On Our Way Stateside... Advice Please...

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:18 am
I agree with Ehbeth here, you can't hit an ER for stitches for less than $500.

Give that some more thought, Izz...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
Most travel accident coverage included on most credit cards will cover E.R. and stitches or casting a broken foot or any other accidents likely to be incurred. Most American hospitalization plans--even HMOs--will also cover temporary emergency hospitalization for illness when traveling but such coverage can be limited to essential immediate care and then you would need to be sent home for followup. No clue what Izzie's insurance covers but chances are if somebody drops something on her foot at the airport or wherever, her credit card insurance will cover it if it is the same kind of benefit I have on mine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 01:02 pm
FF - there are all of those lovely exclusions related to pre-existing conditions etc on most cards. MizzIzz has been reading her fine print carefully, and with good reason.

There are other concerns with the coverage offered by credit card companies but they are secondary to the pre-existing conditions issue.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 01:32 pm
ehBeth wrote:
FF - there are all of those lovely exclusions related to pre-existing conditions etc on most cards. MizzIzz has been reading her fine print carefully, and with good reason.

There are other concerns with the coverage offered by credit card companies but they are secondary to the pre-existing conditions issue.

I don't think pre-existing can be applied in cases of routine accidents though. How can an accident be pre-existing? For other medical emergencies, however, yes your own health care coverage will need to cover it or supplemental insurance will be necessary. I think any smart US lawyer would be able to make a credit card company pony up for an ER visit following a bonafide accident if accident coverage is included in the benefits. If the accident aggravated a previous injury, that could be a problem, yes, but still the ER visit and X-ray to determine that should be covered.

I could certainly be wrong about that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:22 pm
DO NOT SKIMP ON THE INSURANCE !!!
and make absolutely sure it's from a VERY RELIABLE company !!!
they should have an 1-800 phone number for quick access from the U.S.

(we have a $ 1 million coverage for out of country medical emergency treatment - unrestricted - as part of my insurance package with my former employer - an insurance company Shocked :wink: ) .
enjoy your travel !
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
Oh crap... just tell them you are in the country illegally... you'll go to the head of the line and get all your care for free.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:58 pm
I agree with ehBeth and RH re emergency room costs. I partially cut the tendon on a finger many years ago while slicing a pork roast. That was near $500. back then, probably the early eighties, yipes.
That would be a regular old stupid accident, unrelated to pre-existing condition except of course for stupidity.

I have to reread what you said, Izzie, about going with which insurance..

Back in a minute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:06 pm
OK, reread it, agree with your choice.

Will this cover kiddo? If not, perhaps the credit card I presume you booked with would cover him for x amount.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:29 pm
I agree you should not skimp on travel insurance that would cover all eventualities, pre-existing or not, if you can afford it. If you cannot afford it, it does become a calculated risk. At times most of us have to decide what is and what is unacceptable risk as well as what we feel that we can or cannot reasonably afford.

I do believe for the unexpected accident the travel insurance that comes with the credit card will get you into the E.R. and cover immediate emergency treatment.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:45 pm
Take the insurance, Izzie!

Don't risk your entire funds because of a small accident.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:45 pm
Echoing the views of others. Buy travel health insurance. It's worth it, whatever the cost. 200 G.B.P. translates into something like 400 U.S., doesn't it? It sounds reasonable, from my personal experience, for a pre-existing medical condition or conditions that are not in remission.

A friend of mine travelled to the U.S. earlier this summer. She didn't purchase travel health insurance. Her son required an emergency appendectomy. She has no idea yet what the ultimate cost will be, is afraid to find out, I think, but here's an excerpt from one article I found on a financial website called Stockhouse:

Quote:
In fact, a four-day stay in a U.S. hospital for an appendectomy could cost US$39,400, with only CDN$1,600 covered by a government health insurance plan (GHIP). A one-day stay in a U.S. hospital for a broken arm and wrist could cost US$32,600, with only CDN$400 covered by a GHIP.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:52 pm
The wonderful world of American medicine...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:07 pm
If you take medication, take more than you will require for the number of days you're away. I take double the amount that I expect to use, just in case, and keep it with me, in a carry-on, rather than in my checked luggage.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:41 pm
Yep - going to take out the insurance....

3 days to go... think I need to confirm my flights... need to go find e-ticket now.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrm....plans changed again. Problems meeting up with my niece, can't afford to do the Rockies so....

enquiring about a small cabin in Arkansas - (fell in love with that chapel Eva).

Possibly now fly to Tulsa, hire car for 10 days - go to Arkansas, Beaver Lake - couple days in cabin - swim, just...be - drive to Kansas City - grab a friend there, drive down to another friends, back to KC and fly back to Dallas and home.

Seems reasonable - if I can do it. Waiting to hear back on the cabin before I can do anything about the flights and car.

At the moment - just wanna leave.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:52 pm
Izzie wrote:
Yep - going to take out the insurance....

3 days to go... think I need to confirm my flights... need to go find e-ticket now.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrm....plans changed again. Problems meeting up with my niece, can't afford to do the Rockies so....

enquiring about a small cabin in Arkansas - (fell in love with that chapel Eva).

Possibly now fly to Tulsa, hire car for 10 days - go to Arkansas, Beaver Lake - couple days in cabin - swim, just...be - drive to Kansas City - grab a friend there, drive down to another friends, back to KC and fly back to Dallas and home.

Seems reasonable - if I can do it. Waiting to hear back on the cabin before I can do anything about the flights and car.

At the moment - just wanna leave.

The offer still stands if you decide you want to come to or thru Kentucky.
We are is western Ky, and we have an extra bedroom if you want.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:02 pm
Thanku Mysteryman (and congratulations again!)

I would love to have visited with you and your new wife. Your offer is so kind. This time tho - well, the tickets are now booked.

ALL CHANGE again!

Now.....Dallas, Tulsa, Arkansas, Kansas, Tulsa, Dallas.... and hopefully seeing a SheW and my little neice in between times. I am going to fly to Tulsa and drive - not any long distances tho - and I am going to the Little Chapel. Little fella will be navigating - you will see all the pictures. Got a nice little cabin near a big lake - and then going to see good friends. Wish I could get to meet all of you. Would be such a pleasure to meet you all in person.

So excited - cannot switch off my brain at all - got a lot to get thru in the next 2 days - still haven't resolved the travel insurance issues - but working on it.

Haven't started to pack...but when I thought about - I don't really need to bring too much so.... that'll be Wed nite. Lots in between now and then.

Thanku all for your input and advice. Any more things I need to know - please let me know. Razz
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:06 pm
G'nite muffin...

Cool
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:07 pm
Cool

ok ok.... Ima gone to my berth! Music maestro?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:48 pm
waving (enviously!)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:23 pm
Just one more bit of info if you are driving while you are here.

This country is much bigger then Europe.
For example, it can take 2 days to drive from one side of Texas to the other, (from Louisiana to New Mexico across interstate 10).
In Europe, you can drive across several countries in that same time.

Dont expect to be able to drive everywhere you want in just a few hours, depending on where you go it can take a while to get there.
0 Replies