sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:01 am
In terms of the title question, there was one presidential candidate who was not president at the time who preceded Obama -- McCain.

Quote:
Obama said he was puzzled by the criticism by some of his trip abroad as "audacious" or somehow inappropriate, arguing as he did in a press conference yesterday that McCain had also traveled to these countries -- as well as to Mexico, Canada, and Colombia after winning his party's nomination.

"Nobody suggested that that was 'audacious.' I think people assumed that what he was doing was talk to world leaders who we may have deal with should we become president. That's part of the job that I'm applying for," he said. "Now, I admit we did it really well. But that shouldn't be a strike against me. You know, if I was bumbling and fumbling through this thing, I would have been criticized for that."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/27/1227666.aspx

A bit more detail:

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/28/us/politics/28symbols.html
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:26 am
engineer wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
But until they have debates how do you know Obama will best Mc Cain. He sure didn't blow Hillary away. As a matter of fact at times he didn't look good at all. I would like to see him think on his feet more and not give scripted speeches so much. Reagan was a great speech reader but not so much of a president.

of course it's all speculation... which does make one wonder why Obama won't do it.... at first glance he certainly seems head and shoulders above McCain in the speaking department... but great speech doesn't necessarily contain great content.

My take is that he learned his lesson in the primary. There is no value to 10 debates. You run out of questions after three and start asking about what jewelry the candidates wear. He's got three debates scheduled. Why do you need more than that?
I concur and would add that as the clear front runner; the risk/reward ratio is quite different than the candidate that is trying to come from behind. Where McCain needs to get his message out to more people; Obama can do so at the snap of his fingers, in settings that better showcase his skills. Better questions would be; why should he agree to a setting that showcases his opponent's strengths (and McCain is much better in a Town hall setting than others)? Why should he offer McCain anymore chance to close the gap than the public demands? Essentially; why throw your opponent a bone? If he can leave well enough alone, without losing polling points, it would be a silly risk to try and fix that which isn't broken.

Just like Hillary before him; McCain benefits far more from this type of exchange because it allows him to speak in front of people who are there for Obama. Obama is much better off making McCain drain his war chest to get his message out, than to allow him a free ride on his rock star-like coattails. As George Bush would say: strategery!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
Is that the politics of change or the same old same old?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
I understand that the French officially surrendered
to Germany as soon as they saw these pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/obamaGermany.jpg
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:18 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Question I don't think Obama need abandon sound political strategy to effect change. Quite the contrary, really; because he has to win to effect anything.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:27 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I don't think Obama need abandon sound political strategy to effect change. Quite the contrary, really; because he has to win to effect anything.

He's already influencing a lot of people. I think the distinction is he has to win the presidency in order to see his proposals and policies through. Even if he loses he still will have gained enormous clout for having run and gotten this far.

I thought his trip to the Middle East was effective and a smart political move.

His speech in Germany, however, was embarrassing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:29 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Question I don't think Obama need abandon sound political strategy to effect change. Quite the contrary, really; because he has to win to effect anything.

so in order to effect the politics of change he has to follow the standard play book?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

so in order to effect the politics of change he has to follow the standard play book?
Just what were you expecting him to do; campaign for McCain... just to be opposite? It is irrational to expect him be different just for different's sake. I would think a well run Democratic Presidential Campaign in itself would satisfy a lot of the hunger for change. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:42 am
I personally, and I'm just a bear.... would debate or face off with anyone anytime anywhere if I was completely confident in my positions and views and not concern myself with anything else.

The fact that one must play the game in order to get in and change the game speaks volumes IMO.... and has been going on for years and years.

