Is it wrong to kill evil people?

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The ICC is a good thing. Crimes against humanity should be punished regardless of the nationality of the perpetrator. Or whether or not they play cricket.
justcj

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:16 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not referencing the ICTY?

The ICC issued a warent for Gaddafi's arrest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13927208

Or are you saying about the ICC's inability to enforce the death penalty? Because yes, you are right, they themselves are not able to (i wasn't able to edit my comment)... though it is hypothetically possible for the extradition of an ICC prisoner to result in death (i'm aware of the bars of extradition relating to capital punishment), as cover ups in governments, especially in under developed countries, are all to common in this day and age.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
No. Citizens r shielded by sovereignty.
What is a "crime against humanity"??

David
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:48 am
@justcj,
I'm saying the International Criminal Court cannot carry out the death sentence. For instance if Sayed Gadaffi is extradited to the Hague he will not face the death sentence, but if he is tried in Libya he could.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

No. Citizens r shielded by sovereignty.

No they're not.

Quote:
The chair of the influential House of Commons home affairs committee, Keith Vaz, has said the extradition of Sheffield student Richard O'Dwyer is the most apparent example of the "one-sided" UK/US extradition agreement which "did not protect the rights of British citizens".

O'Dwyer faces up to 10 years in a high-security US prison for alleged copyright violations after setting up tvshack.net in 2007, a search engine linking to sites where users could watch and occasionally download TV shows online.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/apr/19/us-uk-extradition-agreement-one-sided-keith-vaz
JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:05 am
The OP asks, in effect, if it's alright to kill someone who YOU consider (presume to be) "evil", much as did Zimmerman to the young man wearing a "hoody." Danerous business.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:09 am
@izzythepush,
What changes were made since WWII's criminal courts that executed war criminals?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
Did England waive its sovereignty, by extradition treaty ??

That is not exactly the same thing as being under the control of that "court".

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:17 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The ICC is a good thing.
Crimes against humanity should be punished regardless of the nationality of the perpetrator.
I doubt that it has competent jurisdiction.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not sure of the exact time frame, but there is no capital punishment in the EEC. I think we got rid of it in the UK sometime in the 60s.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
We have a one sided treaty, it's time it was changed. If someone commits a crime in the UK they should be tried in the UK.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
That sounds good to ME.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I know Dave, I'm arguing with the wrong person about this. The UK/USA extradition treaty is a political hot potato.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:37 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I know Dave, I'm arguing with the wrong person about this.
The UK/USA extradition treaty is a political hot potato.
I have no position on that matter, Izzy.
I wish u good luck.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 02:56 pm
@izzythepush,
The US is backwards when it comes to capital punishment. Even in California, we have over 700 on death row that costs taxpayers millions, because of the number of appeals by each inmate.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 05:22 pm
This brings to mind a case where a father shot and killed his son. The father saw evil in his son and felt that the best thing to do was to kill him. He loved his son, but he saw things from his own past and his son's behaviors that told him (the father) that he was doing the right thing by killing his son in order to save future innocent victims.

That was one trial where I was glad I wasn't on the jury. Depending on the evidence presented I may have found for the side of the father.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 05:23 pm
This is a difficult question. I am not an absolutist either in the question of capital punishment or war. I would not kill most of the people who are executed in the U.S. each year, but I would not hesitate to kill a Hitler if given the opportunity, and I think most of our wars are directly or indirectly related to the matter of profits (causas feas) . Yet I would have volunteered to fight against Hitler.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 07:19 pm
@JPB,
Justifiable murder is a hard topic to decide for jury members; I wouldn't want to be involved in such a case. It was bad enough I was on the jury of a rape-murder case that took three months; the second longest trial in Santa Clara County. The defendant is now serving a life term in prison without the possibility of parole. Another jury could have chosen to execute him.
rockpie

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 03:55 am
moral luck = no one is responsible = kill who you want
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Justifiable murder
That is an oxymoronic contradiction in terms.

David