On Our Way Stateside... Advice Please...

JPB

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:20 am
Laughing

Shocked

Very Happy

we'll talk soon.

Luv you!!!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:15 am
Nebraska--rolling hills topped by large farmhouses and big red barns--wheat fields and some of the best steak houses in the world. If you stop in at Omaha or Lincoln, ask the locals where the nearest best steak house is. You'll be directed to paradise.

Kansas is lush and green on the east side, open rolling prairie on the west side. Not too much scenery to look at either way, but if you go to Kansas City, there are also some great eateries, fountains, and if you have time to take a tour bus tour, you'll see some really great architecture plus learn about the local history which is quite interesting. (If you're in the mood for side trips and want something really off the beaten path, the world's deepest hand dug well is at Greensburg KS--still a lot of tornado damage visbile there though--and one of the wierdest local attractions is the "Garden of Eden" at Lucas KS. If you're on I-70, stop in at the Brookville Hotel at Abilene and order some of their world famous cole slaw. The Eisenhower Library is there too and makes for an interesting quick tour. I was thinking that the world's biggest ball of twine was somewhere in Kansas too, but hubby says that it is in Minnesota.

Headed toward Dallas you'll probably miss the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles, but there are some interesting sight seeing things in Oklahoma City and a beautiful state park south of there at Turner Falls in what passes for mountains in Oklahoma.

Dallas itself is a legend as is Houston.

Enjoy Izzie. Wish I was going on a long adventure this summer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:48 pm
Izzie wrote:
Eva - would love to see you and SonOfEva.... We won't be around there 'til about 6-8th August I think.....en route to Kansas. You around then girlie???????

Oh no! We'll be on vacation from July 26 thru Aug. 10. Going to Hawaii and San Francisco for our 25th anniversary. I was really hoping you'd be coming through here before we left. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Headed toward Dallas you'll probably miss the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles, but there are some interesting sight seeing things in Oklahoma City and a beautiful state park south of there at Turner Falls in what passes for mountains in Oklahoma...

Whatever you do, plan to MISS the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles!

Desolate, desperate country.

Like I said before, the eastern half of Oklahoma is much nicer. Lots of green hills, rivers and lakes. If you REALLY want scenery, drive through Arkansas!

If the heat (95-100 degrees F in the afternoons/evenings) is really going to bother you, I'd recommend driving at night. Or you could plan to do outdoor things in the mornings. By noon (if not before), you will want to be in air conditioning.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:06 pm
Ack, timing, but you'll both have good trips..

Re Nebraska, I'm agreeing with Foxfyre, in my retrospect way. Best steak I ever ate was at the cafe, Johnny's, in Omaha, right by the stockyards. Nothing fancy, just great. (And that includes the Chicago Stockyard Inn, back in the day.) But I'm talking 1959, I've no clue re restaurants there now (ha, a half century later).

That film I talk about was an industrial film, your basic sales promo, shot in various stockyards in the midwest for Armour. Don't get me going, as the feed additive it was about has long been banned, rightfully, as it contained diethylstilbesterol; didn't check my spelling. Cringe, re DES.

I'm on the other side of the beef raising phenom now, but that was then, and the steaks were incredible.

(I'll tuck a word in here for Humboldt Grassfed Beef, oh, never mind.)

Looking back, filming that was a neg for my father, as more money flowed out than in, with despond soon to come. But... and I've not considered this before as there was other stuff going on, if he had learned that DES was the bad stuff for all that it was, it would have been part of his overwhelming depression.
Let's call this a light bulb.

Not to drag the thread to all that. But I won't edit it either. The history of the midwest is full of tough thickets and some hardy struggling people.

I bet it's still beef-land, though.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:53 am
We've eaten at Johnny's in Omaha. The steak was incredible, but the appetizers were what I especially remember: succulant, extremely tasty, and unidentifiable. We speculated whether they were truffles? Delicate scallops? What? Finally asked the servor and were informed they were Johnny's own special portabello mushrooms. (We decided our palates would never make it in Chef Ramsey's Hell's Kitchen.)

A route through Nebraska and Kansas headed toward Dallas wouldn't include Arkansas, but if one wanted to jog east, I agree with Eva that Arkansas is beautiful. Two especially interesting sidetrips would be Eureka Springs and Devil's Den - or I am assuming both are still great spots as I haven't been to either in many years. My hubby's twin sister lives in Havana AR at the foot of Magazine Mountain, the highest point in the Ozarks, between Fort Smith and Little Rock and we visit there periodically. Beautiful.

And hey, the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles aren't THAT bad. We lived there too for several years and retain very fond memories. My son lives there now and doesn't want live anywhere else in the world. They love it there. Okay, the scenery is the pits, but at the very least, a traveler shouldn't miss the rearends of all those Cadillacs buried in a field at Amarillo. Smile

Oh, and I looked it up. That biggest ball of twine? It IS in Kansas at Cawker City. (As you can see, I have great taste in travel destinations. Smile)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:11 am
Hey everyone - thanks so much for all your input. I really appreciate it.

I am taking on board the advice I am being given - for those who know my medical stuff - well, I agree with ya!!!!!! So - am now planning on trying to fly around and just do a little driving (which if my driving licence doesn't arrive here in the UK by the time I leave, will be a moot point!)

However, am hoping to fly to Kansas City and then possibly on to Chicago - it's all about timings at the moment to fit in to schedules - we're pretty easy - so can travel to suit.

Desperately want to visit Chicago and our friends there in MI - also Houston and Austin!!! OH MY!

Arkansas sounds wonderful - and something I am thinking real hard about right now - I really quite fancy that and would prefer not to be in a plane all the time - though that is the sensible option. Oh, if only I knew how I would be healthwise it would be so easy.