Let me paraphrase.... insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result but....... hope springs eternal does it not?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Let me paraphrase.... insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

It's kinda like the democrats polishing a turd and trying to get it elected ... insanity.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:46 am
however in the interest of fairness.... hope springs eternal....

then again..."Idealism is what precedes experience, cynicism is what follows."
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:13 pm
Woröd tour is not.
A tour to substantiate the Amercan vissions
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 01:43 pm
Hope does not spring eternal. I am so sick of politicians spewing the hope shyte that I can hardly stand it. Year after year another Obama who promises us the world until he is elected and than comes the real change in attitude when he is sure of election. I think the electorate is not capable of rational thought. They all need a hero to screw them.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:45 pm
Obama seems to be involved in all sorts of high level meetings. He may be more centrist than his original cheerleaders thought?

http://www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues/2008_7_28.html#D689C831
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:46 pm
Foofie wrote:
Obama seems to be involved in all sorts of high level meetings. He may be more centrist than his original cheerleaders thought?

http://www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues/2008_7_28.html#D689C831

His original cheerleaders always said he was a centrist.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 06:09 pm
rabel, You're not alone in that frustrated feeling of helplessness. I think it's because of what happened since Bush's "I'm a uniter, not a divider" and using the words "compassionate conservative" while creating one of the worst economic mess in modern times that will last much longer than the next president's term of office to recover what we once had as a country.

I don't have much hope - even with Obama's promise of "change." It's my opinion that Obama will win the presidency in November, but there are just too many handicaps for any president to effect change. Any change that comes will be primarily in winning back many of our former allies. Economy-wise, our country is in too deep a debt including most consumers. With the lack of open credit as in the past few decades, the higher cost of food and fuel, our economy will constrict further which will impact all forms of taxation revenues. That in turn will exacerbate our total economy effecting more layoffs. People who understand the housing market is saying that 2.5 million families will be losing their homes this year. That means more banks will be in trouble.

It's really scary out there, and I'm not talking about terrorists; its' our economy.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:16 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I personally, and I'm just a bear.... would debate or face off with anyone anytime anywhere if I was completely confident in my positions and views and not concern myself with anything else.

The fact that one must play the game in order to get in and change the game speaks volumes IMO.... and has been going on for years and years.

Let me paraphrase.... insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result but....... hope springs eternal does it not?

love it! Exclamation
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:39 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's really scary out there, and I'm not talking about terrorists; its' our economy.

The Bush adminstratio has just past the torch of the debt, which is enormous, something close to a bazillion trillion jillion dollars, as if they were handing over a popsicle..."Oh, by the way, do you want cherry or lime? and here's the debt we've managed to get the US in...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:26 am
Heres an interesting analysis of Obama's trip and the results...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25869729/

Quote:
But many analysts believe that if Obama completes his march to the Oval Office, this backing will dissipate the first time he presses Europe to send more troops to Afghanistan or to support an aggressive U.S. military stance at odds with Europe's strong preference for diplomacy over cruise missiles.

They also believe that complex long-standing disputes over issues like trade tariffs and the use of genetically modified food would not be solved more easily just because of the new president's evident popularity in Europe.

Germano Dottori, an analyst at Rome's Center for Strategic Studies, said the enthusiasm for Obama is likely to "cool down at the first real test" because he does not reflect a fundamental policy change.

(snip)

Quote:
Everyone is ready to clap their hands when Obama talks about 'tearing down the walls,' but when he asks Europe to pay the price for it I am sure the doubts will resurface," Dottori said. "Obama is not calling for a demilitarization of U.S. foreign policy and when European audiences realize this, their enthusiasm will fade away."

This dynamic can already be seen in Germany. Chancellor Angela Merkel, through her spokesman, showered Obama with praise for his stated desire to work with Europe, but pointed out that Germany cannot accede to his desire to place more troops in Afghanistan for the battle against the Taliban and al-Qaida.

(snip)

Quote:
Inderjeet Parma, head of the politics department at the University of Manchester in England, said he read every Obama speech since 2002 before concluding that Obama would not represent a basic change in U.S. policy. This would inevitably lead to a serious loss of popularity in Europe, he said.

"Obama hasn't said too much of great substance yet, he's made a lot of friendly overtures, but he'll be asking for commitments and burden sharing, and that's when other countries might find it hard to go along," Parma said.

(snip)

Quote:
Political analysts also believe that Obama's trade policies, as spelled out during the primary campaign, are more protectionist than McCain's and more likely to lead to a confrontation with Europe.

So apparently even the Europeans arent ready to trust this guy and blindly follow him.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:55 am
I don't think Obama toured the world and at the rate he's going - he never will.
0 Replies