WASH your damn filthy hands!!!!!!!!

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:45 pm
To answer, liquid soaps seem to smother and kill mealy bug, whatever it's science name.

Remember my weird thread on making your own shampoo? One of the answers was castile soap in glycerine. I got as far as the glycerine, which is a substrate for what I figure is the active ingredient. Not sure how good the glycerine is for plants in burning sun, and it's the soap that does the job.

(I just made a jaunt to Home Depot and bought some concentrate stuff, re the fatty acids. We'll see.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:50 pm
I suppose I should add that HIV (virus) was monitored to last 45 seconds in the air, last I looked at anything about that, which was probably at the height of the Reagan aids fear. I'd be glad to look at recent respectable data.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:52 pm
I leafed through a book written by a doctor, which was about how much disease & sickness is spread to hospital patients from doctors not washing their hands enough. He was saying it's virtually impossible for a doctor to be able to wash their hands as much as they should, but there's a lot of room for improvement, and people get, like, wicked sick, and stuff from it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:02 pm
You're talking about mrsa and another, clostridium dificilis (?). This is not inconsequential, see my USC reference, but trying to make humans bacteria free is a fool's errand re our immune systems.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:12 pm
Found the USC article, which is a reasonable worrywart article.

The link doesn't work, will chase it down.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:13 pm
Here ya go -

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/01/health/he-mrsa1
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:
You're talking about mrsa and another, clostridium dificilis (?). This is not inconsequential, see my USC reference, but trying to make humans bacteria free is a fool's errand re our immune systems.

there are scientists who believe that the rash of food allergies in recent decades is due to our immune system not responding well to a bacteria depleted environment. Our immune system does not have enough enemies to fight so it starts to pick fights with stuff that is not out to get us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:20 pm
I've seen that, don't know that I agree with that in full. There does seem to be a role for acquaintance with bacteria for children, re antibody development, etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:27 pm
I used to work in immunology research and then not as a phD, all rather long ago now. JPB is much more up to date on med related stuff than I am, generally speaking. But sometimes I need to speak up as an at least mildly following reader.

I'm glad to be argued with by the knowledgeable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I've seen that, don't know that I agree with that in full. There does seem to be a role for acquaintance with bacteria for children, re antibody development, etc.

But wait, I don't know that I don't agree with that either. Didn't mean to seem all knowing. Await more info.
0 Replies