correction of sentence

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 08:22 am
Could you please go through the sentence and help me as stated below?

News of Lynda's passing permeated the wide spectrum of believers as evidenced by the grief displayed on their faces, more so at her wake.

1. Is 'spectrum' correctly used? The writer is trying to say the many believers in Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism? I believe the word is wrong, but I cannot think of the correct word. Could you please rephrase the sentence for me if it is necessary to do so?

2. Is 'more so at her wake' correctly used?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 806 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 08:33 am
I can suggest, seeing that you're talking about a religious faction within Buddhism that you consider using the word "sect". The word 'spectrum' wouldn't be correct.

News of Lynda's passing permeated the sect of believers as evidenced by the grief displayed on their faces -- even more so at her wake.

You could even use the name of the sect directly if it's not already clear to your audience.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:10 am
I am a member of Soka Gakkai which was once part of Nichiren Shoshu. I think the usage is correct given the circumstances that many Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai believers are still close.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:16 am
so, to clarify this for me: does that mean you think sect is a wrong choice and spectrum is better? if so, then why that choice?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 02:21 pm
The sentence does not imply one single sect but rather a spectrum of Nichiren Buddhists. Nichiren Shoshu is a sect whereas the Soka Gakkai is also. There may also be other Nichiren sects involved. Therefore, spectrum is best.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 02:25 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News of Lynda's passing permeated the wide spectrum of believers as evidenced by the grief displayed on their faces, more so at her wake.

Is 'spectrum' correctly used?

You said: "The writer is trying to say the many believers in Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism?" - Are you asking a question here???

How do you know the writer is talking about any ONE group? He/she says there was a "wide spectrum of believers" affected. I would tend to believe he meant that there were many people, of all faiths, in attendance at the funeral. Otherwise, the writer would have mentioned the one-faith believers.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 07:40 pm
It sounds to me that in the first part of the sentence, the believers got grief-stricken looks as they first heard of Lynda's death. The people in the second part of the sentence have obviously known about the death for a while; they have been able to plan for and travel to her wake.

So I might say, "As the news of Lynda's passing permeated the crowd, believers from all parts of the spectrum appeared visibly grief-stricken. This sorrow was even more evident at her wake."

More words, but also more clarity.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:31 am
sullyfish6 wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know the writer is talking about any ONE group? He/she says there was a "wide spectrum of believers" affected. I would tend to believe he meant that there were many people, of all faiths

One group of Nichiren Soshu Buddhists were gathered at the wake. No believers of other faiths.
0 Replies

Charlie Chester

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:37 am
Good Afternoon,

I would agree with 'Tanguatlay'. That the word ' Spectrum' suggests more than one faith to be present. 'Plethora', 'multitude' and 'diverse' are similar words that are related too Spectrum.

It appears that the emphasis is to portray a large number of people sharing the same faith. If so, simpler words will surfies. However, there are some abstract methods that could be used to spice up the paragraph.

"all of the believers young and old were stricken with grief at the news of Linda's passing".
"The grief of Linda's passing was thick in the air. All believers were affected by it".
The room was stiff with believers. No sole was left unaffected by the overwhelming grief as the realization of Linda's passing fell upon them".

Spectrum is a great and under used word but i think it does not fit in the context you intended.

: )
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 04:56 pm
I think you can have a spectrum of Nichiren Soshu Buddhists. I think there's a subtle difference between "the spectrum of believers" and "believers across the spectrum."

The first might (and might not) be a variety of people of different religions, but I think the second is clear that the spectrum is contained within this group of believers.

Remember, we're talking about one sentence of a longer piece. I'd bet a silk pajama that the rest of the article makes clear that these are Nichiren Soshu Buddhists who are being affected with grief.

Charlie's suggestions all seem to incompass different religions; I would expect this since he agrees that more than one faith is present. In this case, though, they are not good substitutes.

Let's go back to the beginning. Tanguatlay, what sort of spectrum or variety were you thinking of when you wrote the sentence? People of all ages? People who place differing emphasis on certain aspects of the Nichiren Shoshu tenets? Are there known subsets within this type of Buddhism?

I think that we English users who are unfamiliar with Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism may be making a mountain out of a molehill.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:41 pm
Hi Wy

There is only one Nichiren Soshu sect involved. One of our fellow believers died and she was from our temple. We've the same relgious beliefs.

I hope this makes the question easier to understand.

Thanks, Wy and the other members who have responded.
0 Replies