Will Obama Need a Wheelchair in Near Future?

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:44 pm
oh my. i have recurring tendonitis and i also used to smoke. i'm practically dead!

Laughing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:52 pm
Have you make the proper arrangements for your demise?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
you mean aging? as proper as the next person.
oh, i also work out 6 times a week. you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
ooooo look who's so smart.

For your information, you're just mostly dead. Big difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRI0NtQ1DU
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:55 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
you mean aging?

No...demise as in death.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:57 pm
yes, i live a good life.

how about yourself?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:38 pm
Miller wrote:

Obama was the smoker, not McCain.

Wrong again, Miller. When are you ever going to get your "facts" right?

The sooner you quit, the better it is
By Jeremy Manier | Chicago Tribune reporter
July 8, 2008

Both of this year's presidential candidates say they are ex-smokers, but recent research suggests that they may face increased health risks from cigarettes for years to come.

Some of the damage that cigarettes inflict on the body subsides quickly, halving the risk of heart disease and stroke within five years after a smoker quits. But the effect of smoking on risks of cancer and other diseases can persist for decades, experts say.

Even Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), 71, who quit smoking in 1980, still faces some increased risk of cancer from smoking two packs a day for 25 years, studies suggest. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), 46, who says he has struggled to stay off cigarettes since quitting last year, may have less long-term risk because he smoked fewer cigarettes per day.

Better to quit young
A major message of the research is that people who quit at a young age are far better off than those who put it off until later. Obama and McCain, both of whom waited until their mid-40s to quit, would have been measurably better off if they had stopped a decade sooner, experts said.

"If you quit by age 35, by the time you're 45 you look pretty much like a never-smoker in most of our profiles of risk," said Terry Pechacek, associate director for science at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's office on smoking and health.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:52 pm
Jeebus jumpin christopher draggin a walrus uphill in june.

There is absolutely no bottom to the depths these "McCain Supporters" (quotation marks because they don't really support any9one - they just don't want Obama) will sink.

No shame, no reason, no bottom.....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:35 am
Quote:
"If you quit by age 35, by the time you're 45 you look pretty much like a never-smoker in most of our profiles of risk," said Terry Pechacek,

What about your lungs?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:42 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Miller wrote:

Obama was the smoker, not McCain.

Wrong again, Miller.

Guess you didn't know that Obama and McCain were not SMOKING the same "thing".

Perhaps the pollution on the West coast is rotting your cerebrum.

Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:10 am
real life wrote:
- making three separate stops to Chicago gyms over the course of one day..........

Must have been loads of fun for the 20+ Secret Service agents tailing him...

What's Obama look like in shorts? Skinny legs plus fat ass?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:28 am
Miller wrote:
What's Obama look like in shorts? Skinny legs plus fat ass?

You're projecting, sweety.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:34 am
snood wrote:
Jeebus jumpin christopher draggin a walrus uphill in june.

There is absolutely no bottom to the depths these "McCain Supporters" (quotation marks because they don't really support any9one - they just don't want Obama) will sink.

No shame, no reason, no bottom.....

Sorry, I believe you put the emphasis on the wrong syl-la-ble. Some McCain supporters became Southern Republicans when LBJ signed the School Integration Act (or whatever it was called officially). So, from being loyal Southern Democrats for generations, they became loyal Southern Republicans. They would be supporting the "Republican party," which means your statement may be true, for some, but is a "red herring."

And, there are veterans that supprt McCain, because he wore the uniform of the U.S. military. Obama never did.

But, what amazes me personally is that some Obama supporters spread the falsity that some McCain supporters just cannot vote for an African-American. Surprise! Obama is not African-American. His Black African father was African. Any American that Obama claims is from his white mother. So, it might just be correct to say that some of those that do not want to vote for Obama as, a Black man, might be because his Black heritage is not American?

I then have to question the overwhelming African-American support that Obama has (many previously Hillary supporters ironically), since it makes me wonder if African-Americans just support someone with African heritage, as opposed to African-American heritage? In otherwords, is melanin thicker than blood?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:40 am
Foofie wrote:
Surprise! Obama is not African-American. His Black African father was African. Any American that Obama claims is from his white mother.

Wait a minute.

His father was African, and his mother was American, and that's the reason why he is not African-American?

Is that what you claim?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:50 am
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Surprise! Obama is not African-American. His Black African father was African. Any American that Obama claims is from his white mother.

Wait a minute.

His father was African, and his mother was American, and that's the reason why he is not African-American?

Is that what you claim?

The term "African-American" means nothing.
As it is used today, many blacks in this country call themselves that, even though they have never been to Africa, werent born there, and some of them couldnt find Africa on a map.

But since there is a possibility that there ancestors MIGHT have been brought here as slaves, they have created the term.
IMHO, you are either an American or you arent.
The practice of hyphenating (Mexican-American, African-American, Italian-American,etc) seems to me to be a way of self-segregation by people, and makes no sense to me, especially when many of the people doing it are also the same ones complaining about any type of segregation.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:53 am
Quote:
Will Obama Need a Wheelchair in Near Future?

Sounds like another Obama HOAX.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:57 am
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Wait a minute.

Is that what you claim?

The problem is semantics as usually used in the U.S., I believe.

African-Americans, in standard American English, in my opinion, is that group that are descended from the Black Americans whose ancestors were enslaved pre-Civil War, as I understand the usage of the term. That is why Jamaicans that emigrate to this country and become citizens of the U.S. might say they are Jamaican-American (and Black).

The term African-American reflects, in my opinion, an evolution of the politically correct terms that Black Americans, with ancestors here from the pre-Civil War, wanted to be called. As a child (1950's) the term was "colored." In the early 1960's, I believe, there was a period where the politically (non-offensive) term was "Negro." Then came "African-American." Today I believe Black and African-American can both be used as a non-offensive, politically correct term; however, I believe I have heard African-American used in more sophisticated settings (i.e., academia).

My point is that Obama can be referred to as a Black American, but for some who are older than he is, the term African-American reflects a term that evolved out of earlier politically correct terminology for the group of Black Americans whose ancestry was here pre-Civil War.

In my mind, as someone who lived through all the correct, non-offensive "current" terminology, Obama might be more correctly referred to as, "African and American."
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:01 am
Obama is an American that happens to be black. Nothing more - Nothing less.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:03 am
From wikipedia :

Quote:
African Americans or Black Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.[5] In the United States, the term is generally used for Americans with at least partial Sub-Saharan African ancestry. African Americans make up the single largest racial minority in the United States,[7] though Hispanics compose the largest ethnic minority.

(why speculate and invent what the term means when there are definitions out there?)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:07 am
Some say we all have roots that can be traced all the way back to Africa, be we are all members of the same human race.

Why denigrate the human race by hyphenating?
0 Replies