Anyhoo - I am planning and plotting right now - little fella is so excited.

Maybe I will get my niece to fly up to Dallas from Houston.... that may be a good plan.

Sent off the passport application for the little fella today. Please, all, keep fingers crossed - they are so pedantic here and send them back if there is anything remotely wrong.

Also sent off for my new driving licence (had old address on mine) - that's hopefully going to be back within 10 days. Please, all, toes crossed.

Verra excited! Very Happy

"Eureka Springs and Devil's Den" - I want to visit these places!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:46 am
Quote:
Sent off the passport application for the little fella today. Please, all, keep fingers crossed - they are so pedantic here and send them back if there is anything remotely wrong.

canadian passport authorities will NOT accept an application with a SMILING (!) applicant's face - must look dead serious !
and this is NOT a joke (canadians don't joke ! Shocked ) .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:51 am
hamburger wrote:
Quote:

canadian passport authorities will NOT accept an application with a SMILING (!) applicant's face - must look dead serious !
and this is NOT a joke (canadians don't joke ! Shocked ) .
hbg

You made me go look at my passport photo to see if I was smiling. I wasn't. I wonder if they would have accepted it if I was? Most people smile on their driver's license photos here though.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:56 am
I still have my California Driving Licence somewhere.... do they have expiry dates on do you know?

Passport photos are real strict here too - no smiling, no teeth, no...... personality.

Little fella looks nowt like his passport photo!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:01 am
Yes, Driver's licenses have expiration dates in all states. My last one here in New Mexico was a 10-year license, however. I don't know what California offers in that regard, but if you haven't been gone for a long time you might check. If it is still current, it would be valid anywhere in the states. (Don't quote me on that though as it is possible there could be legal ramifications due to change of address or whatever--does anybody else know about that?)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:05 am
HA - I expired on my birthday in 1996!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh - that was scary - when I lived in CA I was on big steroids and had BIG moon face and really bad rooooots in the blonde Razz
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:35 pm
Congratulations, Izzie! If you look better than your driver's license photo from 12 years ago, you must be livin' right!

Eureka Springs is a really lovely spot in northwest Arkansas. We go there every few years. It was a Victorian-era resort built around mineral springs. It's a little cooler there because it's in the mountains. Don't miss seeing this amazing little chapel just outside town. It was built about 25 or so years ago and won every architectural award there was...plus a few that were invented for it. All the materials were hand-carried to the site. It is a wonder.

Thorncrown Chapel
Don't miss the "virtual tour"!

Kansas City is definitely worth seeing, too. I love that town. Especially the area around Country Club Plaza. (Off to find a good link...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:46 pm
I thought that sounded familiar. A friend once led an architectural trip for seeing E. Fay Jones' work (I shoulda gone).

Wiki on Jones -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Fay_Jones

FF, I'm amazed Johnny's is still there....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
If you go to Kansas City, check out the barbecue joints. Arthur Bryants and Gates come to mind. Ribs and "burnt ends" - oh man, I'm getting hungry. Don't know much about other stuff to do there.

Chicago is a world class city through and through. Aside from my personal issues with the place, it has a wonderful selection of things to do and see, and great food. Check out the waterfront. Go for a boat ride to see the city from offshore, or even go deep water fishing. Take the elevator to the top of the John Hancock - twice - once on a clear day and once on a clear night. Eat at Gino's East. And Uno. And a steakhouse in River North. It's probably too much for the kiddo but Charlie Trotters is one of the best restaurants in the States, period. Go to a Cubs game at Wrigley, and eat a Vienna Beef hot dog washed down with a local beer. It doesn't get any better.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
FF, I'm amazed Johnny's is still there....

Well it has been awhile, but as one of the top three steakhouses in Omaha, I can't imagine that it is not.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:57 pm
OMGosh - that chapel is stunning.

Heck - it must get realllllllly hot in there.

So my sort of place to visit. I just showed the little fella and he said "WOW" - sitting here right beside me!

He wondered if the end of the chapel is a solid pane of glass? Looks just beautiful.

We really need to go there! Very Happy

(looking at a map now!)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 01:35 pm
Yes, the end of the chapel is another window. If you want to be truly inspired by nature, this is the place for it. The chapel blends perfectly into its setting. And no, despite all the glass, it's not that hot inside. Remember, it's in the woods, so it's always shaded by trees. It's just a short walk from the parking lot down a woodland pathway. (I'm not a serious walker, mind you.)

Oh! Another place your son would love...

If you go to Kansas City, be sure to take him to Union Station/Science City. It's a huge interactive science museum inside the old train station. My son absolutely loved it when he was that age. (Link: http://www.unionstation.org/)

Kansas City is usually about 10 degrees (F.) cooler than Dallas, for what it's worth. It can still get very hot in the daytime, though. Carry water bottles. You're coming at the absolute hottest time of year.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 01:39 pm
The chapel is indeed stunning and a spiritual experience to be inside--something akin to standing in the middle of Miur Woods where I bet Izzie has been too. Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:09 pm
Oh Muir Woods was fantastic - the size and magnificence of the Redwoods. Little fella and have been looking at maps all nite trying to figure the best options. Doing the Dallas - Kansas - AR 72632 - Little Rock - Dallas would be 18-19hours drive...... which is do-able over a number of days - but then I may not be able to do Chicago. Was too rushed today to phone the airline to see if we can change our flight to fly OUT for Chicago - that's tomorrow morning's project - maybe even trying to extend the trip for a few days would make a huge difference too.

I absolutlely have to see my niece and a certain young lady in Austin.... so......

planning and plotting Smile

Thanku all - possible fly to KC..... Plan C .....
0 Replies