wouldn't say I have a lack of appetite exactly, more like nothing tastes that great so hardly worth thinking about eating. My taste buds are just turned off.

Don't worry, I've been eating all the right things, but only because my stomach tells me it's been empty for awhile.

If I kept this up, I'd probably take off 10 or more pounds.

I wonder if there's something that could safely turn them off for enough time to take off weight, by only eating because your body tell you to?

I know spicy foods curb your appetite at an idividual meal, but I mean in general.

I remember when I first started taking zoloft my appetite went away for awhile. It was great. Sometimes I'd be hungry and think "so I'm hungry. doesn't seem worth the effort to eat something"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 14,783 • Replies: 20
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:56 am
Re: Is there a way to "turn off" your taste buds?
Chai wrote:
I wonder if there's something that could safely turn them off for enough time to take off weight, by only eating because your body tell you to?

I've a friend on chemo that's been affected this way. Doesn't seem worth it....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:01 am
yes, that does seem a bit drastic.

I suppose if I get a craving I could go read something written by argote, spendius or hawkeye.

that should put me off my feed.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:22 am
Chai wrote:

I was at a party once where a friend was telling us that since taste and smell are closely related senses (a quick Google search pulls up a site that claims 75% of what we experience as taste actually comes from smell... maybe a biologically knowledgeable person here can verify), hampering one's sense of smell will drastically hamper one's sense of taste. To show this, he had us all plug our noses and take a sip of wine. Most people reported that the wine nearly tasted like water. I wasn't so sure--I could have sworn it tasted more or less like wine, but maybe my skepticism was playing psychological tricks on me. Maybe you should give it a try! Before your next meal, try to block your sense of smell with a swimmer's nose plug or something, and see if that does anything.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:25 am
Also, letting ice cubes dissolve on your tongue supposedly deadens the taste buds temporarily, though I don't think the effect lasts very long.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:26 am
Except my ears get plugged if I swallow while pinching my nose....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
I am going to put on my Speedo Nose Clip tonight when it's supper time.

This might work as well....

http://www.ampnj.com/images/240/MCRW2446.JPG
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:14 pm
It'll be mighty hard to eat with that thing on, but at least your eyes will be protected from lemon juice or food projectiles.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:14 pm
I could find a way.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
Sounds kinky! (Or maybe I'm sick in the head.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:56 pm
I'd say, as was suggested, plug your nose. You can also drink water at the start of the meal. It doesn't turn off the taste buds but it does help with filling up. Also, eat more slowly, letting the brain/stomach get the "I'm full" process before more than the minimal amount of food actually gets eaten.

Old dieting tricks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:01 pm
Shapeless wrote:
Sounds kinky! (Or maybe I'm sick in the head.)

Those two are not mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:35 pm
I once saw a study that claimed if people sniff peppermint oil it seems to take away feelings of hunger, especially if the eating is more emotionally driven. Can't hurt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:00 pm
Radiation works, as I understand it, from comments re the serious chef in Chicago with tongue cancer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:05 pm
He had the tongue cancer before the radiation, I presume. If not, I'll just forgo the treatment.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:09 pm
I've heard that if you pinch someone's nose and cover their eyes they can't tell the difference between a piece of apple and a piece of raw potato...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:12 pm
That's a weird and tough story and I don't mean to make fun. But he's been continuing chef-ing with little or no taste ability, relying on his crew who know his takes. I wish him well for sure.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:18 pm
As we would wish anyone well who tries to negotiate rough waters with secondhand knowledge...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:46 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:52 pm
OK, a link, and maybe not the last article I've seen -
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/05/12/080512fa_fact_max

Excruciating, given his interests and abilities.

I can't even smell, but I can work up to imagining being him.
0 Replies