InfraBlue
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:42 pm
To which hypocrisy are you laughing, MG, specifically?
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:07 am
InfraBlue wrote:
To which hypocrisy are you laughing, MG, specifically?


hobitbob wrote:
Despite the number of times the administration uses the example of the rebuilding of Japan and Germany, the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan are completely different. Firstly: The ethnic strife that exists in Afghanistan and Iraq were absent in Japan and Germany. Secondly: Both Japan and Germany had been been bled of resources by their wartime regimes. Thirdly: Both Japanese and German citizenry had been subject to a punishing campaign of aerial bobardment that provided incotrovertable evidence that they had "lost" the war. Fourthly: Both nations had grown weary of war and were more than ready for rebuilding and peace. I daresay none of these situations are applicable to modern Iraq or Afghanistan. In fact, the more applicable model in Iraq would be the reistance movements that appeared in response to German occupation during WWII. No matter how one measures it, the US is in the wrong in our invasion of Iraq. That we have done one good, in removing Hussein, does not negate the overall bad of our aggression.



hobitbob wrote:
Unfortunately, simlarities to Vietnam are valid and documentable.


This hypocracy. This is called having your cake and eating it too. One can find a multitude of links and facts to back ones story up if one looks hard enough.
0 Replies
 
hobitbob
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:04 am
McGentrix, I actually documented the similarities. I wouldn't lecture on hypocrisy so loud, if I were you.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:41 am
Damn! I swear my spelling gets worse everyday.

I actually write "whereing" instead of wearing earlier...

Anyways...I don't think anyone is comparing the actual countries of Iraq and Germany so much as they are comparing the time and money that it will take. But, to address your points:

Quote:
Firstly: The ethnic strife that exists in Afghanistan and Iraq were absent in Japan and Germany.
There was a period of ethnic cleansing in Germany if I recall...Maybe the tribalisation found in each place is different, but the animosity that one group felt towards the other was surely present.

Quote:
Secondly: Both Japan and Germany had been been bled of resources by their wartime regimes.
As opposed to the 12 years of economic sanctions and theft from the Hussein regime? I would think that Iraq's economy was quite ruined.

Quote:
Thirdly: Both Japanese and German citizenry had been subject to a punishing campaign of aerial bobardment that provided incotrovertable evidence that they had "lost" the war.

It was quite clear to the majority of Iraqis. If you asked an Iraqi, I will bet you that they would say that we shocked and awed them...

Quote:
Fourthly: Both nations had grown weary of war and were more than ready for rebuilding and peace.
and the Iraqi's aren't? You don't think they were tired of being afraid of saddam and his regime? Tired of fearing for thier lives? They were ready for intervention.

Vietnam took place in a jungle where the MAJORITY of people hated the US. Iraq is a desert where the MAJORITY of people appreciate the US. Completely uncomparable... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
hobitbob
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
mcgentrix wrote:
Vietnam took place in a jungle where the MAJORITY of people hated the US. Iraq is a desert where the MAJORITY of people appreciate the US. Completely uncomparable...
this is sarcasm, right?
0 Replies
 
Craven de Kere
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:16 am
McGentrix,

Honest inquiry here: where do you derive the notion that the majority of Iraqis appreciate the U.S?

I only ask because I have seen nothing but speculation about this question. I am looking for a poll or somesuch, no matter how unscientific.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:59 am
Well, here's one at least...
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:57 pm
I really don't know ...

From Jube 1945 until 31th December 1945, ten US-soldiers died in occupied Germany.
None was killed by a German.
0 Replies
 
Craven de Kere
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
McGentrix,

BBB just posted the first scientific poll. It is a positive one for righties and you should check it out.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:12 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
McGentrix,

BBB just posted the first scientific poll. It is a positive one for righties and you should check it out.


Where?
0 Replies
 
Brand X
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:17 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
McGentrix,

Honest inquiry here: where do you derive the notion that the majority of Iraqis appreciate the U.S?

I only ask because I have seen nothing but speculation about this question. I am looking for a poll or somesuch, no matter how unscientific.


Iraqi poll
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:20 pm
Dammit! That's the one I had to friggin' dig up! Grrr! Oh, well. Good eye there Brand X!
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Insightful article
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/04/2021 at 01:14:38