Is the incomplete sentence accepble?

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:04 pm
As soon as I woke up, I headed out to look for a used seatbelt and check out the cost of repairing the rust on the roof and the hood. I was so impatient that I didn't even have had breakfast first. Of course, my furry friend came along. The first destination, a local junkyard. I was told a few months ago that there they was a junkyard along the road leading to the highway.

Is the incomplete sentence an error or is it acceptable? Are there any errors?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 603 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:31 pm
Re: Is the incomplete sentence accepble?
tanguatlay wrote:
As soon as I woke up, I headed out to look for a used seatbelt and check out the cost of repairing the rust on the roof and the hood. I was so impatient that I didn't even have had (Delete "had") breakfast first. Of course, my furry friend came along. The first destination, a local junkyard. I was told a few months ago that there they (Delete "they") was a junkyard along the road leading to the highway.

Many thanks.

Your bold face is an incomplete sentence. I would not use it in an English class, but I, and many other people talk that way all the time.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:02 pm
tanguatlay wrote:
As soon as I woke up, I headed out to look for a used seatbelt and check out the cost of repairing the rust on the roof and the hood. I was so impatient that I didn't even have had breakfast first. Of course, my furry friend came along. The first destination, a local junkyard. I was told a few months ago that there they was a junkyard along the road leading to the highway.

Many thanks.

The incomplete sentence is acceptable in informal English. It sounds fine in the paragraph you've provided.

There is an error: I was told a few months ago that there they was a junkyard along the road leading to the highway.

Delete the "they."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:21 pm
Roberta wrote:
tanguatlay wrote:

Many thanks.

The incomplete sentence is acceptable in informal English. It sounds fine in the paragraph you've provided.

There is an error: I was told a few months ago that there they was a junkyard along the road leading to the highway.

Delete the "they."

In that paragraph, I would use a colon after "junkyard", instead of a full stop. The reason for that is, it links to the reason/explanation in the next sentence.

But it's not necessary, it's okay as it is.
0 Replies