PDiddie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:46 am
Re: Insightful article
McGentrix, trying to avoid revealing he was excerpting Coulter, wrote:
On the basis of their recent pronouncements, the position of the Democratic Party seems to be that Saddam Hussein did not hit us on 9-11, but Halliburton did.

The Democrats know, unlike this crazy witch, that it was OSAMA BIN FORGOTTEN LADEN.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:05 am
I posted a freaking link. I guess I thought most here would be smart enough to actually follow it to see the source if they were interested. I had no interest in deceiving you.

I thought that line was stupid myself.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:21 am
As I read through the above posts and ponder the future of A2K, I remember that old saying: "You shall be known by the company you keep..."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:34 am
Well, when it comes to blonde female conservatives, I'm more of a Debbie Schlussel fan. She's cuter, more educated, and not on coke.

Another insightful article:

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/

Perhaps a celebrity boxing match is in order....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:39 am
Italgato wrote:
I think McGentrix may have been reading Judge Richard A. Posner's book- "An Affair of State." Posner said:

Italgato wrote:
Buckley may not be Professor Hobibit's favorite intellectual, but a commentator far wiser than he, namely, Richard A. Posner, has opined:

Italgato wrote:
I am sure that Joe from Chicago is familiar with the works and person of Judge Posner- chief judge of the Seventh Curcuit Court of Appeals. In his book, An Affair of State, Posner states( P. 31)

Italgato wrote:
Perhaps Frank Apisa is right. I don' t think so. There are others who don't think so. Judge Richard A, Posner doesn't think so. Judge Posner wrote( in his book "An Affair of State" P. 266

Anyone else get the impression that gato must really love Richard Posner? Or maybe it's just that gato is Richard Posner. Of course, that would amount to the same thing.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:46 am
Nah - he's loved Posner for years - quotes him every chance he gets.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:14 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Italgato wrote:
I think McGentrix may have been reading Judge Richard A. Posner's book- "An Affair of State." Posner said:

Italgato wrote:
Buckley may not be Professor Hobibit's favorite intellectual, but a commentator far wiser than he, namely, Richard A. Posner, has opined:

Italgato wrote:
I am sure that Joe from Chicago is familiar with the works and person of Judge Posner- chief judge of the Seventh Curcuit Court of Appeals. In his book, An Affair of State, Posner states( P. 31)

Italgato wrote:
Perhaps Frank Apisa is right. I don' t think so. There are others who don't think so. Judge Richard A, Posner doesn't think so. Judge Posner wrote( in his book "An Affair of State" P. 266

Anyone else get the impression that gato must really love Richard Posner? Or maybe it's just that gato is Richard Posner. Of course, that would amount to the same thing.

Hey, I guess it beats quoting something from Hustler Magazine -- and Posner's book may be the only books he's read recently -- like in the last decade.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:15 am
Perhaps, Mr. Apisa. However, if you are alert, you will discover I may quote from others.

You may not have noticed my allusion to two other favorites-

Steven Pinker's "The Blank Slate"

and

Thomas Sowell's "Race and Culture"

Both very good, I assure you.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 03:07 am
Re: Insightful article
McGentrix wrote:
After World War II, the United States ran the Japanese occupation unilaterally. Without the meddling of other nations, the Japanese occupation went off without a hitch. Within five years, Gen. Douglas MacArthur had imposed a constitutional democracy on Japan with a bicameral legislature, a bill of rights and an independent judiciary. Now the only trouble Japan causes is its insistence on selling good products to Americans at cheap prices.

that actually is a problem considering that those products infringe on US patents.

japan surrendered unconditionally and there were 0 US casualties after the war.
if that were the case in iraq i wouldn't mind keeping the UN out of the loop either.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:01 pm
Despite the number of times the administration uses the example of the rebuilding of Japan and Germany, the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan are completely different. Firstly: The ethnic strife that exists in Afghanistan and Iraq were absent in Japan and Germany. Secondly: Both Japan and Germany had been been bled of resources by their wartime regimes. Thirdly: Both Japanese and German citizenry had been subject to a punishing campaign of aerial bobardment that provided incotrovertable evidence that they had "lost" the war. Fourthly: Both nations had grown weary of war and were more than ready for rebuilding and peace. I daresay none of these situations are applicable to modern Iraq or Afghanistan. In fact, the more applicable model in Iraq would be the reistance movements that appeared in response to German occupation during WWII. No matter how one measures it, the US is in the wrong in our invasion of Iraq. That we have done one good, in removing Hussein, does not negate the overall bad of our aggression.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:17 pm
hobitbob wrote:
In fact, the more applicable model in Iraq would be the reistance movements that appeared in response to German occupation during WWII.

Excellent point, Bob.

Thank you for making it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:29 pm
Yes, well, now be prepared for Italgato to post pages and pages of stuff to scroll through. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:52 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Despite the number of times the administration uses the example of the rebuilding of Japan and Germany, the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan are completely different. Firstly: The ethnic strife that exists in Afghanistan and Iraq were absent in Japan and Germany. Secondly: Both Japan and Germany had been been bled of resources by their wartime regimes. Thirdly: Both Japanese and German citizenry had been subject to a punishing campaign of aerial bobardment that provided incotrovertable evidence that they had "lost" the war. Fourthly: Both nations had grown weary of war and were more than ready for rebuilding and peace. I daresay none of these situations are applicable to modern Iraq or Afghanistan. In fact, the more applicable model in Iraq would be the reistance movements that appeared in response to German occupation during WWII. No matter how one measures it, the US is in the wrong in our invasion of Iraq. That we have done one good, in removing Hussein, does not negate the overall bad of our aggression.

Now you know how the right feels everytime some one from the left starts comparing Iraq to Vietnam.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:57 pm
Unfortunately, simlarities to Vietnam are valid and documentable.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 03:27 pm
Heh! That's funny!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 03:38 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Heh! That's funny!

No, it actually illustrates the tendency of many to avoid facing issues they wish not to think of.
Similarities between the early stages of US involvement in Vietnam and the US involvement on Iraq:
-Unilateral attempt by a foreign power to impose a change in government on an unwiling populace.
-Establishment of a ruling body of indigenous pesons whose actual acceptability to the population is nil, and therefore must be propped up by US military force (See Karzai in Afghanistan,as well).
-Rewarding of corrupt indigenous rulers by the US government.
-Fierce opposition to foreign invaders by the indigenous population.
-The rise of a thriving underground economy in sex and drugs.
-The need for the occupying power to steadily increase the number of troops in order to maintain minimal order.
-Justification of the occupation in terms of Manichaean good vs. evil terminology.

I await your response.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:25 am
McGentrix wrote:
Heh! That's funny!

You are actually laughing about what? Shocked
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:20 am
Hobit -- On July 17 two generals (ret) were interviewed at length (50 minutes) about the situation in Iraq. When asked whether they thought it comparable to Vietnam, one said he feared that it was, the other demurred, paused, thought, and then said, "We are on the edge guerrilla warfare in Iraq. If these incidents recur or increase, it will quickly become guerrilla warfare and at the point I would agree that it has become another Vietnam." (paraphrase)

Obviously, since July 17, the incidents have not only become more frequent but they have become considerably larger in scale. I'd like to hear those two sober guys interviewed again. There's no question but that they'd agree we're back in Vietnam.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Heh! That's funny!

You are actually laughing about what? Shocked

I am laughing at the hypocracy that is being shown. It makes me laugh.

You guys will only believe what you want, that's funny too. I guess I am laughing at lots of stuff.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:36 pm
Let Mcg laugh, Walter. The guys in white coats are aware of the problem.
0 Replies