Is it wrong to kill evil people?

DrewDad

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:52 pm
Only so long as they have no redeeming qualities, I imagine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 21,528 • Replies: 132
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
It is always wrong to kill anybody, whatever they have done.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:04 pm
You have to conclude that this is no longer (if it ever was) an area of agreement. It was once the western norm that life is sacred, that a man does not have a right to take another man's life, only God does. However, when the most powerful nation on earth, the leader of the free world, regularly adopts a policy of assassination (the latest target "high value terrorist targets"-what ever the hell that means) then it is no longer a norm that we live by.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:05 pm
Nope. Shoot em right between the eyes..

Thin the heard..
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:17 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
It was once the western norm that life is sacred, that a man does not have a right to take another man's life, only God does.

Really? When was that exactly?

I don't recall any period in western history when there wasn't a war of one sort or another taking place and I've never seen any accepted norm that killing another person in self-defense wasn't a legitimate recognized right.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Thin the heard..

Start with those who can't spell "herd".
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
>snort

im busted on that one..
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
We need to distinguish between evil people ( who posses a negative moral or ethical judgment) Wikipedia, and evil acts which according to Biblical theory the life of the perpetrator can be taken in response to. In western culture a person does not have the right to decide that a person is evil and thus take their life. I think that you will find that when witches and heretics have been killed those who killed them always maintained that they did not kill them, that God took them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:03 pm
What constitutes evil? How is it to be determined who is evil? Are you going to rely upon your own biased judgment, and just start blowing people away?

Silly question.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
Silly question.

Why Setanta, how judgemental of you.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
I'm with Setanta on this. "Evil" is a stupid word reeking of superstition.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:22 pm
contrex wrote:
I'm with Setanta on this. "Evil" is a stupid word reeking of superstition.

and so the substitute word is??? or can this idea not be talked about because we don't have language that will support it? Explain.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
Fairytale witches are "evil". Real people are more complex. That's what I meant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:30 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Silly question.

Why Setanta, how judgemental of you.

So the f*ck what? You're judgmental from the time you arise in the morning until you go to bed at night. You make a judgment about what would be best to wear, you make a judgment about what would be best for your breakfast, you make a judgment about the best route to get to work. There's nothing wrong with being judgmental, and you'd be up the old sh*t crick lickity-split if you weren't judgmental all day long, every day.

It is hilarious when people use the word judgmental as thought it were a pejorative, hoping to condemn those to whom it is applied.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:36 pm
contrex wrote:
"Evil" is a stupid word reeking of superstition.

You put that well. Good and bad is a plausible dichotomy. That which we feel helps us is good, that which we feel harms us is bad. But evil implies some vague and amorphous quality of depravity which is endemic in the person, situation, belief or activity to which it is applied. It is a word fraught with moral implication, which is exactly why people have usually used it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
contrex wrote:
"Evil" is a stupid word reeking of superstition.

You put that well. Good and bad is a plausible dichotomy. That which we feel helps us is good, that which we feel harms us is bad. But evil implies some vague and amorphous quality of depravity which is endemic in the person, situation, belief or activity to which it is applied. It is a word fraught with moral implication, which is exactly why people have usually used it.

considering that good/bad has never meant useful/ not useful your argument is bankrupt. Good/bad has always been a moral concept.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:47 pm
I believe that self defense is one of the few reasons it might be okay to kill. I once strongly supported a death penalty, but no longer do. Instead, I believe in life with no possibilty of parole. That, because too many innocents are pronounced guilty. No monster's life is sacred, but life without parole gets them out of the herd.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
considering that good/bad has never meant useful/ not useful your argument is bankrupt. Good/bad has always been a moral concept.

Horseshit, Rapist-boy. Read Beyond Good and Evil sometime. Educated yourself, rather than just shouting out opinions which are uninformed and ill-considered.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 02:58 pm
there is no such thing as "right and wrong", "good and bad", we should just be intelligent enough to behave in an intelligent way. We can ultimately do what we want, but we would be insulting ourselves if we used that as a justification to do what we want. But based on the intelligence of most people, at this very moment I would rather the world under illusion than the world under "truth". Give the human race time to grow up before we spill the beans.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 03:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

Horseshit, Rapist-boy. Read Beyond Good and Evil sometime. Educated yourself, rather than just shouting out opinions which are uninformed and ill-considered.

says the fool who uses one of the most radical philosophers around to support his view of the traditional understanding of a concept. With out even providing a quote I might add, or a scholarship opinion that his understanding of Nietzsche corresponds to the conventional wisdom of the experts on Nietzsche . Add in name calling and it seems that what we have is a post that is designed to be a drive by rather than a serious attempt to add to the debate.
0 Replies