Will Obama Need a Wheelchair in Near Future?

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:30 am
Obama Sees the Hip Doc

July 28, 2008 3:15 PM

ABC News' Sunlen Miller and Jake Tapper report: Senator Barack Obama visited a Chicago doctor Sunday evening due to what the campaign says is a sore hip.

Senior Strategist Robert Gibbs confirms that Obama was prescribed an anti-inflammatory for what has been diagnosed as a strained hip muscle.

"His hip has been sore from basketball for a few weeks so he went to see Dr Michael Terry, a sports medicine doctor at the University of Chicago," said Gibbs. "He had x-rays taken as a precaution that showed the discomfort was nothing serious. He has a strained hip muscle, a normal athletic injury for active person. The doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory."

Senator Obama left the University of Chicago Medical Center, Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine at 9:48 pm last night.

Reporters shouted questions and he answered from afar.

"Just fine," he was heard saying. "Small X-rays, Everything is okay... It's all good. Just a little injury... basketball injury...But I think I'm going to be good in about a week."

Obama first hurt his hip about three or four weeks ago, playing basketball one weekend at a gym in Chicago with his personal assistant, Reggie Love, a former Duke Blue Devil varsity football and basketball player, and a few of Love's much younger, perhaps fitter friends.

The injury caused occasional soreness, but Obama -- who exercises about six times a week -- assumed it would get better. But the pain acted up when he was overseas, causing him some discomfort.

Last night Obama decided to make sure it was nothing more serious than a muscle strain -- and the doctor confirmed that's all it was. "Likely from trying to guard people 20 years younger than he is playing basketball," Gibbs said.

Not only did Obama work out Sunday after speaking at the UNITY conference in D.C. and before attending a BBQ with his family, but the presumptive Democratic nominee also exercised Monday morning for 40 minutes prior to flying to Washington, D.C. from Chicago.

Obama's exercise regimen alternates between various cardiovascular exercises, weights, and basketball. He has told ABC's Diane Sawyer that he needs to work out in order to keep weight on.

Those close to him say Obama, who doesn't drink coffee, needs to work out every morning to get his energy up.

Last Wednesday, Senator Obama also had his hip examined due to soreness, visiting the East Bank Club's doctor.

July 28, 2008
ABC News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,549 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:33 am
Quote:
Those close to him say Obama, who doesn't drink coffee, needs to work out every morning to get his energy up

Is he still on the nicotine patch?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:55 am
I believe that his cartilagenous connective tissue can repair itself at his age, unlike someone who is , say, 71years old
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:59 am
Talk about playing to the oppositions strength.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:59 am
Since he's been a heavy smoker in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to know Obama has early onset osteoporosis.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:02 am
Gee, you ever read the sports injuries tables?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:50 am
Based on the title of this thread, if Obama needs a wheelchair, he can then be likened to FDR in the history books, as someone who was concerned about the ordinary citizen and spent time in a wheelchair.

Continuing the analogy, in my opinion, Eleanor and Michelle might be intellectual equals, but not in the realm of looks. Michelle lapped Eleanor at least twice around the track, in my opinion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:24 am
The snipe ads and this "phoney" propoganda seems to be what the GOP is relying on. Why dont they spend time trying to extol their candidate by plying the airwaves and print with tales of the strengths of McCain. Its getting kinda childish when we hear about Obama needing a wheelchair because of his ability to drive to the net.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:06 pm
didn't fdr run the country from a wheelchair?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:13 pm
Well the story I hear about FDR was that he was hung very magnificently and the wheelchair (and blanket) spared the public from viewing his immense Pocket Snake
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 01:34 pm
What kind of idiotic attention whore posts something this ridiculous?

Oh, wait. Carry on.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 01:59 pm
farmerman wrote:
Well the story I hear about FDR was that he was hung very magnificently and the wheelchair (and blanket) spared the public from viewing his immense Pocket Snake

that can be problematic however I still prefer to stand
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
Miller wrote:
Since he's been a heavy smoker in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to know Obama has early onset osteoporosis.

Cancer is also a good bet. McCain may outlive Obama.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:29 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
farmerman wrote:

that can be problematic however I still prefer to stand

If I'm tired, I just use mine as a third leg - sort of a a human tripod if you will.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:14 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Miller wrote:

Obama may have lung/throat cancer already. Is that why he looks light green?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
Miller wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Miller wrote:

Funny, McCain is the one who actually has had cancer, yet you worry about Obama?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Gee, you ever read the sports injuries tables?

Are you mentioned?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Miller wrote:

Funny, McCain is the one who actually has had cancer, yet you worry about Obama?

Cycloptichorn

Obama was the smoker, not McCain.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm
Quote:
ABC News' Sunlen Miller Reports: While Obama spent 91 minutes at a campaign event yesterday, the Illinois Senator spent a total of 188 minutes in the gym yesterday - making three separate stops to Chicago gyms over the course of one day...........
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/obama-hits-the.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:23 pm
Miller wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Miller wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Obama was the smoker, not McCain.

Yes, but McCain actually had cancer. This makes it FAR more likely that he will come down with it again, then Obama will. Do you deny this?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies